38 coaches online • Server time: 16:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Omen was amazing, Shadow of the Horned Rat even more so. I really wished they made a couple more. However, what was the problem with these games?

1. They were a one play only, once you finished, you were done.
2. No customisation, nothing to add. In reality Dark Omen could have been an add on.
3. You couldn't play vs real people.

There's so much scope out there surely? Another good tactical old game 'Vandal Hearts' one of the Japanese tactical RPGs. I'd invest a lot of money to play that online, buy extra units, play vs real people. The same with something Dark Omenesque (but a little bit more modern and suited to the market now).
Roland

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

flydd wrote:
Roland wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
...put it all online, a Warhammer version of what we are doing here....

Dark Omen anyone? Very Happy

I still have that game. Was great fun, might need to see if I can get it running again.

I wonder if I still have it too... or if I just borrowed mine...
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I Remember the Wolf knights in that game being vicious and would chasing fleeing enemies until they wiped them out or they run off the map, just couldn't stop them LOL

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Dark Omen was amazing, Shadow of the Horned Rat even more so. I really wished they made a couple more. However, what was the problem with these games?

1. They were a one play only, once you finished, you were done.
2. No customisation, nothing to add. In reality Dark Omen could have been an add on.
3. You couldn't play vs real people.

There's so much scope out there surely? Another good tactical old game 'Vandal Hearts' one of the Japanese tactical RPGs. I'd invest a lot of money to play that online, buy extra units, play vs real people. The same with something Dark Omenesque (but a little bit more modern and suited to the market now).

well... Rolling Eyes
http://forum.dark-omen.org/dark-omen-expanded/dark-omen-2-released-beta-t926.0.html
http://www.dark-omen.org/
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazing how quickly this went from a development thread into a nostalgy thread.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking more along the lines of is if all of the old places/landmarks are being erased why don't we (blood bowl) start again ourselves?

E.G: Set Blood Bowl on a continent called Amorica, roughly the same shape, size and geographical formations of North America instead of the Empire. Have the main human language as 16th century English not Germanic and a similar level of technology.

Predominant racial locations:

Mountainous regions: Dwarves, Skaven, Night Goblins
Coastal regions: Humans, High Elves, Pro Elves
Swampland: Goblins, Orcs, Lizardmen, Amazons
Desert: Khemri
Arctic: Norse
Woodland: Wood Elves, Forest Goblins, Savage Orcs
Las Vegas: Dark Elves
Texas: Beastmen
General easy farming land: Humans, Halflings
Wilds: Chaos, Ogres, Vampire, Necromantic

So Philadelphia Eagles = coastal. Lets choose Pro Elves. Elvish for Philadelphia might be Filelfia. So you get the Filelfia Eagles Pro Elf football team.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Amazing how quickly this went from a development thread into a nostalgy thread.

oops, sorry about that Smile

on topic again!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You mean make it more akin to American Football? I'd have to ask why?

All you're doing is handicapping the fluff side due to marrying with a real life format.

I dislike what they did with 3rd ed i.e. killing off the NAF and making it all freelance and cheaper. The idea that the stars are all freelance works well with the game, but is a bit odd fluffwise. Ok Griff Tuesday you have 8 games, 3 in the old world, 2 in the new world 1 in Norsica.......then Wednesday you're....

Personally for immersion, I would want us to stay static, borrowing concepts that aid creation.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually saying that, that's not a million miles away from where I think BB should be. Here is my fluff for the BB world.

https://fumbbl.com/help:SecretLeagueclassic
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulander wrote:
ogre blood bowl teams have nothing to do with the ogre kingdoms anyway.

I did not know this. Can I make the case for Ogres being in the Light Qualifiers of the Ulthuan Invitational so that they get to squish more elves? Razz
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well here you have a fluff problem. Ogres existed before the Ogre Kingdom. So where did the Ogres come from and why don't they use Gnoblars?

There certainly is room for Ogre Kingdom teams, aka the stunty roster.

Ogre teams are based off of the fluff for Oldheim Ogres, that had a few bits and bobs written about them in 2nd edition. Now back then GW were good at throwing you bits and pieces.

You could use them for immersion or you could create something of your own. RPG elements were stronger back then, as that is what the company started out doing.

Of course as we went on, everything became tighter and more regimental. Creating your own wild bit wasn't so cool, as GW explored more of the world and made things more categorical (rather than the vague, there's masses of room to do what you want approach).

Oldheim Ogres were made up from Ogres and Goblins (and maybe humans later on). This is what the roster replicated, this team. However, now the goblins have been replaced by snotlings.

A bad fluff move and a bad balance move.
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Think more inspired by American Football than directly tied to it.

Also a single continent containing all of the preferred living locations of all the current races makes more sense than having them spread out over the whole world.

I think what I am trying to say is that if GW destroy the current Warhammer setting then as blood bowl coaches we are under no obligation to follow GW into their new setting. We can properly sever any fluff links with what GW are doing and go our own similar but separate way.

E.G: GW says Dwarfs get wiped out, do we follow along with this or not?

I think this year zero fluff reset gives us the perfect opportunity to break away from GW and its influence. Lets as a community create our own fluff and class it as Fumbbl cannon which nerds like myself can obsess over whilst other more rational people can just get on with playing the game.
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
However, now the goblins have been replaced by snotlings.
A bad fluff move and a bad balance move.

eh Amen.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Great_Gobbo wrote:
I think what I am trying to say is that if GW destroy the current Warhammer setting then as blood bowl coaches we are under no obligation to follow GW into their new setting.

Agreed!

The_Great_Gobbo wrote:
E.G: GW says Dwarfs get wiped out, do we follow along with this or not?

Lets not wait and wipe out all dorfs now. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I think we have been breaking away from GW and their 'fluff' influences or......threatening too. Too many coaches have little idea or care about the world it's set in. Actually they do care, but they don't realise it.

Personally, I think we're at a time where we need to tie ourselves to GW's immersion influence. We're kind of in a similar but totally different situation ourselves.

Where Warhammer is having a fluff reset. Bloodbowl authority is changing hands. Who's to say those that will/are now controlling BB will send our game and fluff?

The BB world fluff is pretty good; ok I think we need stadiums and locations, but to drop all Warhammer reference would be a bad idea in my opinion. It's doubtful we/they/you would do a better job (in my opinion).

However, we are reaching a point in time, where our only limit is our own creativity. Who know what will happen when league becomes fully custom, and what will appear. Secret League isn't the be all and end all of creativity.

Hell, I have a working version of One Piece Bowl, with 100s of icons that is playable now!

The only limit I guess is how many people you can get involved.
 Jump to: