29 coaches online • Server time: 01:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
So, where can i find actual whole written rules for swiss-type tourneys? I understand That I wind up playing coaches closer to my level eventually but no why.

There are diff variations worldwide, but in short, here's how it works on this site:

You start with some initial seeding and pairing - random, by CR, by TV, reverse TV or CR, whatever.

As games get played, teams become ranked, usually by their win/loss record - win and you gain more ranking points, lose and you don't. (The "points" earned for that ranking vary, but usually based on W/T/L, followed by tie-breakers based on TD diff + Cas diff, or some variation on that.)

The order can continually change round to round, but the winning teams are toward the top, the losing toward the bottom.

After Round 1, the #1 team is paired with the next highest team that they have NOT played. Usually in Round 2 that's the #2 team, but if ! & 2 played Round 1 it's #1 vs. #3. Then the next highest unpaired team is paired with the next highest-ranked team that they have not played - and so on down the list until everyone has their pairing.

If some teams lose a LOT, they float around the bottom, and are paired last, and can play each other more than once - lose continually, and that's what happens.

So the winning-est teams all sift toward the top, where they are going to play each other sooner or later (assuming there are more rounds to play).

At the end of the pre-established number of rounds, the highest-ranked team wins.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
grant85

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

21 matches to go!
Sainthropee

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

grant85 wrote:
21 matches to go!

Go go go!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Almost time for round 3. Most of us are chomping at the bit and ready to go, but if you're one of those struggling to play, remember I need to be aware of all of the facts.

Hope those games are scheduled!

Gogogo! Very Happy
mawph

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing to see here, All fixed Wink
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

7 to go! Will they all get done!

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Down to 6 games, and 45 minutes to finish up. Only saw 1 underway in the active Games section...

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if the # of forfeits will grow for each round like this...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Group PM for round 3:

Hi gang,

As ever, do not reply to this PM, please instead use the forum for any discussion.

Round 3 of the Road to the NAF Championship is go, go, GO! Almost halfway now, keep up the momentum!

Round 2 was another cracker, although we had a small handful of forfeits this time. Coaches who incurred a forfeit should schedule their round 3 game quickly, as we have a waiting list of coaches primed and ready to go if it becomes clear you’ve left us. We want to fill up the tournament with active coaches, and we’ll swap in keen people if necessary!

To the vast majority; keep up the good work!

Phil / Purplegoo.

As an addition to the PM, which I wanted to keep brief, a note on forfeits, which have become more of an occurrence this round (if still a minor one).

The spirit of the -5 point forfeit loss is to penalise those who make little or no effort (or forget) to communicate and play their game or drop out of the tournament. In one case, it has been clear that both coaches involved worked hard to play the game, and that there has been a reasonable real life circumstance that has got in the way (which has then been very well communicated as the round went on).

We've spoken about this as an admin team, and our decision is that when a coach that fits the above description, forfeits a round and then plays his following game according to schedule, we will change the forfeit penalty from -5 to -1. This forfeit is far less harsh, and the coach should be able to work himself back into things. We'll apply the same logic to any games where coaches have done their best to play, communicated well, but sadly not managed it due to an unexpected problem, and leave the -5 penalty for those that are clearly not making the effort to schedule the game in good time or are simply silent. We feel this revision is far more in the spirit of what we’re trying to do, and for getting Blood Bowl games played.

We treat forfeits on a case by case basis, and are based upon information received before 22:00 server time on a Friday night. 6/254 games ending in forfeits is not a disaster by any means, but let’s do our best to keep the ratio as good or better going forward! Very Happy

Thanks, and good luck with round 3! Smile
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
I wonder if the # of forfeits will grow for each round like this...

Without a doubt. I would wager that a number of coaches here are competitive (some more than others)and once the chance of winning disappears so will any enthusiasm of playing. Such is the curse of FUMBBL's structure...It poisons many coaches to this type of tourney, which has to be how the game is meant to be played and was played before the likes of FUMBBL. I know it has for me....

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I won't go into too much on forfeits, but I think it would be wrong to be pessimistic rather than to just see how it goes. There are good reasons for continuing playing if 6/0/0 is impossible, namely possible exclusion from future events, online NAF ranking, the prize draw for coaches that complete all 6 games and just enjoying the resurrection format, which is currently exclusive.

And if all that doesn't work, we have a waiting list. Your place is not guaranteed if you're not playing games!

6/254 is worse than 0/254, but it's certainly no crisis. Let's see how we go on. Wink
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I can understand the sentiment. Thing is: playing tabletop, it makes sense to have everyone play 6 games over the course of 2 days. If you're out of the running, at least you're still drinking with mates for the weekend. In league (online or TT), once you're out, you're still building your team for next season, and you still have the chance to kill that damn +ST +AG gutter runner. With online + resurrection + swiss, they become one-off games against random online people (or against Purplechest!) with little more to be gained from them. Fun as a single game of blood bowl may be; much of the charm is in the ability to (s)kill players.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Not everyone participates in a Blood Bowl tournament with only winning in mind. I know it's an odd concept, but some people just enjoy getting 6 games and seeing where they end up. Wink It's game 3 of the first tournament of this kind. It's far too early to be making predictions of this kind.

Anyway. Line drawn, for me at least. Onto round 3. Where are the juiciest looking encounters going to come?
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of online NAF Ranking, does that exist anywhere yet or is this tournament setting the bar (so to speak)?

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It does not currently exist. We intend that it will following this tournament, it's a work in progress. Smile
 Jump to: