38 coaches online • Server time: 08:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about to start a TT BB league and I've decided to go with my favorite race, the Chaos Dwarfs. I'm leaning heavily toward the 5 CDB, 2 BC, 3 RR team since I have the BC models and I love those guys.

Does anyone have good tips for a new Chaos Dwarf player? In particular I'd love to learn a few "go-to" formations and plays I can lean on until I get a better feel for the team.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I have found that starting with 6 CDB is great. 1 BC to start. When he gets B/BT then you can get the other one if you like. Hobbos? Lots of people swear that they are great but I tend to just put them in harms way or lend assists.

A lot depends on who carries the ball. Because I use the BC as a ball carrier I treat hobbos like that. If you do carry with hobbos it changes the dynamic a bit. Anyway, sure coaches who are TONS better will give you advice but it has worked for me.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't got round to chaos dwarfs yet and I am sure there are many more qualified to talk on this. The one thing I'll throw in because I don't know how good you are (having not played on here yet). Gfi less than you think with the centaurs. Less good coaches think surefeet makes it pretty safe. 1 in 36 fail right? But if both bulls are doing it every turn you can easily get to 1 in 36 once a half.

Someone else will undoubtedly go with the only half joking - get claw, get mighty blow, get piling on.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

About the bull: Wich one would you prefer? 1 bull or 3 hobbos? The costs are similar. I would probably not buy both bulls. If it is a short league, then I would carry the ball with hobbos. If it is an infinite league, then I would probably still carry the ball with the hobbos until the bull gets a normal skill, then take sure hands, and carry with the bull, and grow from there.
If you want to win the league, then your best bet is to buy exactly one bull, use it as a sweeper who shores up the weakness (being slow) of your dorfs, and carry the ball with the hobbos.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir and PeteW are the coaches whose replays I watched to get a handle on the team, especially PeteW for early on.
I recommend starting with 6 CDBs and 2 BCs and only 2RR if you are good enough to handle it.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
About the bull: Wich one would you prefer? 1 bull or 3 hobbos? The costs are similar. I would probably not buy both bulls. If it is a short league, then I would carry the ball with hobbos. If it is an infinite league, then I would probably still carry the ball with the hobbos until the bull gets a normal skill, then take sure hands, and carry with the bull, and grow from there.
If you want to win the league, then your best bet is to buy exactly one bull, use it as a sweeper who shores up the weakness (being slow) of your dorfs, and carry the ball with the hobbos.

This is good advice. The only thing I'd do differently is to carry the ball with the bull from the outset (or at least try to give him the ball for scores). The problem there is one of reroll management, you have to be very careful since you will need the rr for the bull pickup/catch to get it to 75%.

But, if you can skill your bull quickly to block and then sure hands (dodge if you get a double) you'll be in great shape. Normal skill progression would be block/sure hands/break tackle.

With one double you take dodge in there. With 2 doubles you consider skipping the 2nd, or you take side step. You take any stat, clearly MA over AV. I don't feel too strongly about taking +AG though, sure hands is a good enough compensation, and you still will prefer break tackle for dodging.

The problem with scoring with hobbers is that they tend to become TV bloat quickly. Ideally you want them to only take dp, unless they get a double or a stat. You even want to consider scoring with your blockers (when it's safe) because getting a pomber fast is very effective, and you benefit greatly from guard as well.
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the fast advice! I really appreciate it.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Malmir and PeteW are the coaches whose replays I watched to get a handle on the team, especially PeteW for early on.
I recommend starting with 6 CDBs and 2 BCs and only 2RR if you are good enough to handle it.

Where can I watch these replays?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=716600

If you scroll down there is a list of all of the games. Click the green circle on the left of the match u want which will take u to the match report and from there click on replay link at the top.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a few games under my belt and I decided to restart my team now that I have a better feel. I took your advice and went with the 1 bull, 4 rr start. I'm planning to use my hobgoblins as my primary ball handlers. What's the best way to skill them up? With A3, pickups are scary. Should I go for Sure Hands on the first one to get a skill up to have a better ballhandler?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

bull carry ball greenies are weak and slave mens no trust them

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
bull carry ball greenies are weak and slave mens no trust them

Da Tovarishch.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing as someone who uses the hobs as carriers and scorers because I roll too poorly for bulls to make a difference even with surehands, you're going to want a primary scorer with surehands/pro and a safety with kick/wrestle. I use my bulls as mostly blitzers when the sure feet don't fail me.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Im 6-2-1 as a very marginal BB player and i started with this roster. Cdorfs are as close to ez mode as it gets in BB.
 Jump to: