41 coaches online • Server time: 18:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

It's that time of the season again - the scheming has been schemed, the intrigue has been intrigued, and the drafting has been drafted - and the OWCC Executive Committee are pleased to announced the results from the Drafting Hall for the eighth OWCC Draft, brought to you by the Nilfheim Lumberjacks and the New Bretonnia Expatriates:

Round 1
Nidhoggstad Icedragons automatically drafted to Albion.
Serpents Coast Scavengers automatically transferred to Bretonnia.

The two Conference champs met up again for the first time since the Cup final to carry out this season's draft. Since they are both staying in their respective conferences (New Bretonnia Expatriates in Albion and Nilfheim Lumberjacks in Bretonnia), there were some automatic draft movements before the draft even really got started. Due to the one team of each race per conference rule, the returning Nidhoggstad Icedragons (who have been on a sabbatical in the Great North) go straight to Albion, while the Serpents Coast Scavengers get transferred over to Bretonnia (a division they won back in Season V).

Round 2
Turov's Infected transferred to Albion
Diseased Wasters automatically transferred to Bretonnia.
Athel Loren BBoDT transferred to Bretonnia.

In contrast to last season, when the opening shots of the draft were to keep the status quo, this time it was all change. Since the Albion Conference won the Inter-Conference Shield (convincingly), the Expats got the first pick, and they chose to switch Nurgle teams from last season, bringing the Infected over and sending the Wasters to Bretonnia. With their first pick, the Lumberjacks chose to import the Athel Loren BBoDT to Bretonnia. This was something they tried to do early in the draft last season as well, but the Lumberjacks were thwarted by the Vagabonds' Royal Pardon, who sent the BBoDT over to Albion in their place. Will they stay in Bretonnia again this season?

Round 3
Gotland Gorers transferred to Albion.
Wasteland Vagabonds automatically stay in Bretonnia.
Malice of Karond Kar stay in Bretonnia.

Next, the Expats chose the Gotland Gorers, bringing them over to Albion for their first appearance in that division. As a consequence, the Wasteland Vagabonds were forced to stay in Bretonnia for another season. The Lumberjacks' second move was to keep the Malice of Karond Kar in Bretonnia - a pattern is definitely starting to form...

Round 4
Marienburg Magpies drafted to Albion.
Palinam Diadochi transferred to Bretonnia.

The Marienburg Magpies were the first team to be drafted from last season's Kislev Conferences, and they went to Albion. They finished 2nd in their division last season and competed in the Playoffs, where they came bottom, but were put forward for promotion anyway. Next, the Lumberjacks kept their elven theme going by bringing Diadochi over to Bretonnia to join the other elves. So far, of the ten teams to be drafted, only two have stayed in the same conference.

Round 5
Apuccini Avalanches drafted to Albion.
Frostheim United stay in Bretonnia.

The Expats picked up another playoff team for the Albion Conference in the fifth round, the Apuccini Avalanches, who finished second in the promotion playoffs. Having almost run out of elves to pick, the Lumberjacks decided to keep the Chaos Dwarves of Frostheim United in their division.

Round 6
Arkhan Faraohs transferred to Albion.
Scalded Delta Dogz stay in Bretonnia.

Quick draft trivia for you: the Arkhan Faraohs were picked in the sixth round of last season's draft as well, when they were chosen by the Bretonnians. This time, it was the representative of Albion, the New Bretonnia Expatriates, who decided to draft the Khemri team, bringing them across the Middle Sea to Albion. With their final pick of the draft, the Lumberjacks chose to re-sign the Scalded Delta Dogz for Bretonnia.

Round 7
Remnants of Kriegfeld drafted to Albion.
Barak Varr Goldlords stay in Albion.
Castle Drachenfels choose to join Albion.
Elves of Albion automatically stay in Bretonnia.

To even up the divisions, the Expats had two free picks in the final round, and they used them to draft the Remnants of Kriegfeld (winners of their Kislev division, and the Kislev Plate, and holders of a Royal Pardon) and to keep the Goldlords in the Albion Conference (which they have won three times). As top scoring Kislev Champion from last season, Castle Drachenfels were then admitted to the draft hall, shown the current state of the board, and asked to choose which Conference to join. Perhaps looking forward to cutting through some heavy armour, or perhaps scared off by the elves, Drachenfels chose to join the Expats in Albion. This sent the last undrafted team, the Elves of Albion (who also hold a Royal Pardon) to Bretonnia with all the other elves.

Royal Pardons
Remnants of Kriegfeld switch to Bretonnia
Diseased Wasters switch to Albion

Elves of Albion switch to Albion
Barak Varr Goldlords switch to Bretonnia

The draft complete, the only two teams with any friends in high places began to pull some strings behind the draft committee's backs. The Remnants of Kriegfeld, arguably the stars of the Kislev divisions last season, decided they would rather compete in Bretonnia, and called in their favours to switch with the Diseased Wasters (making Albion a Nurgle-heavy environment). The Elves of Albion were also eyeing a move, perhaps because they wanted to be the only elves in the village, or perhaps to avoid their arch-nemeses, the dwarves. Either way, they persuaded the lords of Albion to accept them into the Albion Conference, sending the Goldlords over to Bretonnia (where they have been much less successful in the past).

After all the movement, this is how the two conferences look:

Albion
New Bretonnia Expatriates
Nidhoggstad Icedragons
Turov's Infected
Gotland Gorers
Marienburg Magpies
Apuccini Avalanches
Arkhan Faraohs
Diseased Wasters
Elves of Albion
Castle Drachenfels

Bretonnia
Nilfheim Lumberjacks
Serpents Coast Scavengers
Remnants of Kriegfeld
Athel Loren BBoDT
Wasteland Vagabonds
Malice of Karond Kar
Palinam Diadochi
Frostheim United
Scalded Delta Dogz
Barak Varr Goldlords

What are your thoughts on the draft? Are you where you want to be? Do you think everyone got their strategy right? Let us know!

We are looking for a few more Kislevite teams to join up, and then we'll start Season IX (if you know anyone who might be interested, send them my way). We hope to get things going by the end of next week. In the meantime, continue to play friendlies if you'd like.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that played out almost perfectly. Except for the point where the Elves of Albion inexplicably decided to switch conferences. Why gibby, why? We had a nice conference with juicy elf teams, low on the bashing-front and most importantly, without the dwarves! I'm really curious what made you switch?
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

BlueDevil420 wrote:
Well, that played out almost perfectly. Except for the point where the Elves of Albion inexplicably decided to switch conferences. Why gibby, why? We had a nice conference with juicy elf teams, low on the bashing-front and most importantly, without the dwarves! I'm really curious what made you switch?

Yeah, the Elves of Albion really screwed over their elven cousins by adding the dwarves to the party!

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I´m glad to be back guys. I hope you arent!

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I got to avoid both the Dwarfs & the Chaos variant as well. Plus I've not really played in the coaches from that division so I thought why not.
ttorvatn

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. We are finally back in Bretonnia. Albion was a nice change, but no place is like home! And there are lots of nice elf teams here to beat up Smile But wait, what are those pesky shorties doing here? Money must certainly have changed hands here, and its a safe bet that there are imprints of grubby dwarven hands all over them... Smile
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

bwahahahaha
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Winni wrote:
I´m glad to be back guys. I hope you arent!

Good news for the League, even if might be bad news for your opponents! ;D

WB!

gjopie wrote:
Royal Pardons
Remnants of Kriegfeld switch to Bretonnia
Diseased Wasters switch to Albion

Nuuuuuuuuu!

1st pick, down the tubes. Ah well, such is the nature of Royal Pardons. Razz

BlueDevil420 wrote:
Well, that played out almost perfectly.

Yeah, I've been in your position, not really caring about how the double-races split. I figured you might go that way, with your AV 7, no reason to care about claw - can't say the same here.

Well played!

Quote:
Elves of Albion switch to Albion
Barak Varr Goldlords switch to Bretonnia

Shocked

Not shocked at the choice*, but no traditional Expats-Goldlords game to kick off the Season! Crying or Very sad

(* Makes total sense to me, escape semi-Tackle-spam of Ch. Dwarfs and also dodge the full Tackle/MB-spam of League-dominant Dwarfs GoldLords, as well as the unfriendly block-spam of the #2 'Jacks (who add Frenzy, MB, and 4 Tacklers (inc. all in 1 PO player!) to the incentive to leave).

I'd be surprised if there were a dozen Tacklers in the whole of Albion now! If they can escape/survive all the predominantly non-Tackle bash, they could do ~really~ well.)

I guess we start the season off against... Nurgle. Joy. With another almost guaranteed during the season, and possibly twice in a row. Rolling Eyes

Have fun with the Goldlords, BD! ;D

(And they should have fun with your picks! They have even more reason to want elves than you do! You may have tee'd them up to win Bretonnia.) Wink

Quote:
After all the movement, this is how the two conferences look:

Albion
New Bretonnia Expatriates
Nidhoggstad Icedragons
Turov's Infected
Gotland Gorers
Marienburg Magpies
Apuccini Avalanches
Arkhan Faraohs
Diseased Wasters
Elves of Albion
Castle Drachenfels

Urgh - 2 Nurgle teams? Seems a lot of bash and not much finesse - could get bloody.

But, that hiccup aside, I got my next top 3 picks, and don't have to face the G-Lords (until post season).

Quote:
Bretonnia
Nilfheim Lumberjacks
Serpents Coast Scavengers
Remnants of Kriegfeld
Athel Loren BBoDT
Wasteland Vagabonds
Malice of Karond Kar
Palinam Diadochi
Frostheim United
Scalded Delta Dogz
Barak Varr Goldlords

Tackle-spam v. Ag 4 dodge - could be ugly, one way or another. Lots of phyrric elven victories threatening. :/

And somehow the 'Jacks ended up with the top 3 highest TV teams (1920-1850) and then the 6th-9th highest* (ending at 1670) - thanks, TV isn't everything, but looks like a season of facing Wizards and 'Saws for the bloaty Expats. Evil or Very Mad

(* #4 & 5 are 1840 & 1830, then Albion has 1610 and below.)

League Commissioner gjopie wrote:
We are looking for a few more Kislevite teams to join up, and then we'll start Season IX (if you know anyone who might be interested, send them my way). We hope to get things going by the end of next week. In the meantime, continue to play friendlies if you'd like.

This is a great League, competitive yet friendly, and with a well-balanced feeder division that's a great way for new coaches/teams to build up before playing the League vets.

Come join the fun!

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Leilond

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it going to be opened a Season IX thread? Or we continue on this one?
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond wrote:
Is it going to be opened a Season IX thread? Or we continue on this one?

Sorry, forgot to change the title! Continue this one.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok!
I'll report here my two blog entries for the OWCC, for all the forum members that, not being OWCC members, didn't recived the PM
The first is the thought of some team rats before the first match: Leilond OWCC Entry 1
The second is a match report, from the point of view of the rat coach and the two most charismatic players of the team: Leilond OWCC Entry 2

Most (if not all) of you already read it

Here is a more "conventional" report of the first Kislev Conference Match
Match report
The match started with a double rock thrown by the crowd. The first niggled a linerat, the second stunned the goblin
FIRST HALF
The first half was entirely consumed by the orcs, slowly advancing with the ball, well contained by the rats, until turn 7, wen the orcs finally managed to open an hole and a failed dodge of a line rat failed to close it.
The rat tried a one turn touch down, but the rat designed to score it failed the first dodge and the half ended
SECOND HALF
The second half started with a perfect defence for the Orc. The rats was forced to recede and concede pitch to the orcs, that decided not tu pressure but to completely stand on the LOS, waiting for the skaven to advance.
I had a choice to make. Stay far from thos orcs waiting for me util turno 6-7 and then "hole and score" in last turn, leaving the opportunity to a throw team mate, or score quickly, hoping to have the chance to steal the ball and win.
Too greedy, I tried to win, but Nuffle didn't agreed with my choice. A snake by a gutter at mid-half and a failed 3+ of a line rat (-ST) the subsequent turn, finally conceded enough field to the Orcs to protect the ball and score in the last turn.

I should have probably scored in my turn 6 (instead of 4), giving my opponent very few chance to score in two turns, and hope for a blitz or a failed pickup to score myself in two turns.
BlueDevil420

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2015 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Nilfheim Lumberjacks vs Serpent Coast Scavengers: Monday 23rd March, 21.00bbtime. Bring your own rocks!
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2015 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Turov's Infected, monster Nurgle, v. Expats at BB 2100 today.

Aim for the Claw, pls. Laughing

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Leilond

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my third blog entry for the OWCC. The prematch coach speach for The Foul Peak Crawlers skaven team against the Karak Raziak Ironclads dwarf team, scheduled for tomorrow (tuesday) at 21.00, second turn Kislev conference

You can find it, as usually, in my team bio page too
Leilond

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

My opponent will roll a blitz, in the first turn of the match... and one of my gutter will die... I felt it in the bones since I woke up

Ehm... I think I need some help if I start the day thinking a match I have to play at evening
 Jump to: