20 coaches online • Server time: 06:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to my team blog for my new Ranked Vampire team, Fantasy Violence. I'm doing this to hopefully provide some entertainment, but more to get feedback on what I'm doing right or (especially) wrong with my team to try and become a better player. So please comment, ask questions and provide (constructive) criticism. I'll keep an updated roster of the team here. I'll post game recaps as replies and link them here. Enjoy Smile

Why Vampires?

Vampires is the team I was most drawn to when I got into Blood Bowl a few weeks ago because, well, Vampires. I tried an early match with them and immediately understood why they were not recommended for beginners. After about a dozen matches with other teams I decided to revisit my first love with a little. Orr knowledge at my side. After 3 games, I'm still making a ton of mistakes, but I have a much better handle on how to run the team. Hopefully this thread will make me even better.

Why Fantasy Violence?

Anyone in the US should be familiar with the TV rating system for parental guidance. My favorite line in that system is "Fantasy Violence." Apollo Creed punching Rocky in the face is violence, but Bugs Bunny hitting Wile E. Coyote with a sledge hammer is "fantasy violence." I find that hilarious. To me, it fits Blood Bowl perfectly.

The Current Team

I went with the 2 Vampire, 10 Thrall, 5 RR starting team. I wanted some Vamps at the start, but was able to restrain myself and run a team that can grow in the long term. I decided to name my Vampires after cartoon, comic and puppet Vampires and my Thralls after henchmen from similar shows and series.

The Count - Vampire - 1, 2, 3 die block, ah, ah, ah
Chocula - Vampire - Everyone's favorite blood sucking breakfast mogul
Harley - Thrall - The Queen of all henchmen
Bebop, Rocksteady- Thralls - It's going to be sad when one dies
Salacious Crumb - Thrall - Creepiest henchman ever
Henchman #21- Thrall - Venture Bros best unnamed henchman
Muttley- Thrall - Too bad Dick Dastardly isn't a Vampire
Evil-Lyn- Thrall - The most competent of Skeletor's many incompetent henchmen
Spike- Thrall - Twilight Sparkle isn't a villain but he's still a great henchman
The Forehead- Thrall - The Tick's foes had lots of great henchmen but he stood out
Beeker - Thrall - I always thought Dr. Bunsen was a little sinister, which makes Beeker an ace henchmen

Last edited by Angmarred on Mar 14, 2015 - 16:15; edited 1 time in total
skinnydookie

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Luck with the team!

To me 5 RR was waaay too much. IMO the more vamps you have the more re-rolls you generally need so with only starting with two vamps....I would go max 3 re-rolls unless you go to 5 vamps but of course thats just personal taste!

Vamps are one of my favourite teams so I am sure you will have lots of fun!
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have aimed for 3 Vamps and 4 RRs personally.
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Game 1

Military Marauders, TV 950 Chaos Pact

Game 1 was against a weird Chaos Pact team of all Marauders. My opponent was super chill and this seemed like a great first game for a rookie Vampire Squad

Pre-game

No inducements. MM wins the toss and elects to receive, which I like since I can play D with my full squad. I set up in a basic defensive setup. Thralls on the line, second line and holding the flanks. Vampires in the weak spots of my D. He sets up in a tight formation, using his 2 Guard players to gets 2d blocks with a small line. I kick to a conservative spot. He gets a Quick Snap but doesn't move much.

MM Turn 1
He pushes my line back and blitzes a small opening on the top side, then sets up a semi-cage just past the midline.

FV Turn 1
I try to set up as many 2d blocks as possible. I blitz a gap to get a Thrall and a Vamp next to his ball carrier (NB, I'm a dummy and don't quite understand how Hypnotic Gaze works at this point, thinking it prevents him from moving and misuse it for the first few games). My players are converging on the ball, but I do leave him room to maneuver with some doges.

MM Turn 2
He maneuvers like he's planning to swing the ball the other way to get away from the majority of my team. He gets a Both Down on his 3rd block of the turn and elects not to use a re-roll, leaving the ball exposed.

FV Turn 2
I don't get the ball free, but get some good blocks, KOing one guy and stunning another. I get the ball surrounded by a Thrall and 2 Vamps. The ball-carrier never activates and remains Gazed, which is very helpful.

MM Turn 3
He uses a RR to dodge a guy into turn 4 scoring position, then attempts a very risky pass, which is accurate, but the receiver drops it. Even if he had caught it, I have a lot of guys free to converge on the ball.

FV Turn 3
I decide to make some blocks before securing the ball and get lucky. I don't get his receiver down with my blitz and have to waste a RR on a GFI to get one of my vamps to ball and manage to pass a 4+ pickup. I'm playing too risky and trying to force the ball to my vamps here, but I'm still new.

MM Turn 4
His team is pretty well marked, so he can only push my line around and not really put a lot of pressure on the ball. His red block on the ballcarrier actually puts him in a better position than he was in before.

FV Turn 4
I use a RR on Bloodlust and Blitz with the ball carrier to get the only guy in my way for a relatively clear path on the bottom. I get lucky with both the 2d block and a pointless GFI to get the ball into a good spot. I fail another Bloodlust with my other vamp (NB I also don't quite understand how Bloodlust works at this point and neglect to make my block before biting Muttley). I make some risky GFI to better mark the only guys that can threaten the ball.

MM Turn 5
He puts some pressure on the ball and fails a RR'd Dodge. At this point he has numbers near the ball, but doesn't have any answers for my vamp carrier, which evens the odds.

FV Turn 5
I move some guys into good marking positions. A get a 2d block on his ball marker, but roll Both Down.

MM Turn 6
He uses his blitz to Badly Hurt Henchman #21 and get a guy in front of the ball. He sets up some marks then fails a dodge (something that helped me a lot this game).

FV Turn 6
I set up some 2d blocks to get a path cleared for the ball. Chocula fails a 2+ dodge, which puts the ball loose in a great position for him.

MM Turn 7
He makes some blocks, which seemed like an unnecessary risk at this point, then fails his pickup roll twice. This is great for me, but he can still score if I don't secure the ball.

FV Turn 7
I try to Blitz Chocula into a good spot to cover the ball, but fail another 2+ dodge.

MM turn 8
He again fails his pickup roll, saving me. He was also going to Pass and not Handover, which seemed like a risky option.

FV Turn 8
I can't score, so I try to get some KO, but manage only 1 on him and 1 on myself.

Halftime Summary
0-0 after my defensive half is good for me. I have 2 Badly Hurt and KO compared to 2 KO for him, so we both look to be playing a man down in the 2nd half. In the first half, we both took a lot of unnecessary risks and it hurt us both.

He sets up with a very wide line and the flanks not tightly covered. I set up to try and get 2d blocks on all 3 linemen and get a 2d blitz on one in his 2nd line. I'm still forcing the ball to my vamps, so set them up deep, with a Thrall in place in case they need to feed.

FV Turn 1
Another Quick Snap really helps me to get everyone in great positions to rumble down the field. I get some nice blocks and a blitz and manage to set up a cage in my half with not a lot of standing opponents nearby.

MM Turn 1
He manages to KO Harley and sets up a line in front of my cage. He marks a lot of my guys.

FV Turn 2
I use a RR on a block by a Thrall to open a path along the bottom sideline and set up a half cage down there. A blitz by my other vamp and some maneuvering covers the most direct path he has to the ball. I get some luck one 1d blocks to mark all his closest players to the ball. I fail a dodge try to get my furthest guy into a better position.

MM Turn 2
He blocks some guys free, but cant actually get anyone in front of the ball.

FV Turn 3
I make a risky dodge with a vamp to try and gaze the one guy marking my cage, but fail. I block that guy away and move my cage up, making a risky blitz (using a RR in the process) with my ball carrier to unmark the cage.

MM Turn 3
He uses his RR on a GFI to get a Guarder into position to assist a 1d blitz on the ball. That comes up skulls and he has already used his RR.

FV Turn 4
A 2d block gets the ball free and after using a RR on Bloodlust, I decide to try and stall at the goal line. Given the position, I'm not sure if that was the best plan.

MM turn 4
He marks my cage, but then rather than try to just mark the ball, he attempts a red block on the ball. Even after RR, I was able to select Both Down and the ball scatters into the end zone.

FV Turn 5
I decide to make a 2d blitz to get a Thrall next to the ball before picking it up with my vamp and scoring.

MM Turn 5
Everyone stays KO, so I'm now up a man 9-8. He sets up in a very deep formation allowing me to get pressure early. Perfect D allows me to negate his block on the line and get all my Thralls up to really press him. He makes a risky Pass, which works. A draw is very possible at this point, so it seems a little early to fish for SPP. He gets some good 1d blocks to set up 2d blocks and my line gets pushed back.

FV Turn 6
I send 2 Thralls to make his likely receiver, pressure his line and move my vamps up to get at the ball. I again misuse Hypnotic Gaze.

MM Turn 6
First thing he does is make a red block on my vamp, which nets him a skull. Not sure what he was thinking there as he had a guy free to assist.

FV Turn 7
I get his only guy in scoring range down (messing up what should have been a crowd push in the process). I move my Thralls up to support. The Count blitzes the ball free and he moves to block it. Chocula dodges free and gets the ball, but then fails a pointless GFI and loses it.

MM Turn 7
He gets his guy into position to protect the ball, but then fails the pickup and it bounces into a better spot for me.

FV Turn 8
I move a Thrall into the endzone, then blitz/dodge/pickup and score with Chocula. That's his 2nd TD of the match and a guaranteed skillup.

MM Turn 8
I forget it's the last turn of the game and leave my vamps vulnerable to a blitz. Thankfully he just makes some blocks on the LOS and makes a pass for some SPP.

Game over. 2-0 victory for the Vampires. No casualties, sadly, but The Count gets MVP, so my vamps are at 6 and 5 spp respectively. Chocula rolls a normal skill and I pick block.
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

skinnydookie wrote:
Good Luck with the team!

To me 5 RR was waaay too much. IMO the more vamps you have the more re-rolls you generally need so with only starting with two vamps....I would go max 3 re-rolls unless you go to 5 vamps but of course thats just personal taste!

Vamps are one of my favourite teams so I am sure you will have lots of fun!

Antithesisoftime wrote:
I'd have aimed for 3 Vamps and 4 RRs personally.

Thanks for the fast feedback guys! Even with 5, I have found I'm missing them more than I'm having excess. I think 5 was the right number for me. Getting a 3rd Vamp is definitely high on my priority list, if I can keep some Thralls alive, that is Smile
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2015 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Five rrs is probably necessary if you're determined not to suffer from Bloodlust. In my experience saving a rr and eating a thrall is often preferable to burning rrs. However, I've never played with 5 rrs on my Vampire teams Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2015 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Game 2

Goddess of the ancirnt world2, Amazon

Game 2 was against an Amazon squad. I've read Amazons are tough at lower TV so I was eager to see them in action.

Pre-game

No inducements. He elects to receive and I set up in a basic defensive formation, Vamps holding the weak spots. He sets up along the line, looking to me like he wants to advance quickly. Quick Snap and he moves even further up.

Turn 1

He pushes my line back and follows up, then moves everyone else up to mark and make a move along the upper sideline. He's playing very aggressively, giving me lots of opportunities to block. I take my 2d blocks and push him back. I blitz a Thrall to put pressure on the ball and set up a screen in front of his likely receivers.

Turn 2

He clears a hole along the top sideline and passes it as expected. The ball is forward but he doesn't have much support there. I move a Thrall up to support and Blitz the ball free with a Vamp. I then move a Thrall and my other Vamp closer to the ball, but lose the Thrall to Bloodlust.

Turn 3

He marks my guys and moves others up to support, but he can't really get close to the ball. I clear some space and get the ball with a Vamp. My Thralls make some 1d pushes and move into supporting positions.

Turn 4

He has numbers and manages to get both my Vamps stunned and knock the ball loose, but he cant secure it. I get my Vamps up and clear a little space, and maneuver my Thralls into better marking positions.

Turn 5

He makes some risky Dodges to get to the ball, but fails the pickup and it flies across the pitch, away from the action and towards my Thralls. I get a Thrall free, but fail the pickup.

Turn 6

He makes some Blocks away from the ball and manages to KO a Vamp. But he fails a dodge before securing the ball. I move to secure the ball, but fails my pickup again.

Turn 7

He has ample players to try and Blitz away the Thrall marking the ball, but decides to just try and pick it up. He fails and it bounces right into my hands. At this point I'm more concerned with preventing him scoring than trying to punch it in, so I block some of his receivers. I then manage to dodge the ball free and Blitz his closest guy down, moving the blitzer into a support position.

Turn 8

He fails a GFI moving to mark the ball and its my turn. I don't take any chances and run it in for a halftime lead.

Halftime

My 2 KO stay down and he has 1 Badly Hurt so it's 10v10 for the 2nd half. He deploys a wide LOS with a 2nd line. I deploy to get 2d blocks and have my Vamps back to get the ball. A Blizzard rolls through, which helps me and he seems more likely to need a long pass.

Turn 1

I get pushes with my blocks and set up a nice cage with a Vamp holding the ball. He converges on the ball and kills a Thrall in the process (No one likes Starscream anyway).

Turn 2

I Block a hole open to move the ball up with only a Thrall in close support. A chain push gets my 2nd Vamp into better spot and a lucky 1d block gets a good mark on his closest player. He gets some pressure on the ball but can only get a push with a 1d Blitz. He then moves everyone available to mark the ball.

Turn 3

I make a very risky Blitz/Dodge/GFI with the ball to get it free, without a Thrall in support no less. He chooses to make a 1d Blitz and mark some guys rather than try for a 2d Blitz. Luckily it's just a Push.

Turn 4

I make some 2d Blocks to thin his team in case I don't score, then manage to avoid the Bloodlust and make a Dodge to go up 2-0. He has a man advantage 9-8 which turns to 9-7 when a rock takes out a Thrall. I still feel pretty confident I can prevent him from scoring twice though. A blitz makes it 9-6 on players and he pushes my line back and marks everyone. He has two players free along the top and the ball in the hands of his passer.

Turn 5

I Blitz a Vamp free to mark his deepest player and take the 1d blocks that I can, with decent success. He gets the ball forward, but chooses to take a slower, safer path, which I'm fine with.

Turn 6

I try to Dodge a Thrall free to pressure the ball, but fail a RR and turn it over. He pushes and marks my deep vamp and moves the ball up into scoring position.

Turn 7

A passed Bloodlust, 2 Dodges and a Blitz get the ball free and in the hands of a Vamp. He swarms the Vamp and knocks the ball loose, but he can't score so the game is won.

Turn 8

My Vamp dodges free, grabs the ball and moves up for a miracle pass, when I remember it's a Blizzard, so I can't. I try to just dump it to a Thrall for SPP, but he drops it. He clears around the ball and attempts a Handover/Pass combo for a score, but drops the Handover.

Game over 2-0 to the Vamps. Chocula gets 5 SPP from a Cas and a score, bringing him closer to Blodge. Evil-Lyn gets 5 SPP too, and the MVP goes to Rocksteady.

Surprised and happy to be 2/0/0 after 2 games.

Last edited by Angmarred on Mar 16, 2015 - 17:41; edited 1 time in total
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2015 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if you're going to go for lots of vamps and lots of RRs, it's cheaper to start with the RRs and buy the vamps as you go, no? =)

And then once you have 6x pro, you can drop to 4 RRs.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2015 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Angmarred wrote:

Muttley- Thrall - Too bad Dick Dastardly isn't a Vampire

Hmmm, Dick Dastardly looks like a vampire, sounds like a vampire and is generally all round creepy.

I suspect if it was discovered that he really is a Vampire, no-one would be surprised. Maybe it's time you outed him!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2015 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, just a few suggestions after reading the first post & player names.

Angmarred wrote:
Bebop, Rocksteady- Thralls - It's going to be sad when one dies.

If you want to keep w/ these twos characters then don't be sad when they die, RAISE THEM INTO UNDEATH as Vampires to mock them mutating from the oooze in the comics!

Angmarred wrote:
Salacious Crumb - Thrall - Creepiest henchman ever.

Wait, REALLY???

Angmarred wrote:
Beeker - Thrall - I always thought Dr. Bunsen was a little sinister, which makes Beeker an ace henchmen.

Ok, I can sorta get on board w/ this one, but you misspelled 'Beaker'. Wink

Anyhow best of luck.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2015 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. You're right. I always thought his name was Beeker (I know how to spell beaker Smile )
 Jump to: