12 coaches online • Server time: 06:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Hey,

So with the recent discussion in the Box forum I was thinking about all the different themed tournaments we could organize and play. But I am a complete novice in such regards and I would really appreciate some help in organizing my first tournament.

So with that said what are the elements of a good tourney?

Off the top of my head it seems like:

1. Participants
2. Scheduling
3. A good theme
4. Stakes that mean something, whether tangible or psyche.
5. Keeping a history of the tournament for posterity and reference

Participants:

This seems obvious. What are the best means of getting participants though?

I'm thinking of doing a blog post announcing it, doing a forum post, then doing selective invites to people who I think would enjoy participating because they have teams that are (in)famous in some regard. Finally, advertising directly to opponents who I play against.

How much lead time do you need to get participants before you start the tournament though? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? Is there a peril of people who signed up early not being able to participate later (like how often does that happen in your experience?) How do you handle no shows or drop outs?

Scheduling and Pace:

I've played in 2 BRAWLs and I found the at least-one-game per-week-until-it's-done-pace to be fine, especially because it's a weekly organized tourney. Is there a pace of games that you've found to work best for certain formats? Is it insane to organize a tourney here that runs over the course of a few days opposed to a few weeks?

Theme: I have themes for days people.

One off the top of my head:

ThanksNuffling: A Halfling only (or maybe Halfling/Gobbo to really be reminiscent of the first Thanksgiving) tournament for Box and Ranked Halfling teams, single elimination, either 3 or 4 rounds depending on turnout. Takes place 4 days over Thanksgiving weekend. Would be special awards for OTTDs called "Flying Turkey".

Prizes:

Given that I can't offer cash prizes or in game items/skills what have you found is a good tangible prize that I can offer? I'm not talented artistically (except when it comes to making electronic reminiscent of Italo Disco). Any ideas?

Record Keeping: Keeping track of records and such is of course something I'd love to do so that might be a reward in and of itself. With low game tournies, it's certainly easier to manually do it since I can replay all games. Is there any advice on this aspect?

So those are 5 points that I think are important but I don't know what I don't know - am I missing anything really important? Does someone have a rote method of organizing a tourney they'd like to share?

Is there a guide that has already been created to help ease into managing a tourney?

I am all ears and enthusiastically appreciate any help that I can get.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Er. You might need to define your terms more precisely. You can't really run a tournament for R or B teams. Or even S. Just L. You could do a metagroup thing, or try to sway the participation in a RRR, BBB, Smack, etc, but not just run your own tournament there.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Or, if you do want to start a new minor/whatever sort of tournament in B/R, you'd really have to discuss it with the admins. Probably PC first.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, makes perfect sense. Are metagroups able to run a tournament without any frills?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

You might also want to consider running a themed league.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
You might also want to consider running a themed league.

My only apprehension with that is that it seems to be a taller order than doing tournaments and I think it'd be easier to attract people to the events with teams that have some games already. I might be mistaken in that belief.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

or you could just join and help run an existing one!

JOIN OBBA-MLS (North American soccer!!!)

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2014 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

There is also the KPL. Great fluff, crazy rules.

League is where it is at.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2014 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Right, makes perfect sense. Are metagroups able to run a tournament without any frills?

No, metagroups (like ARR!, the Human League, or E.L.F.) apply their scoring rules to their member's regular games in R or B. Nobody can run tournaments with specific scheduled games in those 2 divisions unless they are official, like the various major and minors.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2014 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to run a successful tournament, the most important thing is to find good coaches, and to make sure everyone strictly adheres to the rules.

Tournaments normally break up either because half the coaches can;t be bothered to play their games (as they lost the first few) and drop out, or because the commissioner hasn't kept a handle on things (letting games run too far over deadline etc...)

Get a theme, some good coaches on board and sick to the rules set down at the very start, and it should all go well.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2014 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Create events that you would want to play in. Run them the way that you would want them to be run.

Tournaments are only successful as long as the staff have the time, energy and inclination to run them.

Once you start getting fed up it is pretty much over unless you can find someone to help or replace you.

Keep it small to start with. Don't compromise to try to get a lot of coaches. You are better off with a small number who really support the idea than a large number with half of them dropping out.

Last edited by koadah on %b %28, %2015 - %08:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
anosh

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2015 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice posts helps me alot thank you all