56 coaches online • Server time: 16:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:

Fumbbl may be graphically basic, but strategy games don't need to be beautifully rendered.

They don't, but bad graphics and no animations don't draw many players for sure.
One of the first things I ever hear when I try to bring new people to FUMBBL is "The graphics are bad".
We live in 2015, not 1980, while I personally don't care too much about graphics, many people do and the lack of decent graphics is one of the reasons FUMBBL will never have a lot of players.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 14:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:
The only reason I would buy it is if the AI was actually good, but I strongly suspect it will still be terrible. I rapidly became bored of the first incarnation, and found there was a lot of people who would concede at the drop of a hat which was irritating. The commentary was spectacularly irritating after a few games too.

Fumbbl may be graphically basic, but strategy games don't need to be beautifully rendered.

The marketplace is a horrible idea too.

My thoughts exactly. A good AI is the only part of my ideal blood bowl experience that fumbbl doesn't cater for. If it turns out to be decent I may give it a go
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 14:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

They don't, but bad graphics and no animations don't draw many players for sure.
One of the first things I ever hear when I try to bring new people to FUMBBL is "The graphics are bad".
We live in 2015, not 1980, while I personally don't care too much about graphics, many people do and the lack of decent graphics is one of the reasons FUMBBL will never have a lot of players.

I actually prefer fumbbl graphics. Blood Bowl is a board game, and a computerised rendition of a board game doesn't need to have graphics. It needs to be simple and clear what's going on. 3d graphics and battle animations add nothing to chess
sann0638

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

They do if you're 15, and that's where the next generation of players is coming from.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
They do if you're 15, and that's where the next generation of players is coming from.

Are you getting many? Or is it mainly kids (or pupils) of grey beard veterans?

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Like many here, I prefer the clean, abstract fumbbl client, but I confess that it did put me off at first, and only my search for more experienced competition convinced me to play fumbbl.

I came from Cyanide, and I suspect others here did as well. We'll see what happens with BB2, it may spark more interest in Bloodbowl and get us some fresh blood, if BB2 is a similar well-selling failure as it was the last time.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
sann0638 wrote:

Are you getting many? Or is it mainly kids (or pupils) of grey beard veterans?

Difficult to say. No, not many in fairness. Maybe not 15-year olds, but players of other games maybe?

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd rather have a NHL/FIFA/NFL style BB-game than a manager game...

Because face it: You can play TT or you can play fumbbl or you can play Cyanide BB - all valid options and don't really need anything than fixing (TT - houserules, Fumbbl - all cards and houserules, cyanide - network code and lot's of bugfixes and all crp-races)

On the other hand if you'd make a 1-player-focus BB-game it would be awesome. Who wouldn't want to be Moranion beating the smelly dork-ogre Morg? Doing it yourself. Being awesome elf and getting laid with lots of elf girls. Yeah!

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I plan on waiting to see if they release the tools that allow players to script their own ais. If they do, I might get it so I can make a good ai.
Munga

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite was the opponent disconnecting and then it somehow counting as a forfeit for ME. Wonderful stuff. I'll wait till it goes on sale after a year or two and see. I jumped on that train the first time around and got burnt pretty badly. They had better be proactive with the patching this time around if they want some money out of me.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:
I'd rather have a NHL/FIFA/NFL style BB-game than a manager game...

Because face it: You can play TT or you can play fumbbl or you can play Cyanide BB - all valid options and don't really need anything than fixing (TT - houserules, Fumbbl - all cards and houserules, cyanide - network code and lot's of bugfixes and all crp-races)

On the other hand if you'd make a 1-player-focus BB-game it would be awesome. Who wouldn't want to be Moranion beating the smelly dork-ogre Morg? Doing it yourself. Being awesome elf and getting laid with lots of elf shemales. Yeah!

fixed this for you

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

All the usual arguments to be inserted on all of the usual topics, I'm sure. What I doubt we'll get in this well trodden debate is much novelty! As the release nears / happens, let's try and keep all of the Cyanide stuff to one thread? It may as well be this one.

BB does fine for new coaches that come from numerous sources, in spite of all of the normal detached Interweb doom, gloom and tiresome GW bashing. Quite apart from the day to day ticking along, the TT World Cup does not become as ridiculously sized as it is just by the game retaining grizzled veterans, although it's no bad thing that happens as well. When Cyanide started, you'd rarely meet someone that transitioned to TT via Cyanide, or certainly not at the rate FUMBBL coaches do (relatively), but in the last 18 months to two years I have noticed an upswing. It still doesn't make up the majority of the new faces I talk to, but it's some. We had an influx here, too. We also had some take off, as is the way of things.

The 15 year old thing is a bit off base, I think. Blood Bowl seems to appeal to quite a tight demographic. You're probably male, likely born towards the spring / summer and late twenties to mid forties. We all thought that nerd things, such as fantasy football played by Orcs, were cool when we were kids, then we hid it for ten years or so in embarrassment / when we met girls, then we cared less what people thought when we got through that difficult period. If Cyanide is appealing to teenagers (and I doubt it is, they're likely off shooting aliens, not moving bits around a grid), we won't see them here or on TT for more or less ten years. Whilst, belatedly, Cyanide has brought coaches to the wider game, it is people of the same age group, and we tend to be a bit less easy to win over by shiny flashing graphics and presentation and a bit more switched on by substance.

All in all, the shiny things will, of course, suck in some coaches, but it doesn't feel logical to me that 'some' is a high percentage of the target market. Cyanide has many more (non substance based, more financial, I hasten to add) advantages over FUMBBL outside of whizz bang Elven handstands that suck people in, and hooray for people playing Blood Bowl. Without that clout, perhaps we would never have got to all of those guys, it's OK that there are more of 'them' than there are of 'us'. I doubt that we need worry or get defensive; if people want to play there, good luck to them. Eventually they'll hear about FUMBBL, and probably learn that we've got it pretty good.

It's not for me, but it is a thing. And a thing I've no doubt I'll read plenty about over the next few months.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Anyone else going to give it a try?

Not even remotely interested.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I actually prefer fumbbl graphics (but I am biased). Blood Bowl is a board game, and a computerised rendition of a board game doesn't need to have graphics. It needs to be simple and clear what's going on. 3d graphics and battle animations add nothing to BB

Thanks for saving me some typing.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also throw this out there. I think the biggest "graphics" issue with FUMBBL is not that it is icon-based, but the lack of scalability for large, high-resolution monitors. If we had that, we would be a lot better off for drawing in more players. That is the primary complaint I have heard.