28 coaches online • Server time: 13:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The question is simple: when a bug that might change the game occurs, what are you supposed to do?

I have just played a game where that happened. I had Noobla induced, but he wasn't banned at the end of the second half. We went overtime, and I had to field him as I had only 11 players. Another coach PM'ed me I should have put him on my TD line and left him alone, but I read the PM afterwards, and quite frankly, doing so didn't cross my mind during the game (and my opponent was the silent type and didn't say anything). It didn't matter anyway as he POW-BH'ed him on the next turn, before he could do anything.

Now the question is... From the admins' point of view, what was I supposed to do? And what are you supposed to do when you potentially lose the game due to a bug as well? That one gave me an advantage, for sure (or at least could have), but I remember tourney games I lost because you couldn't TTM after 2 GFI with the old client for instance.

EDIT - Oops, wrong section. That was supposed to be in "Rules questions"

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a recent situation where a bug meant that I would have been able to carry on a turn when I clearly should not be able to (I can't remember the exact situation), so I declared turnover on myself. But that's just me. I don't know what one should do in a 'competitive' situation.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly if you recognize that you are getting an undue advantage you should self report to your opponent and determine what the acceptable outcome is together.

Sometimes you don't notice until after you've already gained the advantage though, and then the issue is more tricky.

Now, if your opponent takes advantage of some glitch and you call them on it, it can be more difficult if they are unwilling to rectify the problem. If you're playing R or B I'd just shrug it off and move on. Choose whether you will play that coach again (for R) choose whether you will report their actions to an admin (no naming and shaming on the forums though).

If you're in a tournament though, you probably do need to stop the match and seek the opinion/advice from the tournament organizers and or admins. This happens very rarely in L for me, and since Kryten is usually around we bug him about what our options are and accept his ruling other than in the cases where it's not such a technical issue and more a 'spirit of the league' issue in which case we have to let the commissioner decide, but that's almost always going to be after the fact anyway.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

there's supposedly a list somewhere depicting bugs vs. changes to the rules. I don't know of a rapid way to get to it other than asking in MIrc.

if it's considered a bug, you can't knowingly exploit the advantage. if it's listed as a "change from the rules", you're fine in taking advantage of the situation.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well in that case, I noticed Noobla was in my reserve when setting up, told my opponent, but he didn't respond. So I thought "Can I leave him on the bench? Nope. Fine, then, for once, it's gonna be to my advantage." Really, it may sound silly, but I was focussing on something else (tournament pressure), and didn't think about leaving him somewhere on the pitch and not using him. If my opponent had suggested to do so, I would probably have (and on a side-note: that's one more reason for being friendly IG: if my opponent hadn't been silent all game long, things would have probably been different).

Now, from an admins' point of view, what does it take to have a game cancelled due to a bug?

EDIT - Arktoris: is it an admin thing, or is it public?

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

what exactly was the glitch or error? you were unable to use the player? you werent supposed to use the player but had him anyways?

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Noobla should have been banned at the end of the second half, but wasn't.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

When I first joined I encountered a bug that let me win the game, think it was a bomber or something. I was playing on auto pilot, just picked up the ball and scored. My opponent reported me and ever since then I have been super careful. I'd rather end the game and submit a support ticket than risk a ban.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You should have left him in the end zone. You know SW weapon players get banned at the end of the drive they play in unless you have a bribe.

The fact that he was available to use should have raised a red flag for you. Easy enough to miss I suppose under the pressure of a tournament game but I would expect that it would be noticed by the coaches playing the game.

From an admin point of view we would not get involved in this one and refer it to the tournament manager. In a 1 off pick up game if your opponent asked for a cancellation it would more than likely been granted.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Same thing happened to me also, first set nobbla up in front of the field on overtime but did the right thing and stash him further back and didn't use him at all, things like that use be more frequent during the skyjunkie client period with the reload issues and such.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the answer. Don't you think however that could be exploiting the bug exploiting (aka: don't say anything to your opponent IG if that happens, and report him afterwards if you lose - even though it didn't impact the game)? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

We would look at it on a case by case basis and I would expect your opponent to have said something to you in game before coming to the staff.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Now let's say that you got bribes left for the OT, but since the secret weapons are automatically in, you can't use any, how do you go from there ? Would you tell your oppo to go on irc to roll a dice for the ones that you want to keep on field ? Just assume that you keep X secret weapons accordingly to the bribes you got left ?

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

That's how I would play it, yes.

It's a known bug and one that will hopefully by fixed next time Kalimar pushes through an update.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 18:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Zed wrote:
Now let's say that you got bribes left for the OT, but since the secret weapons are automatically in, you can't use any, how do you go from there ? Would you tell your oppo to go on irc to roll a dice for the ones that you want to keep on field ? Just assume that you keep X secret weapons accordingly to the bribes you got left ?

Zed,

You've got it wrong - the client does ban the secret weapon on the way to OT, so a bribe can be used. You'll see it in the client log. The bug is that the client still allows the secret weapon that was just banned to be fielded in OT.

In the situation you're talking about, you would just look at the log and see if the bribe was successful or not.
 Jump to: