25 coaches online • Server time: 08:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
arw

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello guys, since I am ignorant of both Fedora and Java I can't get FFB to start.

In fact it is a pitiful thing that presents itself as an insurmountable obstacle: the program file needed to run ffblive.jnlp is nowhere to be found. At least I hope that's the problem...

Java should be properly installed. I ran the terminal to use yum: "yum install java". It did install Java as far as I can tell. Now I got a bunch of java stuff here & there and tried several if not all java related program files to open the ffblive.jnlp yet it did not work. No error message, no reaction. The "java" file in /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin seemed most promising. Now I am not sure whether or not I need to install something else. Usually the webstarter should be included but since I don't know Fedora & Java details I am not too sure about anything.

The terminal knows java and I tried to open the .jnlp "manually" in the terminal. Typing "java ffblive.jnlp" gave a reply: "Fehler: Hauptklasse jnlp konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden" (german... translates: "Error: main class jnlp could neither be found nor loaded").

I'd really appreciate any kind of help.
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It's Java Web Start, not Java. Check if you have a javaws binary in /usr/bin. If not, install Iceadtea or Oracle's javaws.

Also, you may wanna do a:

Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config javaws

to make sure you're using the right package.

I can't help much beyond this point, I'm not familiar with Fedora.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

That's already quite helpful - now I know what I need to check on!

PS: Problem solved!
Just installed javaws (or rather icedtea) and it worked right away. You helped me plenty Kam - thank you!
 Jump to: