55 coaches online • Server time: 23:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see the appeal of it... But it just looks so non-user friendly and all the fancy cut-scenes just seem like they'd make the game take forever... What I love about fumbbl is the speed at which you can play and save time, etc.

I started checking out bloodbowl on reddit... It's mostly Cyanide players but some TT and some fumbblers too. I've already recommended fumbbl to a bunch of them... Some of whom said they'd give it a try.

I miss the good-old-days of a few years ago when it seemed fumbbl was constantly busy... When you could get smack's by just idling in IRC, etc... So, I've kind of been thinking of ways to 'recruit' for fumbbl in my own way (reddit being one example).

I do find that it's a bit tricky to introduce new players to fumbbl because there is a steep learning curve here and often losing more than you win might turn people off. Ranked play for newbies can often lead to them reverse picking by accident and getting destroyed and black box can lead to some tough match-ups, etc.

The first step to populating fumbbl is getting more people interested in blood bowl and if cyanide does that... then that's a step in the right direction...

I would be tempted to try it out but I doubt it's worth the money or my time...
albinv

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As most of the times i seem to be an alien among aliens.

I do think the graphics compared to Fumbbl - just plain stink (sry)! Drives me away instantly. One glimpse and you know they dont make sense. They arent very beautiful either. And i have no need for artificial or fake beauty anyway.
Must be a an IT nerd issue clearly that some consider to buy it still though they are confident they wont like it! Just so you can look at some pixels.

On a sidenote that's not very logical Mr. IT guru! Laughing

Anyway...might give it a try still (and really, i never thought id say that).
I simply cant get matches in R aside with AV7 teams. I get something like 1-4 matches a month with my bash teams maybe?
So no realistic chance at all to get enough builders in order to play in Fumbbl's great tourneys. And then those teams that are left to apply rarely get a draw.
F.i. i applied my Rookie skaven for at least 5 weeks now without success, i actually think its closer to 2 months - but i wouldnt swear. Box issues are well known.
Leaves L - which is great for people that can schedule and dont play often. If you can schedule and dont want to play more than that, there is really nothing that isnt great about it or doesnt work.

Im not yet wise enough to play only 2-4 matches a week or something nor does society/economy (uhm...its the same anyway nowadays right?) think im worth a decent and reliable full time job.

So it seems im forced to make decisions.

I guess i will give cyanide a look. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by albinv on %b %27, %2015 - %11:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

albinv wrote:
I simply cant get matches in R aside with AV7 teams. I get something like 1-4 matches a month with my bash teams maybe?

you can play my C҉̸̢̀h̨́͘a̸̢̧͠n͢͢͜g̢̕҉ę̕͏̕ almost any day Smile
albinv

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...well... ^^

Yeah, that was funny enough probably.

In the rather unlikely case this wasnt meant as a joke and the team isnt going to take the stack - i would thank you wholeheartedly(!) and give you a holler indeed.

In case you felt offended (IT ect.)...well, then id feel sorry in your case. On the other hand i dont feel it was offensive at all to be true. Razz
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

If the AI is not horrible (or moddable to not be horrible) I'll buy.
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes: if you have money to spend..a donation to FUMBBL would be the best choice. I'll do it when I can.
I play cyanide only when I want to play in single player (most of the time). If FUMBBL had a single player option I'd totally stick with this site 100%.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in a cyanide league that can continue from disconnections & has all the teams and stars. That league is really good, MM is a nightmare. I think we are all a bit too critical of it just because fumbbl is so freaking amazing.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

There was this chess client back in the 90's called Battle Chess. It was essentially Chess with fancy (at the time) animations for movements and fights. It was kinda fun and I'm sure it helped some kids get interested towards chess. But it got old so quick. 5 games later the animations were already annoying more than anything.

Cyanide's client looks like a Battle Chess spin-off to me, putting the focus on the part of the game that is not important, while forfeiting gameplay.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I'm in a cyanide league that can continue from disconnections & has all the teams and stars. That league is really good, MM is a nightmare. I think we are all a bit too critical of it just because fumbbl is so freaking amazing.

That is cool. Is that built into the client now? Or do you need some helper software?

I suppose that is not going to help in MM where people will be disconnecting deliberately. Dode will have the numbers but I believe that there is still a huge number of disconnections and concessions. Even the Forum Open League had way more unfinished games than Fumbbl IIRC.

I do hear that they have very good leagues. But how many leagues are really going to switch over when there are only 8 races available?

If Cyanide's track record is anything to go by the first version will also be full of bugs.

I suspect that bugs did not get fixed on the current version because they were down to fundamental design issues. Maybe if they have learnt their lessons, this time the bugs will be more fixable.

8 races to start with was fair enough on the very first version but now they are splitting their MM user base. Many people will opt to stick with more races & fewer bugs. At least for a while.

The current version is usable if you have a decent opponent. e.g. in a league. But if you draw a griefer it is dreadful. And they used to have a lot of griefers.

Even when you can get the game and all the races for a fiver it would still be a worse deal for me than chaos edition. At least that had the silly real time mode to mess around with. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The good thing about Cyanide is that when you get stuck playing some bellend that is crying like a baby because you've stamped on a snotlings head and killed it, for no other reason than you felt like it, you don't have to put up with it, you can listen to some banter from Bob and Jim instead. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really understand the technical side but they play over lan and have some kind of software which handles the team management aspect.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I too play Cyanide. A league (OCC), mind you, not matchmaking. I understand matchmaking is quite horrible with disconnectors.

Then again I don`t really see the point in casual games her at Fumbbl either (no offense meant). You will meet someone that are likely building their team, and that doesn`t make for a good competitive match.

Also: Fancy graphics are not important, but I love the graphics in Cyanide`s game, so I guess graphics actually do matter. After all this is a miniature game where making something pretty will hit many in the player base. We have painting competitions, damn it, I don`t think that is too common in Chess...

So to sum up: Loving the game. Loving the computer game (yes, AI is horrible, and there are some bad bugs, but nothing gamebreaking). As for community league play is the way to enjoy the computer game, and for casual games I would never recommend matchmaking. Find a league! Or several!

I will for sure buy the new game as well. Perhaps the campaign will be fun! Heck, I even loved the old (1996?) PC-version!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to be clear: What I liked about the graphics in BB2 was that they looked a bit more practical and functional than in the first part... everything was a bit slimmer and functionality and graphics integrated nicely...

I can also see why this isn't easy to do for modern programming... just because you usually have those guys that program graphics and those guys that program interface and the outcome is always a bit clumsy...even often enough in the multimillion dollar games.. so, great effort and the more people get introduced to this wonderful game, the better... Honestly, if you love the game you'll end up on fumbbl eventually anyways Wink
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Honestly, if you love the game you'll end up on fumbbl eventually anyways Wink

Too bad that FUMBBL has not enough coaches.
I remember BB1 having about 1000 coaches online, you could find a MM game in 2-3 minutes.
juck101

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The community on Cyanide is different, and that alone is worth a look. Both clients have good and bad bits. I would encourage anyone to try it, and dont forget to play tabletop also if you can.
 Jump to: