53 coaches online • Server time: 19:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Tentacles, Pro or something else?
Tentacles
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Pro
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

Leilond

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge or Tackle
My two cents
Smeat

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
Jump ain't great with AG2. PO ain't great with Wild Animal

Both are true. Add the flat 1/6 fail, and a JU Block becomes a 55% prospect - even less attractive. So only reason to take JU is to allow him to Blitz further if he's down - Move and hit, or hit and then move. But without Break Tackle, that 2nd becomes iffy.

Plus, this is Ranked ( https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=802481 ) - if you make a St 5 ClawPOMB JU killer, you'll get less games, or less games that are against anything except equally unpleasant Chaos, C-Pact or Nurgle teams. Not everyone's idea of fun, but ymmv.

And a PO Mino is a Mino who gets fouled. A lot.

Dodge would both make it less attractive to try to knock him down AND keep him up more in the first place, as well as allow him to Break Tackle and hit a better target. Also, Frenzy can get a player into trouble - Dodge+BT would allow him to get back out of trouble, and/or survive that trouble better.

Pro would make him overall more reliable on all counts - RR'ing no-knockdowns, RR'ing Wild Animals, RR'ing any fail you care to name. And "uneliability" is pro'ly the biggest complaint against a Mino.

Tentacles, tho' not getting much love in this thread, is awesome - Beast of Nurgle who can St 6 Frenzy into/out of wherever he needs to go, and doesn't need a babysitter. If he has a target and fails the first time, that target has a harder time escaping the next love tap. Great v. those dodgey elfses.

So it comes down to your playstyle - ultimate bash, position, etc. GL.

(But it's time to start thinking of his core 5 skills, the skills he'll have until he hits 176 spp. Assume no more doubles, figure out what you want to live with.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

JU or Tents.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge and BT makes a mino a real cagebreaking threat, as well as being good defensively.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
PaddyMick wrote:
PainState wrote:
Always remember a mino's job is not to survive. His job is to have a 249 to 1 CAS ratio when he finally dies.

In my experience, minos are CAS'd a lot more than once in their career! Maybe I play them too recklessly, but my ratio is aboout 2 to 1. Dodge is solid choice for keeping him on the pitch, so he can improve that ratio.

You missed the point.

When a mino finally goes down for good, KILLED. If he has done his job right he ahould have recorded a stat line on CAS of a Average CAS rate of 1.5+. That is his only job.

Sorry I was being cheeky responding to your post as it was worded, I actually got what you were trying to say and I agree. But you missed my point, which is that with Dodge he stays on his feet and stays doing his job more, which is getting those CAS.

IMO, once a mino goes down, any half decent opposing coach will make sure he stays down.

I still agree with you in that I think PRO is ahead, if a little vanilla.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro makes him way more reliable and can be used to RR missed GFI, dodges, wild animals, block dice, anything really... So, the most flexible.

Dodge (then break tackle) makes him reliable for hitting anyone and stay alive longer.

I would either go Pro or Dodge... Tentacles are great, but dodge on high strength is annoying to take them down plus reliably dodging can be a big asset.

To me, Mino's are awesome/fun but unreliable... Dodge and Pro both make them more reliable just in different ways. The flexibility of Pro probably makes him a more well-rounded player, but you'll have to live with not being able to RR things 50% of the time!
madvig

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge. That will keep him alive untill NeXT skill roll.
Merrick18818

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say Dodge, with Break Tackle following.
PainState

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing when I step back is this.

This is not a Chaos roster mino, this is a Pact Mino, which actually changes it up totally.

You can make a horde of CPOMB killers if you want with marauders. The Mino on the other hand is a high ST road block on the team with some hitting power. No access to mutation on normal, which is whack, but oh well.

Maybe in the end Blodge him up, slap Stand Firm on him and just plop him into the middle of the foes drives. If you roll the 4th double then tentacles or DT on him.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

TheThinkTank wrote:
I'd say Dodge, with Break Tackle following.

No way, Jose, if he blodges up you take StandFirm as the next skill on a normal.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2015 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I went with Dodge in the end. Although Sidestep would be brilliant for preventing crowdsurfs and help setup the next block, I figure Dodge would help with overall survival. Plus if he makes it to another skill then I can go with Stand Firm, or if I'm lucky, Sidestep.

Smeat wrote:
Plus, this is Ranked ( https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=802481 ) - if you make a St 5 ClawPOMB JU killer, you'll get less games, or less games that are against anything except equally unpleasant Chaos, C-Pact or Nurgle teams. Not everyone's idea of fun, but ymmv.

Well, I wanted to experiment with Pact but I guess ultimately I'd like to make a non-CPoMb team, using mutations to make interesting characters rather than out and out bashy.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice!
licker

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

People are really worried that a Mino is going to die without dodge?

Weird, lots of weird answers here today.

Tents is the obvious choice.

Tackle is a possibility if you are in a league where there is a lot of dodge.
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I figured if a Mino is going to die, it's going to be from the foul, not from being blocked too much.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

definitely dodge on the mino and BT next, also take ag4 on the skaven. Ag4 wins games.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure I would have taken tentacles.

But then again, I'm an elf coach so I may have a higher opinion of tentacles than most.
 Jump to: