49 coaches online • Server time: 15:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should we do with Yanxo?
Let him play until he dies or is too injured to play
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
Wait until 76 SPP, if no doubles then retire
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Retire immediately! Only keep Minos with doubles!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

seanh1986

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Image Corner of Chaos

My Corner of Chaos team has started to develop fairly well but I've hit a crossroads and decided to seek other people's opinion! Yes, I know the general consensus is to not use a Minotaur on Chaos... But... Minotaurs are fun! ... And part of the team's theme... So, I want to have one whenever possible.

At low TV, Yanxo was my dedicated blitzer and he's been awesome (twice recording 4 casualties in a game in his 22 game career).

Only problem is that he has yet to roll doubles at 60 SPP. He's still useful because of his claw, guard, tentacles, and juggernaut lets him blitz "reliably".

I find the Mino particularly useful vs. high strength (e.g., removing mummies from the pitch) and for when you really want that 3 BD frenzied hit on someone -- surfing is fun too! But in general, I'm safer just blitzing with one of my other Claw/MB players.

Because of that, the most efficient way that I see for using the Minotaur is to occupy tackle zones, keep guys from dodging away using tentacles while making "block actions" to allow my other players to blitz. However, to do this reliably, the Mino definitely needs block!!

At this point, I've got a few options.

1. Let Yanxo play until he dies or receives a serious injury worthy of retirement.

2. Let Yanxo play until 76 SPP (only 16 SPP away!), if doubles take block... Otherwise, retire.

Note: if me were to make it to legend after this, normal roll would be stand firm, doubles would be pro, I think.

3. Fire Yanxo right away, get a new Mino, repeat every time a new Mino doesn't get doubles by 16 SPP.

I'm thinking option #2 makes the most sense... If he picks up Block then he's very well-suited for that role... He can occupy TZs, keep people from dodging away, while still hitting them with Blocks reliably.

That being said, probably the ideal Mino would have:

Block, Tentacles, Dodge(?), Pro(?), Claw/Guard/Stand Firm

That would make him well-suited to occupy TZs, assist others, prevent people from running away, and still giving him the fire-power to beat people up with his blocks. So, if I'm ideally hoping for 2 (or 3) doubles, maybe option #3 makes sense too.

Anyways, discuss people! I have voted for option #2 and look forward to your opinions!
seanh1986

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 06:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Another consideration I meant to mention is that due to the team's TV spiralling expenses will start to kick in, whereas firing the Mino now would delay that from happening... I am looking to also hire more beastmen so that I have a bench...

If I decide to keep Yanxo, I'd hire 2 more beastmen for a total of 13 players (60k left over)... If I decide to fire him, I'll replace with 1 Mino and 1 beastman for a total of 12 players (30k left over)
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I realize that Mutations on a Chaos Minotaur are normal rolls.
But on many similar player those ARE DOUBLES.
From a certain perspective you already have 2 Doubles on him.
Plus... even if he rolls another normal Stand Firm is a great skill to have on this player.
Stand Firm has good synergy with ST5, Frenzy, Tentacles, Claw, Mighty Blow and Wild Animal.
Stand Firm/Tentacles will keep targets around for him to hit... therefore minimizing the negatrait Wild Animal.
It will also allow him to nit be pushed away so he can maximize hits with Claw and Mighty Blow.
It keeps him from getting Counter Surfed and when opponents find ways to avoid him Juggernaut lets you Blitz him back into the action.
Plus... you haven't even got Piling On yet which will only make him more deadly.
Plus... Break Tackle is also very useful on this player.
Sure it would be GREAT to get a Double... but he is already an awesome piece that is going to get even better even with a Normal.
tmoila

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep until injured beyond repair, no matter what skill roll at 76. And beyond repair is ANY other injury than -ag in current state. If doubles at 76, -ma can be accepted too (only 1 -ma)

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
I realize that Mutations on a Chaos Minotaur are normal rolls.
But on many similar player those ARE DOUBLES.
From a certain perspective you already have 2 Doubles on him.
Plus... even if he rolls another normal Stand Firm is a great skill to have on this player.
Stand Firm has good synergy with ST5, Frenzy, Tentacles, Claw, Mighty Blow and Wild Animal.
Stand Firm/Tentacles will keep targets around for him to hit... therefore minimizing the negatrait Wild Animal.
It will also allow him to nit be pushed away so he can maximize hits with Claw and Mighty Blow.
It keeps him from getting Counter Surfed and when opponents find ways to avoid him Juggernaut lets you Blitz him back into the action.
Plus... you haven't even got Piling On yet which will only make him more deadly.
Plus... Break Tackle is also very useful on this player.
Sure it would be GREAT to get a Double... but he is already an awesome piece that is going to get even better even with a Normal.

I understand that for sure, but his potential can be SO much more... Even just one doubles giving him Block makes him an infinitely better player. If I don't want to waste blitz actions with him (in general), that means I'm making Blocks. Blocks don't use horns so they are usually 2 block dice... Without block, that means he falls down 1 out of every 9 blocks he makes, which given that he has frenzy and often will make 2 block hits (maybe 50% of his blocks will result in a push), that means he'll likely end up on his butt and ending my turn ~2-3 times a game or so... And we all know this will happen at the worst possible times and Loner RR will fail Very Happy.

When I'm blitzing, I can often get 3 dice (horns) and use Juggernaut so it's usually very safe.

With block, suddenly 1 in 9 goes to 1 in 36, and he becomes a very reliable blocker in place. 100% Stand Firm is very helpful on him.

How would you design the ideal Mino in terms of skills? I know Piling on / Break Tackle could be very useful too... But I can already get Piling On for other players that can blitz more reliably... And once he's down, he needs to "blitz" to get back up, which could be a liability, as well.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: May 06, 2015 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

After some thought, here are my "ideal" Minotaurs.

Ideal Killer:
Must have: Block, Claw, Piling On, Tackle,
Would be nice: Pro, Break Tackle/Dodge, Juggernaut, ...

Ideal Road Block:
Must have: Block, Stand Firm, Tentacles, Guard
Would be nice: Dodge, Pro, Break Tackle, ...
 Jump to: