38 coaches online • Server time: 13:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that [A] is coming back.

The [L]eague division is definitely NOT only for league games. It would be good to get 'open' [L]eague going again so that there would be an alternative to the [R]anked snake pit. (No, I'm not counting the Box snake pit. Twisted Evil)

You are also welcome to join the 145 Rookie League with a 'weak' team and coach people up where they need it.

I think that [A] was killed off due to the very small number of games being played there. Though, just one or two games could have been a help to get a coach going.
But that was using the old gamefinder. I can't see how it would work with the new gamefinder as you can't see who was waiting unless you sit with teams in game finder yourself.

[A] teams would have had to transfer to [L]eague not [R]anked due to "uncompetitve" games.

Even in [A] you got the odd knobhead who came in to trash a Rookie's teams.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It is indeed very unlikely [A] is coming back due to reasons koadah mentioned.

If you need admin support koadah, feel free to contact me.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did Academy stop functioning? It's where I first started playing way back when.

I think it was just a victim of the rules switch and the new client. The poor amount of games may have been a reason why C didn't put it up again. There were some plans to improve the division that are probably tied to the major overhaul C is doing with league. People often claimed Academy should rather offer single games with custom or pre-designed balanced semi-developed teams.
So I wouldn't be surprised if it sees the light of the day some time later again.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

So, how do people arrange their training games?

IRC seems pretty much out off vogue.

What do people think of a group PM?

(Thanks Woodstock)

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 16:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
So, how do people arrange their training games?

IRC seems pretty much out off vogue.

What do people think of a group PM?

(Thanks Woodstock)

I think the best method would be, somewhere on the 145 main page (or wherever you're thinking of running this from) have some instructions and a link to this page and new people can PM anyone who's online.

Alternatively what we did during BB7s testing was have each coach list their playing times. You can have buttons that automatically generate and populate a PM next to each coaches name that a user can then press and send.

What you think?
Roland

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Gamefinder?
koadah

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
Gamefinder?

If it works that is nice. But there are only a small number of Faculty. Your chances of hitting gamefinder when one of them is on could be pretty slim.

Personally, I'm almost never on it. My games are by appointment. Wink

Things may be better when we have chat built into the site. But in the mean time...

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sign me in?

I have a 145 Goblin team always ready. (btw, did you put my team in the 145 tournament?)

akaRenton

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about most every night from 1830GMT until I get snoozy, so I'm happy to pile in with a bunch of matches.

Primary Races: Undead, Halfling

Other: Novelty teams, team fluff

I was part of a friendly league group with an open format that worked really well, a group PM was pretty good for getting matches for us even with a relatively small number of coaches.

A link from 145 Club page, and a link to 145 Club from the Faculty page would work well. As I mentioned elsewhere a change to the welcome PM with a whole bunch of useful links for new coaches could include links to Faculty and 145. I can't imagine it would be too tough to set up a welcome PM, just working out the content would be the only issue but not exactly a toughie.

I'd possibly avoid an actual league format where points for win/draw/loss are awarded to avoid a competitive edge sneaking in from the Faculty members. The main focus has to be helping the new people, not battering them.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
akaRenton

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Team ready with appropriate image Very Happy

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2016 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Created a faculty team here and applied for the group. All info on caoching is in the team bio (feel free to copy if there is a list of instructors somewhere), let me know if any more info or anything else is needed.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2016 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I am willing to play through games with new comers as long as they realise that whilst I may have played 3k+ games I have no tactical nous whatsoever but can highlight some of the games features and the client goodies.

What the [F]! are my Nurgle team with an explanation of their naming in the bio...

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2016 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be glad to help with this project and share my experience molding new players!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2016 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I see this thread started back in May. How has this been working in regards to playing matches etc.? What I mean is, is there now a set system in place you guys have been using. I'd be willing to help during U.S. Central evening hours. I'll wait for further info. PM me if needed please.

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2016 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we have received 2 pre-made messages from new coaches who read the Faculty group & clicked the link to send a message to all the faculty asking for a training game or advice.
 Jump to: