22 coaches online • Server time: 09:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
Also, it might help with the challenge if you played outside your comfort zone. Over 1000 games in Box and yet over 75% of your games are with cpomb teams. Of course you'll find monotony after painting yourself into a corner.

Please don't think I don't know how to play elves in box. If you look at my elven teams you will see I do. I just got fed up with seeing them obliterated by clawpombers. As I play to enter majors, having a trashed team that is 20/4/5 is no consolation.

Im not under any such delusion, it just seems like you know you're nigh unbeatable when you make and pass a specific type of roll (armor) based on your vast experience with the game because you know your positioning. I think it's partly a matter that you've played so many similar teams and there's no zetisness there.
Malmir

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's equally easy to do the same in ranked and pick which is why cr is only a guide.
Kam

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was simply posting that because I'm drunk and tired and wanted to share my random thoughts. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I was simply posting that because I'm drunk and tired and wanted to share my random thoughts. Very Happy

Why do you think I made this post? Wink
PainState

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Kam wrote:

Why do you think I made this post? Wink
Because you are so drunk you have become sober my friend, here is another shot of flaming Nazi...Drink up and then pass out.

Surprised Shocked Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like good advice - night all (I stand by all my previous points) Smile
Strider84

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The answer is ARR!!!

http://www.cmanu.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bb/arr/#/sprint/155/-1

only thing you can do is play different races, and others will follow...
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
...I'm just wondering if others find a lot of box games lack skill and become more about whose clawpomb skillset with a carrier is more efficient/gets better dice...

I wouldn't know. I play with the Nerfs. Mr. Green

Open [L]eague Cup

Put all your best customers on it!

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

TV is more of a problem than CPOMB. If coaches were not trying to minimize the size of their rosters due to TV saving, then you probably would have had more players for the second half, and more of a chance of affecting the outcome.

However on the other hand, a CPOMB roster with a larger bench, may have a player base to try something else if POMB didn't work or to working unison with pombing.

One of the great things about high TV stunty. A fair amount of time the slate is wiped clean for the next drive.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually curious about the statement about there being more tactics on display...is this because of variety of teams, team builds, coach approach.

I don't profess to understand tactics really or know how to articulate different tactics within the game to any satisfaction so if you could lead here...
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
TV is more of a problem than CPOMB.

Nope. CPOMB is still CPOMB.

It's fair enough if you like that kind of thing.

It means quicker and easier games. Plenty fun when you are already quite drunk. Wink

It's pretty much decided. Lower TV Box plenty of diversity. Higher TV Box ultra bash.

Play it or don't.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, and a lot of us don't, which is sort of too bad. Box will always be a more honest assessment of coach ability, both at tactical play and metagaming.

This whole piling on debate is very familiar... you see it everywhere in computer gaming whenever a dominant strategy takes hold. There's the same vocal minority using the same flawed arguments (see, elves can win in box / It's called BLOOD bowl for a reason) to defend an obvious imbalance. When games are actively supported by competent dev teams, good games iron out these flaws and the opposition quickly dies away. Unfortunately, the Blood Bowl ruleset is abandonware, and we are grognards playing a game nobody cares about anymore.

In my opinion, failing to even attempt to balance the races was pretty lazy on GW's account. Racial balance and player TV cost are directly related. Gutter Runners, the whole Orc roster and Chaos Dwarf blockers are very obviously undercosted. Big Guys, Human blitzers and Slaan Blitzers are very obviously overcosted. The obvious limitations of using a D6 system could for the most part be overcome by pricing players accurately, yet the creators of CRP elected not to do so.

It's true that these imbalances are less important in league, both online and on tabletop. The fact that these imbalances are less important in those formats does not mean they do not exist, and when you add bad rules like piling on to the mix, then force random TV matchmaking... well you get box, killstack spam, and lots of forum debate.

Saying the races were never meant to be balanced is a poor excuse. Proper game design demands balance, and Blood Bowl's history as a hastily thrown-together ruleset to give painting nerds an excuse to show off their miniatures is what haunts it to this day.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll never have one ruleset that works well for all the different ways that people play the game.

You alter the rules to suit your league.

What other people like or don't like doesn't matter if they don't play in your league.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You'll never have one ruleset that works well for all the different ways that people play the game.

Why? I've never heard anyone complain about a game being too well balanced.

koadah wrote:
What other people like or don't like doesn't matter if they don't play in your league.

This is the "let the modders sort it out" argument from god knows how many game balance threads all over the internet. It's a bad argument there, and it's a bad argument here.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
koadah wrote:

Why? I've never heard anyone complain about a game being too well balanced.

koadah wrote:

This is the "let the modders sort it out" argument from god knows how many game balance threads all over the internet. It's a bad argument there, and it's a bad argument here.

Well, we'd all be pissing up a rope thinking there is going to be any satisfactory resolution. I used to think that rule changes by community would be great but then I realized my pet ideas are brilliant, truly inspired yet sublime and everyone else's are terrible crap and ghastly. Or rather, I'd prefer something clearly imperfect and arbitrary and immutable to something that I had a stake in directing and wound up being something crappy.

So I prefer to just try and get good at the game as is and put up with it.
 Jump to: