47 coaches online • Server time: 16:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

How dare we have BLOOD in BLOODBowl!?????
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Bill,

Any time something overpowered is nerfed in a competitive online game, there is vocal opposition to it. Here on FUMBBL, you are the personification of this. There's certainly nothing wrong with what you do, but let's face it... you are the site's most prolific clawpomb spammer.

Now, nobody wants to see their favorite tactic nerfed. You probably don't take sadistic joy in mangling other people's creations, you simply like playing bash teams... and a certain level of clawpomb spam is needed to keep chaos effective. God knows I've toyed with enough pre-killstack Chaos teams to know. And, to be fair... I do a very similar thing to yourself in ranked... I play Elf teams, and without the ability to avoid players who incorporate heavy anti-elf components into their team, I probably wouldn't win as many games as I do.

The difference is, I understand that elves are overpowered in an environment without tackle. I know that wardancers, especially ones with stat increases and mighty blow are outrageously overpowered, and barring tentacles, the only way to effectively neutralize them is... well... to kill them. And, yes... I play elves because they seem to give me the best chance of winning... save for playing skaven, who offer a little elf and a little clawpomb in a neat little package.

So how is this relevant to box? Well in box, your dominant playstyle has a much easier time than my dominant playstyle. Chaos Warriors shrug off permanent damage like -AG and -MA that really hurt elves. Bash players die less frequently, and are cheaper to replace. Full faceroll Chaos doesn't really care what race they face, as destroying an entire team is universally good.

In a perfect world, both elves and bash would be nerfed. The tweener teams would benefit, and I think bloodbowl would be a better game with more options. That's my opinion, and I'm sure you disagree.
Calcium

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Bill,

Any time something overpowered is nerfed in a competitive online game, there is vocal opposition to it. Here on FUMBBL, you are the personification of this. There's certainly nothing wrong with what you do, but let's face it... you are the site's most prolific clawpomb spammer.

Now, nobody wants to see their favorite tactic nerfed. You probably don't take sadistic joy in mangling other people's creations, you simply like playing bash teams... and a certain level of clawpomb spam is needed to keep chaos effective. God knows I've toyed with enough pre-killstack Chaos teams to know. And, to be fair... I do a very similar thing to yourself in ranked... I play Elf teams, and without the ability to avoid players who incorporate heavy anti-elf components into their team, I probably wouldn't win as many games as I do.

The difference is, I understand that elves are overpowered in an environment without tackle. I know that wardancers, especially ones with stat increases and mighty blow are outrageously overpowered, and barring tentacles, the only way to effectively neutralize them is... well... to kill them. And, yes... I play elves because they seem to give me the best chance of winning... save for playing skaven, who offer a little elf and a little clawpomb in a neat little package.

So how is this relevant to box? Well in box, your dominant playstyle has a much easier time than my dominant playstyle. Chaos Warriors shrug off permanent damage like -AG and -MA that really hurt elves. Bash players die less frequently, and are cheaper to replace. Full faceroll Chaos doesn't really care what race they face, as destroying an entire team is universally good.

In a perfect world, both elves and bash would be nerfed. The tweener teams would benefit, and I think bloodbowl would be a better game with more options. That's my opinion, and I'm sure you disagree.

I've translated the above wall of text and condensed it....

'I'm a hypocrite that can't handle how others enjoy playing BB if it treads on my sensitive toes so I will bang on about changing the rules to suit my own ends.'

Maybe the likes of me/Bill/Jimmy should start crying about how OP mass blodge is other than the odd comedy comment - then this forum would be 'balanced' and that would surely keep a lot of coaches happy right? Wink

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Who else is in the little band apart from you, Bill & Jimmy?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Name & Shame!

I do play elves, stunties, and tweeners in the box to be fair.

No one acknowledges that for fear of my Chaos Wink
Calcium

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Anyone that accepts we can all play this game in whatever way the rules allow Koadah, because all this boils down to a large number of coaches whining about the blood in blood bowl, which I have always found and will continue to find incredible.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I hate to "break your immersion" here, but blood bowl players aren't real, and don't actually bleed.

Casualties and attrition are a game mechanic, and Blood Bowl has many of the same characteristics as rogue-likes or other perm-death games. Games with permanent consequences appeal to some players, since their actions feel more important. For example, I was recently faced with what Sid Meyer refers to as "an interesting choice".

In the first round of the GLT, I had stolen the ball with an +AG +MA gutter runner who did not have block. I could move the player to a safe location, but lessen my chances of winning the game. I could move the player into a more dangerous location, and if I was lucky and my opponent was not able to knock over the gutter runner, I would likely win the game. This decision took me several minutes, and in the end, I elected to try and win the game, putting the gutter runner in great jeopardy.

The gutter runner was knocked over by a bothdown, killing the player instantly. My choice to move the piece into a dangerous position, combined with my previous choice to give him leap instead of block both played into the death of the player. The event was significant. I lost the game, and the player is dead, and days later I remember it. I cannot reload a past save game and do things differently after knowing the outcome.

These types of choices are what makes Blood Bowl interesting. The permanence of player injuries are part of the appeal for me. I have no desire to remove the blood from Blood Bowl, it is part of what makes the game fun despite its flaws.

Last edited by Rat_Salat on %b %25, %2015 - %00:%May; edited 2 times in total
nufflehatesme

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

The difference is, I understand that elves are overpowered in an environment without tackle. I know that wardancers, especially ones with stat increases and mighty blow are outrageously overpowered, and barring tentacles, the only way to effectively neutralize them is... well... to kill them. And, yes... I play elves because they seem to give me the best chance of winning...

the riddle is solved! people clpomb to deal with the op'ness of elves.

nerf blodge 2015!

(seriously, you hit the nail on the head. i pomb like a madman against elves as the only way to beat a competent elf coach is to kill all elves)
licker

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Why is this still a thing?

Box is stupid and lame.

Ranked is lame and stupid.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
koadah wrote:

Anyone that accepts we can all play this game in whatever way the rules allow Koadah, because all this boils down to a large number of coaches whining about the blood in blood bowl, which I have always found and will continue to find incredible.

You find it incredible?

There is the thing Calcium. I can understand playing for blood. I have a CPOMB team myself. I enjoy it.

It can be a lot of fun for sure. But for me the game and the Box especially would be much better with the nerfs applied.

We still have blood in the O[L]C. Don't we Bill?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Dice are a much bigger issue than ckawpomb to be fair.

So yes, koadah.
Kam

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I truly believe alcoholic beverages are a much bigger issue when it comes to my win / loss ratio. Where does it stand in the equation?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
Dice are a much bigger issue than ckawpomb to be fair.

So yes, koadah.

Though the CPOMB affect the dice.

I don't think Calcium has too much to worry about though.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

That looks like a fun match.

I think whiskey was driving, I don't even remember that.
coombz

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

You talk about Dota 2, well, you are comparing a computer game with millions of players and millions of dollars behind, an e-sport, to a boardgame created for fun and giggles (and to sell miniatures, of course) played by a small community

dota started out as a fan made map/mod for Warcraft 3 played by a small community...and it grew to the millions of players and millions of dollars esport that it is now, because exactly of what Rat was talking about...

constant attention to gameplay and balance issues from the creators, and frequent patches to tweak things

obviously there isn't a direct comparison to FUMBBL, but you definitely seemed to miss Rat's point there

That's Trailer Park Life.
 Jump to: