66 coaches online • Server time: 23:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which grammar style would you prefer?
Previous style - He/His/It/Its/etc.
52%
 52%  [ 23 ]
Modified style - The Singular They
47%
 47%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 44

Stonetroll

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I like some of the ideas, like the kick off table tweaks, claw, fouling stuff, and making amazons not totally bullshit. However, in my opinion these alone would be enough. Some of the roster changes, especially orcs and humans are something that I just plain dislike, especially giving humans both +STR and +AGI boosts for cheap.

Still 4/5 would implement. Sadly the rulebook has been dictated by Nuffle from Heaven and set into stone tablets, so any kind of balance changes have exactly 0% chance of happening.
Fingard

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mb is the main bashing skill in BB.
Khemri are by far the best team in your format, on mid-long term. PO and 2 MB is really worse than clawpomb O_O even if TGs don't have access to block and frenzy.
Also, you buffed fouling a lot.
Re-writing the rules would require testing from an adequately large and competitive playerbase.
Nice try anyway ^^
azyx

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

is this official
sann0638

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The fumbbl block dice pics made me smile.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

One loop hole you may want to close... on a double six, can I remove the 'secret weapon' negatrait from my deathroller?

I appreciate this is largely an academic exercise but well done for giving it some serious thought. Like everyone I won't agree with all the suggestions but I like many of them and think most are reasonable even if I don't agree.
Roland

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

azyx wrote:
is this official

+1, can we get our own client now?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Boy, this is hard to read. And why is it using a replaced 'their' when speaking in singular.

Just a random example: If a player carrying the ball is Knocked Down or Placed Prone, they will drop the ball in the square where they fell.

Is it that a BB player is some sort of royal eminence?
Or is it that English just needs no grammar? ..Must be a native speaker thing.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %29, %2015 - %12:%May; edited 1 time in total
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

CRP had "he" and "his" in those situations so I guess Whatball wanted to be politically correct.

Last edited by JimmyFantastic on %b %29, %2015 - %12:%May; edited 2 times in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

WBR wrote:
When a player takes any action (...), they may try to (...)

I'm not sure what you were trying to fix with all these "they" and "them", but this kind of mistake is all over the place.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
azyx wrote:
is this official

+1, can we get our own client now?

Sure. If you feel like coding it.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

On another note you remove fan-factor impacting on team-value and argue it is because fan-factor shouldn't cost money, it should add money.

Yet you also remove spiraling expenses which is the only mechanic that could make fan factor cost money.

So the argument is a bit schizophrenic/invalid/unaware of its own changes.

As for the value of a team being impacted by its popularity - this is just my opinion but since we already talk about it:
As a rather successful coach I feel it's a great dynamic. Most games tend to build a heavy reward system based on success. BB isn't different there. Who would be successful on equal teams will be even more so with a better team.
When there is a mechanic like FF that isn't strong enough to really make you want to lose but yet shifts the balance a bit back in favor of the underdog, isn't that a great thing?

High FF should be something worth bragging about. To be able to say: Look, this is how good I am, this is what I accomplished, this is the handicap I get in this game. It's very inspiring.
Unfortunatly there are too many d-bags on Fumbbl who think them having a grandfathered LRB4 team with high FF would be any relevant and post in spite of better knowledge in such threads and thanks to Shadow there isn't any remark that labels old teams recognizably. You still can check the match reports but its tedious with that many trolls.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage and zakatan; those quoted passages are perfectly correct. There is no error using "they" as a non-specific singular. Nor is adding an s to a verb incorrect when it is an action taken by an individual. These examples may read oddly to non-native speakers, but nonetheless, are faultless English.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The issue is that English has no real gender neutral singular. Of course strictly it is 'one' as in 'one can count to a hundred' but it is usually seen as pompous and very upper class. As such English has hobbled to the slightly unsatisfactory use of the plural 'they' to substitute for the gender neutral singular.

But anyway, enough of the pedantry.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a good effort much of it is similar to what I would do.

However (here is the but!) I don't like reducing the cost of injured players particularly as the injuries themselves have been reduced in frequency.

Nor do I like the fouling rules, though they are better than the current ones. I would like to see the return of the 'Eye'.

The real problem of course is that we all have different ideas on how to change the rules. Your effort is the best & most thoroughly thought out I have read but I still would not vote them in sorry.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
The issue is that English has no real gender neutral singular. Of course strictly it is 'one' as in 'one can count to a hundred' but it is usually seen as pompous and very upper class. As such English has hobbled to the slightly unsatisfactory use of the plural 'they' to substitute for the gender neutral singular.

But anyway, enough of the pedantry.

I see, so this is really a gender equality issue. It's a shame tho that the readability has to suffer like this.
But I guess it wasn't the only reason.

WhatBall for instance: I had to read the paragraph about 'illegal procedure' 5 times until I understood what you were writing. Of course my own writing spawns the same problems at times, but then I'm not a native speaker and in my native language writing long and cryptic sentences is a sign of intellect. (Hence why people think Immanuel Kant is smart.) I'm not sure this is true for yours.

Then there are some straight out mistakes. For instance a quick look in the star section showed Dodge added to count Luther a second time. A further look then revealed that Morg had Migthy Blow twice.
Although those are kind of very neglectable mistakes, they made me question how much thought you had really had put into all this. Particularly if adding those skills hadn't changed how you evaluated their cost.

Regarding Morg you maybe meant it that way tho. Since you actually added an option for MB for ST5+ twice, which would work like lrb4 CLAW+RSC.

Another of many changes that look really terrible and unnecessary to me. So, if I wouldn't see stuff like this in there, I'd maybe less question your thought process.

Then another thing that makes me wonder if you really understand the logic of the text when I see you replace 'player' with 'miniature' in the beginning where is explained that 'a player' is never a reference to the coach. You remove that reference, yet the rulebook remains full of mentions of 'players'. In your revised version the reader has to guess if *player' is a reference to him or the miniature.

Thing is, since you went through all the text and replaced the male forms with plural whereever 'a player' was referenced it's kind of hard to understand why you didn't actually replace any reference to 'a player' with 'a miniature' and 'it' when you are already claiming that is how it is going to be.

Of course I also appreciate the hard work you put into this. The rule changes seem to be quite massive and it is good to see people like you care and doing their part for the community.
Content wise most of what I read I don't think is an improvement tho and since it does not seem to be well thought through either, I'd probably fight an introduction of something like this with hands and knees.

Other coaches have introduced revised rules before. Although their changes never felt like stuff I'd do and weren't as massive as yours, they still seemed to have put much more thought into the potential benefits and risks and overall felt much more agreeable and supportable.

Oh, and the introduction at the top read as if your changes were sanctioned by the BBRC. That is probably crossing the line to plagiarism, so you may want to outline more clearly that your changes are completely inofficial non-affiliated changes to an official document.
 Jump to: