15 coaches online • Server time: 05:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which ones do you like better ?
Old Slans icons
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
New Slans icons
52%
 52%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 38

anisdrin

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

New versions are good. Much better than older ones.
I also apreciate the work behind the icons, I did pixelart myself and it not easy.
But it's hard to distinguish the player type and this can be a problema while playing.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this was from Whatballs post a month ago.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26371

The first version was the old one where you could not tell a catcher and a lino apart.

The second one was the (I thought current) one where you do see the distinction more clearly.

Obviously with the high screen resolutions that are common these days, both versions would look much smaller on a client.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think when he talks about the old icons he means the ones before that.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1. As noted whatball has played around with the catcher icons a little. They will be added. If they haven't been added yet, then they will be. At least 2 of the people involved in implementing icons have important/serious real life issues right now.

2. The old Slann icons were not made for us, but for the French community. My initial thought and why I suggested going back to SnakeSander's icons was that they were too alike to the original Pat icons.

The client they were made for was using Pat icons not Nick Kelch icons.

Basically this means less cute, stronger outlines, less shading and high lighting, different shadows.

On taking the old ones apart, they're not as far away from ours as I thought though.

3. I think the guy who worked on these new ones has done a great job, I think they're better. However when they were released, we didn't consider them a finished project. More an ongoing project, if anybody wanted to go back to them.

4. As I said in another post. I'm not willing to put the time and effort into FUMBBL projects like this anymore. However I do have all the Slann icons. I have work done by Snake, Cowhead, Zakatan, Whatball and myself. Basically a whole file of prototypes.

If somebody wants to do all the donkey work under my direction. I'm happy to do that. I'm willing to do the design and concept work, but not all the editing.

I posted this, and if anybody was interested to contact me. Nobody did....so I guess these Slann icons aren't so disliked after all.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was super clear, myself. But it had slipped by me that the icons were an 'ongoing project'.

Again, I don't think anyone is being critical of people's hard work serving the community. It's just a matter of taste. For me, the 'original' (is that better?) Slann icons are better, and one day they're what I'd like to see when I play, regardless of what is 'standard'.

For me, FUMBBL icons are like TT dice. I mind not what you use, my only request is that I recognise what happens at a glance; I do not want to spend time concentrating on something tangential to the game, deciphering something weird or confusing. IMO, the older icons (am I right in saying Pat's?) which the Slann the OP refers to are close to stylistically fulfil this brief. The current ones, in some cases, take work for me to distinguish. And that's probably just for me.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, checked this again to make sure.
Whatballs catchers are currently being used.

I find all the other types of players easy to distinguish.

The blitzers have a very unique head and the Krox is also completely different.

So I think I'm going to vote for the current 'new' team, since we won't be getting the old old team back anyways and further change would be just adding to the confusion.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that a forum poll has any power, and even I wouldn't revert to the older icons at this point. TBH, I thought the thread was just abstract musing. Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

Again, I don't think anyone is being critical of people's hard work serving the community. It's just a matter of taste. For me, the 'original' (is that better?) Slann icons are better, and one day they're what I'd like to see when I play, regardless of what is 'standard'.

To clarify, you are indeed a fan of 'pat's' icons.

Graphically, however they're inferior to NKs. Whatball and Mr F however have raised the bar even further since NK. We now airbrush when we feel it's appropriate rather than just change pixel colours.

A good example of this, is if you look at my assassin cloak compared to the old one. Technically superior.

I'd certainly like to change a lot of the current elements of the slann icons.

As an examnple, I worked out a better foot shape, which I did with the zombie slann. The new side view head shape isn't good in my opinion, I have a couple of examples that would be better.

Some of the quirky goggle type things from the original slann icons would be nice to put in.

The new icons though, have fantastic eyes, so I'd like to see a colour that really brings the eye shape out. I'd definitely like to see a 'howling banshee' style colour scheme for the home icons. Maybe brown, something blueish and a strong eye colour for the away ones.

It's like all the icons though, we could spend hours improving them. There's a bunch of icon guys now with the capability of doing some great stuff.

I think when FUMBBL becomes fully custom, then we may see icon making take off.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I've no doubt what we have now is great from a technical standpoint. Smile
WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

On the icons: I think the new ones are better. There were some issues with linos vs. catchers that were not seen until they were added, but those should be fixed with the new catchers.

@Wreckage: Glad you like them, was beginning to think I did something to offend you from your comments in the WRB? thread. Very Happy

@Purplegoo: I can totally understand your preference for Pat;s icons. While they are not as technically "good" as the NK and newer icons, they are clean and easily identifiable. I can imagine on higher resolutions that would be a boon.

Re: icon updates, etc.: For me at least, and for harvestmouse as he has already expressed, this is probably the last of the icon updates I will do in their current format. If needed for a new Stunty race or such I might do some, but when we went to icon tiles and a bunch of us added new positionals, etc., that was what I think is the limit for what can be done. That definitely does not mean the icons could not be better, it means that at this point the return on the investment is negligible. For there to be another icon update/overhaul, we would need to move to a larger/scalable client and completely rethink how icons/sprites are handled.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Just for information, i draw the old slann icons, it was for BOTOCS the first lrb5 client (created by deaf, cheers to him).
At this time there were no slann icon any where.

I draw them with "paint" program and thought someone quickly (or not) do better.
Thougt slann roster was not a competitive one, i choosed a fun style (like catchers with aviator glasses ) and tried to make positionnals clearly identifiable.

As i remember, botocs used NK icons and not pat icons, and i used the human icons for base to the slann.

The new ones are very nice even if i imagine slann must have nice armor like high elves ^^

Cheers for drawers and their good job.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2015 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know you drew them, I'm sorry they were removed without even telling you. I must admit when I suggested to whatball about changing them, I thought they were Patesque than they were. I think your outlines were a bit too dark.

My copy of BOTOCS certainly came with Pat icons and as I remember Da Leeg played with them too. I'm not sure about BB France or their intentions, it was dying by then.

I think yours have some great aspects. I agree about the armour. I love the armour on your star players. I also love your side icons 'snout' shape. That's one thing that could be vastly improved on the new ones, is the snout shape. I also like the aviator goggles. I think any update should get a pair of your goggles as a wink to you.

I believe you should also be added to the 'light show'. You are still represented as a zombie slann player.
zoul

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

No problem, i'm just happy to find a client easy hand and with all icons , i don't need royalties ^^
Icons do their job for a time.
 Jump to: