34 coaches online • Server time: 10:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
Fabulander wrote:

In a way I envy your ability to love stalling, but I'd really still prefer my fantasy football to be a bit more 'realistic', if you can call it that. Smile

I think it is one of the most realistic parts of the game. Imagine you are an elf. You are weak and fragile. If you score now you know you have 5 minutes of facing up against the hulking black orc over there. If you stall it will be 30 seconds. What do you do?

Elf teams with 4 catchers are the teams that benefit the most from no stall rules. Dwarfs vs 4 catcher pro elves and not stall rules is distinctly unfair.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that this thread is going anywhere, or that the NFL has anything to do with balancing a video game, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_out_the_clock

Stalling is part of real football too. Clock management is key.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not relevant, we don't play downs. Also it isn't necessarily the winning team, a losing team can stall for a draw; to save getting a beating, that doesn't exist in our sports.

The equivalent would be a football team passing it backwards and forward without getting anywhere, which is what you could do when 1-0 up and keeping it at the back of the field. I haven't heard any complaints about that.

Stalling is an ugly mechanic, we'd be better off without it. However removing it, causes more problems than it solves. Gameplay and rosters become unbalanced.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Some Kick Off events are an ugly mechanic too and a valid reason to stall.
MDeLarge

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

New anti stall rule: Foul every turn you are being stalled.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

New anti stall rule: Git gud

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
New anti stall rule: Git gud

Heh, yeah, but that includes learning how to stall, so it's really just an anti opponent stall rule. Wink
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

why not make a new anti stall rule, that is anti vs anti stall rule.
you can call it anti anti stall rule for example.

so whenever someone doesnt stall its automatically pitch invation, so whatever goals scored is disalowed, that way all matches end up in draws..

problem solved!
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux: For a similar proposal, see page 1 from 9 years ago Razz
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

MDeLarge wrote:
New anti stall rule: Foul every turn you are being stalled.
Addendum to that. Fouls get +1 to AV, and refs will only throw out a fouler on a double 6 casualty roll while an opponent is stalling
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

olivius wrote:
i 'd like to propose something.
stalling is becoming really ridiculous and i see some people stalling just to make a draw!
i think public in bloodbowl stadiums like touchdowns and runs, public can invade the field during the game if the play is boring, i think it s realistic
my idea is a roll after the fourth turn when the team has the ball and keep it
on the fifth turn on 6 public invasion against the team that have the ball
on the 6th turn 5 or 6 public invasion
etc etc
some coach would say strong teams nedd to stall, i dont do it and my stats are not too bad. but i would preder play instead of waiting 8 turns when the dices are not good at the beginning of a run.
what do you think of that

The game is what it is. Stalling is a big part of the strategic decisions you make during the game.

If fans show up to a game they know has this element, they'd probably expect it. So why would they be upset?

It's like turning up to an American Football game and being upset that it's not Ice Hockey. You're in the wrong stadium ya goof!

The same thing applies to people that complain about stalling. The game is what it is, and it doesn't always conform to what we want it to be (or even what the designers intended it to be for that matter).

Instead of complaining about stalling, do something productive, and try and learn how to counter it.

edit: oh dear, 9 years ago eh? This is a mighty necro! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

olivius wrote:
i 'd like to propose something.
stalling is becoming really ridiculous and i see some people stalling just to make a draw!
i think public in bloodbowl stadiums like touchdowns and runs, public can invade the field during the game if the play is boring, i think it s realistic
my idea is a roll after the fourth turn when the team has the ball and keep it
on the fifth turn on 6 public invasion against the team that have the ball
on the 6th turn 5 or 6 public invasion
etc etc
some coach would say strong teams nedd to stall, i dont do it and my stats are not too bad. but i would preder play instead of waiting 8 turns when the dices are not good at the beginning of a run.
what do you think of that

[1] no, stalling is not "becoming really ridiculous"

[2] learn how to play better, and people will stall less

[3] stalling is a useful skill

[4] there are no 'public' in a BB stadium. It is _imaginary_.

[5] stop using multiple accounts to start the same thread (using a time machine)

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

the reason why there aren't anti-stalling rules is because there's nothing funnier then watching someone stall til turn 8, but when he goes to move his player into the endzone, the opponent calls 'illegal procedure'...and there's no rr to counter.

everyone then spends the rest of the night laughing