36 coaches online • Server time: 10:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys. Been away from Fumbbl for awhile but I really want to get back into it. I want to play in an organized, scheduled league, 1x time a week league (maybe more times a week) but the problem is, I live in the boondocks and it is impossible to get a reliable connection from home, so the only chance I get to play is during my lunch hour at work. Anyone know of any such league, or interested in starting one? Thanks!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Noon Central US time? That's 7pm Central European time. You can probably find a European league to join, no?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

what jackass just said...Smile

A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make -- Gary Gygax
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

That should be a prime blackbox time. Just saying....

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say no, it sounds too unreliable. Your best bet is to stick to the open divisions until you have a reliable connection.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26748

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26692&highlight=
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all your answers, I guess my ugly American was showing and forgot all about Europe. bghandras, I'm still a newb and Blackbox scares me. The problem I'm finding with open divisions is since can only play at noon, I end up playing only about 1/3 of the people in the division, and I'm at a disadvantage in first across the finish types (not that I mind, it's a self-inflicted disadvantage). I just want to play something other than match-making.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Come up with a good theme, and start a Nooner-League. I'll join.

I am in US Central time & I usually play Box during this time. I wouldn't mind a cool Noon League, especially if it has a fun, or unique theme.
albinv

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I didnt play box for quite awhile due to the reputation or "myths" around it.
Just as quite some newbs do. So i can actually fully relate to it. Nowadays i have played way more Box games than Ranked ones. I quickly found out i was wrong and formed my "opinion" solely around forum myths.

Its really far from what most beginners imagine it to be. Sure bash teams dominate and agile teams have a harder time in the long run solely due to that. But clawpomb will mostly happen at higher TV (above 1500) so that can be avoided. Bottom line: many beginners get picked in R playing uphill matches without realizing it.

I doubt Box would be a completely frustrating experiences without chances.
There is nothing to lose giving Box a try, more likely most people will be surprised how wrong their impression was and be happy to have found a way more effective and enjoyable way to arrange a match of BB.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

embrace the blackbox

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

avoid League unless you can be reliable.

otherwise you'll just piss people off Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If you host the League expressly stating the games run from 12:00 - 13:00 CST, to be continued if time is exceeded, there should be no problem.

BUT...

As previously stated, the Box, especially at low TV is nothing to fear. There is a healthy mix of coaching level & team diversity. However; starting a game in the Box you can't finish, might get you in trouble.
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I can always finish games that I start, as long as my opponent doesn't go afk for an hour to eat dinner (which has happened numerous times to me.) I think next week I'll just jump head first into box and see what happens.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Good plan!

Also, I've played more Box than anyone, and the majority of my games are 30-45 minutes.
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Bill, that might just be my problem. My turns on average last about 45 seconds. Need more thinky, less do-y.
 Jump to: