53 coaches online • Server time: 11:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing in a tabletop league where skill use has to be declared *before* any dice rolls.

For instance; if you knock a player down with Mighty Blow, you have to declare whether the +1 will be applied to armour or injury rolls before you roll for armour. Or, if an enemy player is about to dodge out of the TZ of one of your players with Diving Tackle, you have to decide whether your player goes prone before they roll for to dodge.

I'm aware this isn't the interpretation on FUMBBL, and thus I assume not the standard rules. My gut instinct is that this makes MB about 1/2 as good, and DT even worse.

My witch rolled doubles for her second skill after last night's game. I'm tempted to skip MB under these rules and take Side-Step. Am I crazy to do this?

(if relevant - I have a max of 3 games left, most likely against Chaos Dwarves, Orcs and Chaos Dwarves)
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 13:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You're correct that it's not standard rules, and also that it makes the skills much less powerful. However, Mb is so powerful that I think I'd take it anyway and just keep using the +1 to AV roll option.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Aussiown

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

When I first played tabletop Blood Bowl this was how I played. I thought FumBBL was odd when I started here and that the interpretation used in the client made certain skills OP.
lemf

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Could be that your club has decided to make it this way round as a house rule.
Probably worth suggesting at the end of the season that it is switched back.

Similar to the house rule at the club I play in where special play card are chosen rather than randomly drawn from decks.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd always opt for +1 to injury!

(and yes, way less powerful, so get claws!)

Your skill choice depends on your play style.

You'll probably do more damage crowd surfing than with just mb hits.

SS is a great choice.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go with juggernaut. Force those slow teams to go for the sidelines and start surfn!

Depending on your other skills dauntless could be useful in the given match ups.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend that you make a rule that not all skills have to be declared but that their use is assumed instead. That being for skills like Block or Tackle where not using them doesn't make any sense and just would slow the game pointlessly when you have to declare the use of 3-4 skills on a developed player.

As for reroll skills it's even trickier because if you decide to reroll a roll before you even know what it is the first time, it is pointless to already reroll it. I guess the right interpretation in the spirit of what you describe would be therefore to declare the intention to use the skill while retaining the option to actually do it in the event of its need. Or to just allow their use after the roll.

As for strategy I think it would be usually best to use the skill as early as possible in your row of actions (for instance if you have to pick on what to use MB, pick the armor roll- you gotta get through that either way)and to otherwise rely heavily on team re-rolls.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Take Juggernaut.