35 coaches online • Server time: 10:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Tricktickler wrote:
XFL has the most boring format of all tournaments (mirror games only) and since XFLs already take up a big chunk of the total number of tournaments/year I don't think doubling the amount of XFLs is a good idea. Halving them would be better (2 years to complete a circle instead of 1 year) and would also increase the interest in them and the value of winning them.

So regarding the amount of XFLs I suggest either leave it as it is or halve the amount.

Regarding access to XFL for blackbox teams I think a merged XFL for both ranked and blackbox teams would be a good idea but if that's not possible I suggest deciding randomly for every race which division the XFL should take part in.

The XFL Masters could then probably be merged like fumbbl cup because that one happens only once per year.

Grids ain't gonna fill themselves
sonrises

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

Both R/B are flooded with brawls/smacks,minors and majors. They are going off all over the place.

You could make a case that to increase participation the best option is to reduce the amount of tournament action in R/B.

I agree that tournament calendar is saturated. It could be a good idea to reduce the volume of tournaments played.

And yes to merging R/B for RRR and XFL when possible!

o/
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
my theory about the outcome of mixing R and B in XFL

This is only a theory mouse (allow me to shorten your quote), we don't know how this will pan out. All teams - be it ranked or blackbox - are mainly made for playing non-mirrors anyway, so putting any team in the XFL in the first place, means making the teams play in an unusual environment.

Furthermore, it's not like you have to play the next dozen games in the XFL against crazy OP builds from Ranked/Blackbox. It's a couple of games man, so no need to worry that greatly. Make more fun.

I agree about the awards though. Every major could have a Temple Guardian-ish player, and then some, imo. And not only for the winner.

Not sure if you want request EA, so have me excused if not Smile

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
my theory about the outcome of mixing R and B in XFL

This is only a theory mouse (allow me to shorten your quote), we don't know how this will pan out. All teams - be it ranked or blackbox - are mainly made for playing non-mirrors anyway, so putting any team in the XFL in the first place, means making the teams play in an unusual environment.

Furthermore, it's not like you have to play the next dozen games in the XFL against crazy OP builds from Ranked/Blackbox. It's a couple of games man, so no need to worry that greatly. Make more fun.

I agree about the awards though. Every major could have a Temple Guardian-ish player, and then some, imo. And not only for the winner.

Not sure if you want request EA, so have me excused if not Smile

He just ignored all the people who are clamoring for a mixed XFL and claimed there is no intrigue. Handwaving our little voices away like that.

He's not even curious to see how it plays out.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

While I would love a joint Human XFL they are probably better separated for the ARR! Races. Just the chance of increased play of these races in the box in preparation for a B XFL is enough reason to keep them separated. Anything for the chance of increased diversity.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Tricktickler wrote:
XFL has the most boring format of all tournaments (mirror games only) and since XFLs already take up a big chunk of the total number of tournaments/year I don't think doubling the amount of XFLs is a good idea. Halving them would be better (2 years to complete a circle instead of 1 year) and would also increase the interest in them and the value of winning them.

So regarding the amount of XFLs I suggest either leave it as it is or halve the amount.

Regarding access to XFL for blackbox teams I think a merged XFL for both ranked and blackbox teams would be a good idea but if that's not possible I suggest deciding randomly for every race which division the XFL should take part in.

The XFL Masters could then probably be merged like fumbbl cup because that one happens only once per year.

Wow, that is truly a load of Bull.

XFL are as popular as they are for a reason. Just the fact that you fail to see why so many people enjoy them is not a reason to decrease the format's frequency.

As for the merging discussion I am quite neutral. Sure, there are races where teams from one division have an advatage on paper, but can anyone honestly say that a Clawpomb team pimped up in Ranked can not compete with the Box monster teams?

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

As for the merging discussion I am quite neutral. Sure, there are races where teams from one division have an advatage on paper, but can anyone honestly say that a Clawpomb team pimped up in Ranked can not compete with the Box monster teams?

Exactly. If a division has an edge here, it is Ranked. But merging can only benefit the XFL because there will be more participants.

As for tournament play in general, Brawls and (especially) Smacks maybe even RRRs have been rather slow the last 3-4 months so we may have an issue here.
The Majors and bigger Minors still attract the player base.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, I love the enthusiasm but this thread was for announcements to changes that will happen.

Not what you guys want to happen Smile

Merging the divisions is not going to happen, merging minor tournaments like RRR and XFL is not going to happen. Might be able to get a merged masters but even that is not set.

Now, serious question.

Do you honestly believe there are too many tournaments? As I have never heard this said before. Or are you just using that as an excuse to try and get merged tournaments?

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

cdassak wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

Exactly. If a division has an edge here, it is Ranked. But merging can only benefit the XFL because there will be more participants.

As for tournament play in general, Brawls and (especially) Smacks maybe even RRRs have been rather slow the last 3-4 months so we may have an issue here.
The Majors and bigger Minors still attract the player base.

Summer is always a slow time for tournaments.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What EA is trying to say is that he'd rather have you guys send him PMs with suggestions. Make a new PM for each suggestion and perhaps suggest some CPOMB nerf while you're at it! Wink

(grats on the job, good luck!)

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that there are too many tourneys.
Also, my reasoning for an XFL and RRR merge is that it will benefit both.
Anyway, according to the schedule a 1600 Minor starts next week Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

easilyamused wrote:

Now, serious question.
Do you honestly believe there are too many tournaments?

Yes, imho. Offer is saturated. Big overlaps at some point during the year. Majors take most of the calendar and rest of tournaments have to squeeze in any half available slot in the calendar.

FUMBBL player base can take easily a big quantity of tournaments per year. There is a nice demand, but my feeling is that current offer is far too much.

If new tournament formats (i.e TOUR) were to be introduced now, which it sounds nice to me, i am pretty sure that some other minor tournament would take the blow.

Rationalize the calendar could be a good idea so that existing tournaments have a spot of their own in the calendar.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

easilyamused wrote:
Do you honestly believe there are too many tournaments?

I do. Having eight is far too many IMO.

One for each competititve division plus the FUMBBL Cup should be enough. With that few majors we could have better prizes. Motivational ones.

Some brainstormed ideas:

Three random mutations only for the first place team? C'mon. Give them 5 mutations instead picked by the coach. Each mutation should differ and one player should get one mutation. That would be a nice top prize. 3 mutations for the second place, 2 for the third, 1 for the 4th. Give +1MVP and 200000 gold to the 5-8 place. Give 100000 gold to the 9-16 place teams. That would help the bashed teams to regenerate. Don't just give prize to the first place team.

Moreover let trade 3 mutations for a Hypnotic Gaze, 2 mutations for a Regeneration. 2 mutations to remove a negatrait from a player. 1 mutation to upgrade an existing skill of a player (single -> double, double -> +MA/AV, +MA/AV->+AG, +AG->+ST). 2 mutation to heal a perma injury.

One year Temple Guard Champion? C'mon. Give permanent players to the teams. Give permanent unique players in decreasing value for the first 4 place teams. Even better, design 4 pools and let coach pick the unique player which fits the team the best.

Or let winner pick any positional(s) for 250000 gold. 120000 gold for the second place, 70000 gold for the third place, and 40000 for the 4th place. For 30000 gold the coach may add an extra normal skill to a player.

Or give the winner a +ST, a +AG, a +MA/+TV, a double and a single sill. Give a +stat (except +ST), a double and a single for the second place, a double and a single to the 3rd place, and a single to the third.

EDIt: sonrises suggested the rotation of current Majors instead of banning. +1 to that idea. However I would still prefer FC+1+1 majors.

Last edited by SzieberthAdam on %b %03, %2015 - %12:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Your first point, I think you'd have to change it from a 'Major' system (like golf, tennis and official BB) as they're all 4 per year. Would that change be popular? I don't think so, particularly the longer a tournament has been around the more heritage and prestige in winning it.

As for your second idea. The Temple Champion was permanent at one point (I think accidentally). I think the reason it isn't is that it could lead to a team becoming nigh on unbeatable (aka the eaters).

However that does sound a good idea now that we have decay. Your idea plus decay sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe, say for the Lustrian, you have to choose players from Liz, Slann, Zon teams?
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2015 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a tricky one, because many of them offer something different. Eg.

Blackcup shouldn't go because it allows teams of any TV to enter and there is no cut off, everyone gets in, which is unique to the division.

GLT - Has very specific application rules which lead to a very diverse set of finalists and for me this tournament has the greatest chance for T2 and T3 teams to win something.

FC - is the big one and obviously has to stay.

WoC and Ulthuan both have interesting formats and prizes.

Which leaves Warpstone Lustrian and CoS which for me are all pretty uninspired thematically, I think something more interesting could be done with all 3, but I am sure someone that actually plays tournaments regularly will tell us why they like those 3.

So cutting anything will be tough.