39 coaches online • Server time: 00:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't know whether it's right way to ask for them, or not. Please direct me to the correct forum/mail list then.

1) May be it's just my lack of experience (I'm a new fumbbl member), but I just can't find any means to distinguish players I've already moved that turn from ones I haven't. Their icons stay the same, so I have to click each and every one until I've found out the one or two that still need attention (which is prone to misclicking, btw). The best approach here could be marking the icon of every player that already was moved that turn with some small sign, or just graying it out.
2) It would greatly improve usability if right after announcing blitz or block action a ST value of all and every opponent players become displayed over their icons on the field. Just a mere big number drawn on top of their icons. It also would help a lot if players with guard were marked somehow too, with a little red square indicator, for example.

Both could me made a switchable options, no need to enforce it.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

1) they do become transparent/greyed out
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
1) they do become transparent/greyed out

I probably need more practice, then, as I had hard times to find the ones I haven't moved yesterday when playing test match between forest gobbos and cheaters.
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As for 2, you have the option to add markers to players (for example guard, or +ST ones. Simply shift-click a player and type in a (short) marker that will be displayed on the player.
Timetis

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

2) You can mark skills in the client; hold shift and click; then fill in an appropriate marking. (ie; marking that +S guarder as s4G) The markings remain above the player all match.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an issue in a recent khemri v khemri match, where due to the quality of the laptop screen and my own sight issues, I couldn't distinguish between the opponent and my own players. It was particularly a problem in the first half, with all the players still on the pitch and bunched up. Seemed to be particularly bad due to the amount of white that makes up the Khemri team design.

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
As for 2, you have the option to add markers to players (for example guard, or +ST ones. Simply shift-click a player and type in a (short) marker that will be displayed on the player.

It seems like you will need to do this every time, what is not actually what I was talking about (still a great feature if you need to mark a couple of very special players). That won't help you to quickly, with one glance, evaluate the whole field and find the best blitz target, unless you will start to mark each and every opponent's player in each and every your game. The client already has indications showing required dodge rolls if you are surrounded by tackle zones. So that one feature would merge in perfectly, significantly lowering the strain when searching for block/blitz possibilities in tightly-packed areas.

Last edited by Mori-mori-mori on Sep 06, 2015 - 14:40; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Players with guard (or any other skill) CAN be marked. Hold shift and then click on a player. You can then mark their skills with up to 6 characters. For example with G for guard, B for Block, etc. If a player has a +ST skill, you can mark their new ST. So a ST4 human blitzer with Guard, MB, Tackle could be marked 4gmt, for example. Different people mark differently. Some do all skills, some just do the ones they regard as most important. Some have certain combos represented by a single symbol: ! for CPOMB, & for Blodge, or whatever. Some don't mark at all. Whatever works for you.

Also, the markings you put on your own players will be saved from game to game. So at the start of a game you just have to mark the opponent's team and any new skills your players got after their last match.

Once you know you can mark players, the only thing left to meet your requests is knowing the starting ST of the various player types. The rosters are available in the Help section if you need to refer to them during a game, and the more you play, the more you'll come to just know them.

Multi-ninjaed...

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You can mouse over the players to see their stats. If you not sure you should probably do that before declaring the action.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You can mouse over the players to see their stats. If you not sure you should probably do that before declaring the action.

That's all great, of course, but still hardly can be compared to the complete overlay showing all ST of players at once. It's very limited circumvention methods, and very inconvenient, lacking clarity. Your suggestion, koadah, implies you will have to constantly repeat again and again sequence like that: "mouse over -> remember ST -> mouse over -> remember ST -> ... -> forgot ST of that one before, need to mouse over him again" - and we have very limited time for a turn, and a lot of other, more important thinking/things to do. And other suggestions, involving marking, implies a lot of repetitive and tedious work for every single match, what is simply unfeasible. It cannot even be closely compared with ability to press one key and be able to view complete overlay of ST distribution all over the field.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

A) Learn all player stats
B) Mark all +ST players and guards
C) Learn how blocking works.

I've almost never had any problems figuring out blitzes, perhaps only when drunk/tired.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Mori-mori-mori wrote:
1) May be it's just my lack of experience

yep

Mori-mori-mori wrote:
2) It would greatly improve usability if right after announcing blitz or block action a ST value of all and every opponent players become displayed over their icons on the field. It also would help a lot if players with guard were marked somehow too.

Nope.

The client shows you how many dice you get when you hover the player to actually hit him. If you can't work out before you move there for a blitz or remember skills (Guard, DT etc) then that's bad play and on you.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
A) Learn all player stats
B) Mark all +ST players and guards
C) Learn how blocking works.

I've almost never had any problems figuring out blitzes, perhaps only when drunk/tired.

The point is not it's something you can't do (if you are really want to, you can get by heart all rosters in a month, but will you? I won't for sure), the point is to enhance usability of a client, and allow player spend his mental efforts not on struggling with imperfect UI, but to struggling with his opponent, even if he still hasn't remembered all stats of all players, including custom teams. That's why computers exists - to save us from tedious, repetitive, not so interesting work. I presume that most of fumbbl playerbase are started as tabletop players, and, supposedly, many years ago, so it's not a big deal for them, to keep in mind all that details. But from a perspective of a guy who have never played a tabletop version and started playing BB at Cyanide's systems, that is a serious issue of usability. Is it a bad thing to flatten the learning curve a little? I think, as time passes, there will be more and more people like me.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Dare I say...Jimmy is right.

Just to clarify...is it the time taken to mark the players at the start of a game or just the task itself? Or am I missing something completely?

The advice above is great advice imo.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well BB is still a TT game, not a computer game.
Kalimars client is very automated though, compared to other clients.

However, i see your point, but for most fumbbl coaches i don't think it will make any difference.
 Jump to: