35 coaches online • Server time: 09:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
SquirrelDude wrote:
I know there are a lot of people out there who want another NFL blitz game. Doing something like that with the license could have been the big breakout they want.

Yeah seriously. Backbreaker with bloodbowl graphics would have been unbelievable.

I don't think he was talking only about fumbbl, and I don't think games played is actually a useful measure of anything.

Have you watched (or played) any on BB2? The play level is atrocious, but the game is apparently being marketed not to the 'established community' (whatever you want to think that is), but to whatever target audience cyanide thinks will maximize their profits.

Which is completely understandable of course, it's just that the 'established community' thinks BB2 is not going to deliver the 'full' experience.

We can argue all year about CRP or what 'standard BB' is or should be. Clearly cyanide are taking liberties with it, and clearly they have at least tacit permission from GW to do so.

Still, releasing races as DLC over time is annoying, and it seems we won't even get all CRP races (not that BB1 gave them either), but we will get 'dumb' races like Brets and Khorne and whatever else they come up with.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, I'm very ambivalent about both BB2 and FUMBBL, seeing as there doesn't appear to be any true organization which is 'in control' of what BB is or should be the splits will simply increase over time. To the point where I think FUMBBL doesn't need to hold so closely to CRP, but that's not my call, or really my concern.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

WolfyDan wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
SquirrelDude wrote:
And since it hasn't been posted here yet. Here is every question and answer from the AMA on Wednesday.

Before I thought they didn't have a clue. After reading that, I'm enlightened. Now there is no doubt, they really don't have a clue.

BB1 to BB2 really is a new game to them like Resident Evil 1 - 2 or something.

I think they do not realise that the established community is a more powerful thing than they.

Steamspy thinks there are 61,000 owners of Blood Bowl 2:
http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=blood+bowl+2

Steam page says there are 1,844 players in game right now (this will change depending on when you click the link):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/236690

And that's just PC players, there are PS4 and XBox players as well to add to that.

Comparatively at present FUMBBL has 23 games being played. In exactly what way is the established community more powerful?

FUMBBL is one cog of the established community. Blood Bowl does exist outside our little box you know.

People like new games, however most won't stay with a game once it gets older and something new comes out that fulfills that niche.

So they may have the most games being played on any format in BB at the moment, but that won't last with clueless direction. By this I mean if they try to take BB of in a new direction (which they could do if they had a clue about what they are doing) with this clueless approach, it's not going to work in the long run. The rest of the community will have a different game that's going to be much better and they will leave Cyanide.......unless they get lucky of course and produce something that forces the community to adapt, but that's not likely.
MisterFurious

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

SquirrelDude wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
I honestly wish that they would leave the board game approach to their game and do something else with the license.

I would have liked it if they went for something similar to what the Frozen Synapse did. And implemented as well of course. Wink
I know there are a lot of people out there who want another NFL blitz game. Doing something like that with the license could have been the big breakout they want.

Anyway, the sales numbers aren't great right now. Only 60k or so copies have been sold on PC. Christmas is coming up though, so we should expect a spike in sales for them, as you would for anyone.

"Mutant League Football" is coming back as "Mutant Football League" which may satisfy those people.
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Also worth noting that many of the 'establishment' like long term leagues. BB1 teams can't convert to BB2 teams, or well maybe they can, but they don't have all the rosters, so you have to continue on BB1 and can't play your league in BB2.

It's kind of a thing though really. BB2 could be great (it isn't, but let's pretend it is) and still a core of 'establishment' players wouldn't upgrade to it because they can't move their current teams over.

Goes to the notion of what BB should be, and how it should be played. Of course, that's a personal question, everyone is going to have their own opinion, but the problem is that you cannot cater to everyone. This is a problem on FUMBBL with the split between R and B, it's even a problem within R and B since there's no unified reason for anyone to care about their teams within those divisions.

So what's the overall reason to play BB2? How many options are going to be available to players? IF each iteration of Cyanide BB blocks transfering older teams/leagues up, then what's the real impetus to play?

You wind up with a game that attracts either short term interest, or just people who want to play a series of one off games to fight for an ultimately meaningless ladder spot in divisions which are literally crippled due the ease of cheating (abusing bugs) or even just racking up concession wins.

Look, that may appeal to some, or to many even, and more power to them. But it's not anything that the 'establishment' is interested in. The further cyanide takes BB away from CRP the more divisive it's going to be, and ultimately, you are going to have a much more fractured community than you already do.

Sort of a big who gives a crap though right? But at some point you can't attract new players at any decent rate because there's no standard across the different platforms available.
coombz

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MisterFurious wrote:

"Mutant League Football" is coming back as "Mutant Football League" which may satisfy those people.

WHAT!??!

WHEN?!

WHERE?!?!

HOW?!?

That's Trailer Park Life.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Also worth noting that many of the 'establishment' like long term leagues. BB1 teams can't convert to BB2 teams, or well maybe they can, but they don't have all the rosters, so you have to continue on BB1 and can't play your league in BB2.

It's kind of a thing though really. BB2 could be great (it isn't, but let's pretend it is) and still a core of 'establishment' players wouldn't upgrade to it because they can't move their current teams over.

Unsupported formats never survive though. I can't think of one game where another superseded it and the former went on for very long.

I'm not talking about say......CoD where the older title has different maps, but more let's say a racing game where the newer one superseded the old one, even though the older one had more cars.

Also didn't they turn off their BB1 server?

LRB4-CRP here is a prime example.

Mutant League Football should have a lot of interesting artwork that will be inspiring.
BubbaDave

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

coombz wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:

WHAT!??!

WHEN?!

WHERE?!?!

HOW?!?

What he said... er, shouted...
Subs

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Look that: Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbBlYG3J0U&feature=youtu.be
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

That looks terrible! Sad
SquirrelDude

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcade games never really look that coherent without context.
WolfyDan

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

FUMBBL is one cog of the established community. Blood Bowl does exist outside our little box you know.

I do know that BB exists outside of our little box; hence my stats. Let's assume that all NAF TT players are still active. That's about 20 thousand. So still outnumbered.

harvestmouse wrote:

People like new games, however most won't stay with a game once it gets older and something new comes out that fulfills that niche.

So they may have the most games being played on any format in BB at the moment, but that won't last with clueless direction.

There's nothing to back up your opinions. Sure the player numbers will drop off over time, but even if it shrank to 10% of the current numbers that would still be bigger than here. And the clueless direction you speak of is the same one that made the 60k sales to begin with.

All of which has nothing to backup your statement that the established community is more powerful than they. I'm still trying to understand your point.

harvestmouse wrote:
Also didn't they turn off their BB1 server?

No, and in the AMA they said "The servers for BB1 will be availiable for lots more time to come, but it's unlikely more content will be added to the game."

What probably happened is that the servers went down for a bit, some guy assumed they had switched them off for good without saying anything in advance, posted it in a forum, and everyone else looking to stick the boot into Cyanide ran with it.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, who removed your dildo from your arse? Pretty fighty and anal opinions there. There are various BB avenues. You haven't thought about private leagues or PBeM. I personally play around 5 games a week on a private java BB.

The last I heard was they shut down the server, which doesn't necessarily mean that BB1 is dead, but means it isn't supported anymore. Are you saying that it is back up again?

As for games that have been superseded I have given examples. I can't think of one time where a game has been superseded and has continued with any sort of longterm support. If I am wrong please enlighten me.
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The only game I know of that has remained active and supported long after version 2 arrived is Everquest. It's still going, and still has new content every now and then, albeit with a greatly reduced player base (back in the day I was addicted to this game and was top for my class on our server). I do agree though that the overwhelming majority of games are largely deserted for newer and shinier versions.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Calcium

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I was proper addicted to Freelancer, but that was ages ago and the servers are long since shut Sad

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if it's receiving new content then it's supported still. And am I right in saying that EQ was a different game to EQ2? In which case it was worth playing both of them.

Remember BB2 is a direct replacement to BB1.
 Jump to: