11 coaches online • Server time: 06:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have to do some RL-stuff, like taking care of kids, say so. Most coaches will understand and give you the time.
If you are willing to timeout your opponent, then give a warning, and most opponent will speed up their game, or at least tell you if they have to do some RL-stuff.

If the 4-minutes limit was enforced, then there would be an automatic turnover.
If there was no limit on how long you could take, then there wouldn't be a 4-minutes timer and a timeout button.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It is good sportsmanship to give your opponents time if needed (RL, baby crying, pythrr set your house on fire for not naming your players properly, etc.) However, I also think it's good sportsmanship to stay inside the 4 minutes. Automatic TO wouldn't really work because of this would they?

I really don't mind when a coach does it the odd time but it's the repeat offenders that I would warn and then pound that TO button every turn.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. Its great that its optional, I occasionally have to answer a phone or something, usually I can take the call and finish my turn within the 4 minute mind, but it should never be automatic.

I do get why it gets pushed though, there is really never a time 4 minutes is needed if you are at the keyboard for the whole 4 minutes. Especially playing on fumbbl when all the dice rolls are done for you and the results are immediate.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not going to get drawn into the rights and wrongs of timeouts. We've been here before.

However - it's not good sportsmanship to not timeout if the phone goes. I was under the impression the rules of the site were that you simply cannot. It's there, rightly or wrongly, for over 4 minutes of thinking / moving time. If I say 'brb, phone / cat on fire / baby crying' after 90 seconds, you're bound by the rules to wait. Hence the lack of enforced timeouts. Also caters for those that hate it on principle.

I think, anyway? Perhaps a staff member can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway. Timeout thread. See you in 40 pages. Wink
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

in my profile I have stated that I will offer one warning only about turn time.
however if like many games recently, we are both chatting then turn time wise I have no issues with.

One game recently was challenged by a new player. first turn took 11 minutes as they were trying to figure out the game etc.

but on the flip side, I played someone who never spoke in game at all and finished their turn everytime at around 3 mins 50.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, and I think I have the right opinion here. I liked the old system where you had 4 minutes per turn plus 10 for the game. Then the system timed you out automatically.

For me, I generally take less than 2 minutes per turn, however occasionally I need longer. If an opponent is very good or very fast, I need more time and may go over 4 mintues on a turn or two.

I have had some really rough games where I've been diced and vs a slow opponent. That really is the worst thing in the world. So slow coaches please be considerate that. Especially when a coach takes a game close to their bed time, gets diced and vs a slow coach that is continually slow even though the outcome is secure. That's a jump in front of a speeding deathroller situation, so both sides should be considerate.

Or we could just ban dom and smally and everything is good.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

\I'm extremely drunky
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

but my opinion is good
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally don't mind slow play if the opponent is fun/chatty/warns when AFK. The slow and silent ones are horrible, sucking all the joy out of playing.

There are several coaches who will spend 30 seconds deciding whether to follow on a push, or where to place a sidestepper even when you are down to 2 or 3 players and they're 3-0 up with a full team on the pitch. Slow because there's lots of options to ponder, OK I get that - slow when there aren't, you're just being a douch canoe.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Throweck

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
\I'm extremely drunky

\o/ I love drunk HM!

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes I played with opponents (Box and private league) taking more than 4 minutes and I didn't time them out, then they timed me out in a crucial turn.
So, trust no one.
mdd31

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Something I just don't understand is this. It is ok to Timeout someone if they are actively in the middle of their turn but are being slow and it hits 4 minutes. But it is NOT ok to Timeout someone and they type BRB and then literally disappear for almost 30 minutes with no other communication. Also keep in mind that the person who left is not someone you know or have ever gamed with before and their chat up to that point was almost non-existent. Just makes no sense. I guess the person's time who was left waiting is not as valuable as the time of the person who left.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 16:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

mdd31 wrote:
Something I just don't understand is this. It is ok to Timeout someone if they are actively in the middle of their turn but are being slow and it hits 4 minutes. But it is NOT ok to Timeout someone and they type BRB and then literally disappear for almost 30 minutes with no other communication. Also keep in mind that the person who left is not someone you know or have ever gamed with before and their chat up to that point was almost non-existent. Just makes no sense. I guess the person's time who was left waiting is not as valuable as the time of the person who left.

that is not a legal use of the timeout button. if a player says brb and does not return for 30 mins then you consider them disconnected. follow the rules for disconnected players. shut the client and u can ask to reschedule the match or have it canceled.

Do not time someone out for this.

The timeout button is for slow play only.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

drunky!
mekutata

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Automatic time out for competitive divisions would avoid a lot of rage against time-outers.
Just make it automatic and nobody will get upset.
It's so simple.

it is also simple now and imo better.
for example a coach suddenly has an urgent urge to urge the toilet.
lets the other coach know via chat, can go and do what is needed, other coach knows a real life interference prevented to move in 4 minutes, doesn't timeout, other coach comes back "back" "welcome" and rolls 4 skulls.
much better imo than an automatic timeout .. which could also lead to some problems in case of connection or client trouble.