16 coaches online • Server time: 05:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long should a term as ARR captain last?
6 months (3 seasons).
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
12 months (6 seasons).
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
π months (π/2 seasons).
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

happygrue

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2015 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest (some via IRC or PM)! I'm pleased to make it offical: cdassak will take over as chaARRman/admARRal/whatever title he wants! mrt1212 will also be helping out, and probably some other folks as well. In the past two years we have done some great things as a community - and had a lot of fun doing them. I'm personally very glad to have cdassak and a top notch crew at the helm, and I have no doubt that he will continue to propel us on to biggARR and bettARR things!

But I'd also like to take a moment to thank some people for their hard work. First and foremost is koadah. ARR got it's start when he and I were PMing back and forth about a metagroup idea I had (grander and more pie in the sky than ARR), and when Christer made the box scheduler change during those talks koadah quickly suggested that we capitalize on the momentum and get something going ASAP. Thus we ripped off some of the HLP's better ideas and used a lot of the existing sprint architecture that koadah has put LOTS of work into. He also still has to do some updating every season, and without his efforts we wouldn't have ARR, HLP, box sprints, box stats (not to mention OLC and 145 club). I'm probably even forgetting something - he does so much it's hard to remember it all. Wink Without his automated scoring I have no doubt that we would not be here! Truly, if you live near him you owe him a beer or three.

I'd also like to thank The_Murker, who put together all of ARR original ARRt. Without those badges getting done in that first season we might not have seen the momentum build in those early days, which has continued to build us into being the second most populous metagroup on FUMBBL!

Not to be forgotten were two notable coaches who helped out in the early days - Dunenzed was a great help in the planning and initial seasons. As an experienced HLP member he was a great resource for suggestions and a sounding board for ideas who helped edit first drafts and polish up our haphazard beginning. And secondly - Woodstock. It's not widely known, but we had quite a time trying to find the right name for ARR group. Many ideas were not quite as sharp as I wanted and it was while debating on IRC with Woodstock and Kryten where I was venting about how "nothing was perfect" and how I was trying to make "least played races in the box" into some kind of fun acronym... As I recall Woodstock suggested Least Activated Races Race (LARR), and we all said ARR! at about the same time afterward... it was baby steps to get throw "Abandoned" in there and we were finally off to the races! So while having nothing else to do with the group, he still managed to contribute in a way that will be remembered forevARR. Wink

And finally, my thanks to cdassak who has helped contribute fluff and ideas as well as motivation behind the scenes for some time now. He's been the number one supportARR for some time now, and I hope that fresh faces will step up now to help him out in the same way that he stepped up for me many months ago.

Okay, the speech is over - you can all sit down and drink up. Next up: I have a busy weekend but I'll get the long belated awards from last season out of the way this week. cdassak is busy at work for the next two weeks, so I'll also be finishing out the season with the Awards at the end of the month (marking an even 12 seasons for me), and I'll hand the reins over after that. I expect he'll have a number of fun announcements in the coming days, so stay tuned. The future will be fun, I guARRantee it!

Jump to: