49 coaches online • Server time: 13:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
two_larsens

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Fumbblers,

I am a fairly new player, and have had a lot of fun with the game, but I for sure have a lot of trouble.
So, for instance, starting a Wood Elf team. I hear and read "You can score at will" and all such things, and I'm sure you can. However, I can't. What normally happens is this: I get the ball, run behind some sort of protection, get marked, try to dodge, fail, since most of the players are marked, either accept it, or lose a re-roll, and then get hammered into a corner.
What is the right thing to do?
I see there's a lot of strategy guides, but more about builds, and not actual "do this, in this or that situation".
I think what happened is that I learned the game playing orcs and dwarves, but elves are not that, and you simply can't do what you do with those, so I think bad habits.
So, in essence: if against a bashy team, it is red dice, or one die, but either way, it is a hit or dodge, which means fail or re-rolls too often.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated.
CW

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play against me I can promise you that your elves will never fail their dodges.

Seriously, I am not a good elf coach at all. But, the ones that are good simply avoid getting their players hit. They use positioning and their ability to dodge and move to stay away from all but the most necessary blocks.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd give you advice based on the performances with your team. But seeing how you are new and never played a game on the site it is kinda hard to give specific advice.

General strategy doesn't really change from race to race. You cage the ball, you 2d block as much as you can and you move forward.

Perhaps specific about elves is that you can block or dodge and sort of pick your fights. You still should prefer blocking to dodging, if just because dodging won't keep your opponent on distance.

With Elves you may also consider trying to screen to gain a lot of space to manuver and not to get caged in.

Avoid rolling dice, be aware of probabilities. Perhaps try another race then try ihe same thing with woodies and it will be easier.

Usually it's harder to learn how to stay alive with woodies. If you can do that, winning is usually not that hard either.

Oh also avoid the sidelines. Try to build cages in the middle rather. Give yourself options.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %26, %2015 - %15:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Watch some replays how others do. On the other hand - Are you confortible defending with woodies? If you are not, then try a different team first.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. I do watch as much as I can. I guess I'll just have to change my thinking, but it is tricky since one tends to get stuck into a pattern.
I haven't played on Fumbbl yet, but would like to, since it seems a lot more of a knowledgeable place, and not so much bash-your-way-to-the-end-zone Smile Also, it seems the place to learn.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah screening is the key here, which means, set up a first line of players spread 2 squares apart so nobody can dodge between them, and hide your other players behind them. Your opponent won't be able to mark so many players. If your screen is wide enough you don't even have to cage because nobody can get behind it. You will still get marked but then you can use your Blitz, move in some assists, do some 2d blocks (don't follow up if that leaves you standing next to an opposing player that isn't prone)... and free up your players that way. Get the ball somewhere safe and then do your dodges only when a failed dodge won't hurt you.

Still when playing Elves you'll have to make dodges. On Wood Elves your Wardancers and Catchers already come with the Dodge skill so that should save you some rerolls. At low-ish TV Dodge is usually the first skill I give to a Lino, too, with the exception of one Kicker and of course Doubles. Also, on the subject of getting hammered into a corner, getting a Treeman can help some with that, he is a pillar for your screen/cage that's not easy to knock down or push away.

It still takes practice to apply all of this, though. So, as a great man once said, PLAY MORE GAMES!! Wink
Roland

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Block when you csn get a 2DB
Dodge if not possible.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

If you do find a way to get out of marking, teachers around the world will salute you!

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Read this excellent guide by Garion to get you started. It helped me a lot when I first started out.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Make a team, play some games. We can help you better if we can spec some replays. Getting your butt kicked is fine, it'll show us where you're going wrong.

I recommend making 3 teams, actually. Make a League team then PM some experienced coaches (people replying to this post are a good place to start) and ask to play some games that don't count* with fresh League teams, so you can take your time and learn what to do. Then make a Ranked and/or Blackbox team to play regularly once you've figured out where you're going. Then make a fresh League team to play in the 145 Club. Then, once you start to get good you'll get invites to other leagues, which is where the real fun is. Smile

* League games count to your overall record, but not toward your competitive record or CR.

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %26, %2015 - %17:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

What you need when training elfs is patience, you will fail at critical times often in the beginning, but trust me, its normal. thats why you should select early dodge on them.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well Elves dodge well of course, but remember a standard dodge they will fail 1/6 of the time. So this means on average you will fail your 3rd or 4th dodge, right? Coaches tend to forget this. So, you need to realise this as you prepare your drive. Even though Elves dodge, sometimes it's better to block your way out.

Overall though, it sounds like you're losing the positional war. Make sure players are moving somewhere for a reason. 'To outflank' is a good verb to add to your arsenal.
two_larsens

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks so much, everyone, for the advice and the article - all great. I will work on applying all this Smile
the.tok

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2015 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

also quick tips : depending on your opponent, you are usually more mobile, so try to position in such a way that they cannot mark all of your players.

Also, sometimes, a player that dodges can be used as an assist that will allow another elf do block 2dice instead of dodging, see what I mean?

Other times, a chain push can free 2 players with one block, etc Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2015 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

BB2 strategies seem to be to make a cage no matter where you are on the pitch, and run one or two guys down the field as suicide sacrifices. Everyone else sort of clusters up around the cage, also for reasons totally unknown.

If your team has the speed and AG advantage then that's precisely what you don't want to do.

You want to work a screen game, not a cage game, you only cage when necessary, not just because you can. Screen doesn't even mean just screening the ball, though you do want to do this, it means screening off other players, or parts of the pitch such that you always have space to maneuver into.

The typical BB2 play sees elfs cage on a side line with extra elfs also in that area, no doubt then it's trivial for the defense to mark you and push you into a really bad spot. Worse you left 2 guys alone running down the pitch for no particular reason either.

But yes, play on fumbbl or watch some fumbbl elf games. You don't learn much playing or watching BB2 unless you are getting jimmy or sage.
 Jump to: