70 coaches online • Server time: 21:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Beasts of Lustria

If you have ever faced the mighty Lizardmen in battle, you will know that the infantry pale in comparison to the giant lizardbeasts that roam the battlefield.

Yet training of the Beasts themselves is quite arduous. They are captured when they are very young and their handlers start training them straight away. Making them follow directions in some lush garden is one thing. Keeping them under control when they're first exposed to the the mayhem of battle is entirely another – training is forgotten and handlers commands are lost in the din of war.

Skinks that are too badly wounded to serve in battle tend to be the ones that trained up the infant Warbeasts. Despite their wounds, they can still serve the Old Ones in this way. It is a calling that is fraught with danger – a young Carnosaur can easily overpower a skink. But even with all their time and dedication, what use is a beast that behaves on the parade ground, but runs amok in the mayhem of battle? How can it be acclimatized to the sounds of steel crunching steel, the screams of the wounded, and the clank of war machines? How can it be gently introduced to the smell of gunpowder smoke and and to the scent of blood in its nostrils?

This conundrum dogged the skink trainers until finally, the Mighty Slann Mage Priest, Kowch'pota'to made a pronouncement on the matter. In hindsight, the answer was obvious:

The monsters-in-training were to be entered in the Stunty Leeg.

0-8 Re-roll counters: 60 gold pieces each (120 after team creation)
Star Players available for Inducement: Fumlig da Venomuz Spida (100g), Lorebass (125g), Quoloth the Fierce (130g), Karazara the Relentless (135g), Shadow (160g), Gong the Giant Gorilla (210g), Cusimano the Gentle Giant (280g)

---

Skink Trainers
Once glorious skinks that have been too injured to take up the battlefield are tasked with raising the very young Beasts. When the Kowch'pota'to made his pronouncement they all readily welcomed the idea, until they realised that they would be required to occupy the field with their unpredictable charges. Nevertheless what a great Slann commands is what he gets, so reluctantly they took to the field. Slower and more injured than your average skink, they do their best with what they have. Favourite past times include: arguing about who has to mind the Carnosaur, drawing straws to decide who has to mind the Carnosaur, and cheating at straws.

---

Skinks
Skinks are a common sight on the stunty field. They generally stick to their own teams, however in every Beasts of Lustria side there are some fit and healthy skinks that play. This can be for various reasons, not making the Lizardman side in normal blood bowl, then not making the Skink side in stunty, then figuring 'why not?' They are faster than anyone else in the side, and they can generally play a whole game whereas the trainers need frequent visits to the bench.

---

Terradon

Terradons majestically soar over the battlefield, dropping rocks on their enemies and carrying skinks into battle. How they are on the battlefield is one thing, how they are on a few seasons from hatching is quite another. They are small, somewhat dim and not yet strong enough to fly further than a short hop. On the Stunty league field they are notoriously unreliable, but they are fan favourites because of their hilarious ungainliness. Despite being too weak to carry the ball, they are fast and quite hard to tackle. However, where they really shine is their ability to use their innate hunting skills to fly from behind and pull up the ball carrier (so to speak).

---

Bastiladon

Tough, hardy and basically immobile, young Bastiladons are a sight to behold. Their massive armour plates are extremely strong, yet they are quite good natured beasts. Very docile, their trainers generally have a hard time getting them to concentrate and adopt an appropriate position on the field. Too often they spot something that is of more interest than the mayhem next to them, such as a large cloud, a butterfly, or a nice piece of grass. Opposition fans are notorious for trying to exploit this, often bringing pretty coloured banners to wave in the hopes of getting their attention.

---

Stegodon

Stegodons as juveniles are nearly the polar opposite of the docile and half witted Bastiladon. They ferociously defend what they perceive to be their territory, which within the context of Stunty Leeg includes the entire pitch area, the bleachers, the home team dugout, the away team dugout, and, of course, the half time oranges. They are particularly possessive of the ball, which they seem to think is a stolen stegadon egg. Opposition teams who infringe the stegadon's perceived property can expect to be gouged, gored, stomped, trampled, chewed, barged, crushed, and tossed - probably simultaneously.

---

Carnosaur

A Carnosaur is a terrifying sight to behold. They are tall, strong, heavily scaled, and have a beastly roar. They grow very quickly into the giant warbeasts the old blood Saurus ride on, as a consequence the young beasts have an unquenchable appetite. They are marvellous when put to work on the opposition, however, they are equally as likely to eat anything else within range - their own trainers, the other beasts, the coaching staff, the referee. They introduce a complete randomness into the side, and when you compete in a league with goblins and gnomes, that is saying something. The giant dinosaurs are a massive favourite with the bloodthirsty crowd – that being said, large sections of the crowd have been lost to rampaging Carnosaurs, so the level of enthusiasm of the crowd depends on which direction the Carnosaur is currently facing.

---

Did you know?

If you ever wondered 'who would win in a fight between a Stegodon and a Carnosaur' the answer was resolved during a particularly heated finals game the Lustrian Legion were involved in. The Carnosaur “Bitey” decided to snack on the Stegodon “Charger” in the second half. Charger didn't take too well to that, and suddenly it was on in the middle. The trainers tried to separate them which somehow led to an all-in-brawl. That is, apart from the gnome side they were playing, who didn't do much apart from run 4 touchdowns, and a rather amused Bastiladon, who seemed to be just as entertained as the crowd was!

---

Designer notes:
Well there is my side, I hope you have enjoyed the read. I am a massive lizardmen fan, and I like to write some fluff stories on Lustria Online. When I started reading about stunty I just had a wave on inspiration and had to get it all down. Thanks to Spawning-of-Bob for all the art and fluff rewrites. It has been designed with fluff foremost in mind, I love the concept of hapless skink trainers running around a blood bowl pitch with these prehistoric dinosaurs desperately trying to control them. I really just enjoyed creating it, so if it never gets played that is fine by me.

In terms of team design, I hope it is balanced but I am certainly open to adjustments. Two things are likely jump out at you. Linemen start with a niggling injury. If that can't be done with team creation, they could have av6. I just thought it was a great synergy with the Carnosaur chomping on them. All players are supposed to be a thrall to the Carnosaur, so I also like the idea of perhaps biting the better players if you want risk it.

The other thing is that the beasts don't have loner. I liked this idea from a fluff concept, they are trying to train them as a squad, the whole side exists for them, so I thought it made sense. I did wonder if it would make them too good, but I am hoping that will be balanced by the mass no hands, mass nega traits, and relatively low G access. I could certainly see adjustments being needed like the strength going down for the stegodon, or the carnosaur going down in AV, but it didn't fit the fluff, and since I doubt anyone would play it, I wanted to keep it how it is. I really wanted to give the Carnosaur 2xblood lusts, so he would have to roll two dice. I wondered how the client would handle it, and since strict rule of “no custom skills” I decided to forget it. The reverse might be true too, mass niggling injury and mass no hands, apart from two humble skinks, might make the side too poor. I really wanted to put prehensile tail on all of the beasts, so that would be a fluff-based improvement I could suggest. Or upping the amount of normal skinks allowed, maybe G access for the terradon.

Anyway, hope the side makes you smile. Seriously, who wouldn't want to see a Carnosaur playing Blood Bowl?

Even with a busy schedule of cosmic contemplations, Lord Kowch'pota'to still enjoys streaming the occasional live game off the Geomantic Web.​

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
suttbutt

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it, would play 10/10

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Good read and interesting roster! Great images! Different roster style to others.

What is the Terradon's purpose?

Carnosaur definitely needs nega traits.

The skinks and skink trainers are cheap?

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

stunty+niggle... they must injure themselves shaving, or falling onto cushions...

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, and LOVE the pictures sir! well done

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

suttbutt wrote:
I like it, would play 10/10

Thank you!

garyt1 wrote:
Good read and interesting roster! Great images! Different roster style to others.

What is the Terradon's purpose?

Carnosaur definitely needs nega traits.

The skinks and skink trainers are cheap?

Thank you very much.

I don't know about the Terradon, his stats fitted the flavour and I figured the coaches would figure him out. I guess I would imagine:
- emergency sweeper
- an assist that could get anywhere
- with doubles, guard or diving tackle would make him intereting
- perhaps working in tandem with the carnosaur? something to snack on?

I would consider Blood Lust to be a fairly nega-trait. You may well be right, obviously I have not play tested this at all.

Skink Trainers are the same stat lines as Forrest Goblins for the price, +1AV, +niggle which I figured would balance out (and minus right stuff).

The Skinks are the same price they are on the skink teams, that that should be right?

pythrr wrote:
stunty+niggle... they must injure themselves shaving, or falling onto cushions...

Yup!

pythrr wrote:
oh, and LOVE the pictures sir! well done

Well thanks, but that was Spawning-of-Bob who did all the work, his stuff is very good. He does quite a bit of stuff in the fluff section of Lustria online.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Your stegadon is actually a triceratops.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
Your stegadon is actually a triceratops.

You can blame GW for that one. Though recently it's somewhere between the 2.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I didn't notice bloodlust. Can he eat all skinks and trainers?

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic stuff, Champ. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

That team and history makes me want to start playing stunty!
Crook666

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

good idea, great fluff and amazing pictures. Well done!
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Love it. Hope to test them soon.

Maybe Carnosaur Break Tackle for getting to skinks if it wants a nibble? Otherwise he could be herded off the pitch quite easily.

Hypnotic Gaze on the Terradon because he's pestering opponents?
PainState

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Very impressive, my hats off to you.

The only change I would make is on the trainers they drop to AV6, lose Niggle and pick up thrall.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2016 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Maybe Carnosaur Break Tackle for getting to skinks if it wants a nibble? Otherwise he could be herded off the pitch quite easily.

I agree with this change also. Nothing will stand in the way of a Carnosuar and his snack.

But then again.

It just makes it important on his first skill up or second to take Break Tackle. Make him skill up to become more effective.