54 coaches online • Server time: 18:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I've run into a slightly odd problem with this team, my (U) DEs.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=4841

Basically, they've been playing at 9 men for quite some time now. (They hire more rookie linos now and again but they never last long). They've gotten quite good at it, too.

The problem I have is that, with a high turnover of rookies, the older players are dominating the team. They don't really hog SPP, they've just been around for so long (my highest SPP player is the only remaining member of the original team) that they've gathered a fair bit of experience.

So I need to trim some stars (and niggles) for the good of the team. Only I can't afford to since I only have 9 players, and can't keep rookies alive long enough to get more. And my TR creeps steadily higher...

So, any advice besides the obvious "sack the nigglers" would be appreciated. Has anybody tried cutting back to 6 or 7 players and had it work out?

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:

So, any advice besides the obvious "sack the nigglers" would be appreciated.

That was going to be my advice...Wink

If you want to get the team back into shape, then you have a long road ahead of you. I've cut back to as few as eight players and still done well, but that was with Elves, who are much better at scoring than DE.

Retire Iradel now. He is worth nearly 30 points of TR, he is niggled, and he is likely to age within a few games. Keep buying linemen until you have a full squad, then start retiring the other nigglers. Part of your problem is that you have pretty low FF. Consider getting a MB player the next time that you roll doubles - the extra cas will help boost your FF.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Iradel should go now. As soon as you have the cash, retire the thrower as well and buy a lino instead. Completions will give him 6 spps (and block) soon enough.

And, but it's sad to say that, try to be a little selective in ppl you play. No bashers (obviously) but try to avoid fast runners too. You are very likely to lose an elfbowl game vs skaven or Welfs, and your FF is low enough.

Humans and other DE will be good choices. Maybe some Amazons, too.

Other that this... well... sack the nigglers is always a good advice. Wink

EDIT: oh... just don't give handicaps away. Virus will kill you. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Iradel should go now.

Yeah, you guys are probably right on that one. Will be a shame though, I've gotten quite attached to the old guy. And I never retired a captain before, they usually die on the field...

Quote:
And, but it's sad to say that, try to be a little selective in ppl you play. No bashers (obviously) but try to avoid fast runners too. You are very likely to lose an elfbowl game vs skaven or Welfs, and your FF is low enough.

Ah yes, see, I have something of a blind spot for bashers. I can quite happily avoid them for all of a couple of minutes lfg, and then I just don't see that oncoming orc team, and it's all over...

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i have a very...very... VERY strict policy concerning injuries... i sacked nearly every player on my skaven team (i had 5 players left) and played on (a whopping 80 tr and 80 tstr) and now they're happy and nigh healthy... and i even won with 5 rats *evil grin*

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think maybe I need to simplify my team's history & stats, it just took me 10 minutes to retire my captain, purely from all the stuff I had to update first. Might have to wait a while before doing the next one, or I could wear myself out.

And Dreadclaw's post gives me hope for the (very far) future...

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:
JanMattys wrote:

Ah yes, see, I have something of a blind spot for bashers. I can quite happily avoid them for all of a couple of minutes lfg, and then I just don't see that oncoming orc team, and it's all over...

My Humans are injury free and always fight for survival in Ranked. And they play all races except Dwarfs (Orcs are among my favourites). My suggestion had probably a flaw: I meant "at the moment" be a little more selective. Sadly, any long-term team recovery needs softer challenges to have some chance of success...

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

How about trim the team to 4 players (no 1, 2, 16 and either 7 or 14) and play in Just 4 Fun for a while where you will most likely kick botty and horde all your cash for a team revival in the hopefully near future.

Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had a chaos team down to four players, they got back up to 11 and have since been shot down to 9 again, expect to lose. Its a long road but if your team has history its all worth it in the end. Only diff is that those chaos are in ranked, heh.
 Jump to: