40 coaches online • Server time: 12:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Now what?
Dauntless
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Pro
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Tackle
29%
 29%  [ 11 ]
Wrestle
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Blood Pudding
29%
 29%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 37

ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

w8lifter wrote:

Again politeness escapes you.

Am I missing something in the long term League rules? I see a team that has played more games than the typical Ranked team does so exactly HOW is playing a League team with the following stat line for games different than Ranked?

Games Played: 160 (79/32/49)

That's 160 games played.

Anything past about 20 games means that you must maximize each position's value to the team and having a 3 skill DP means that the player has either 1 skill that doesn't help them with their main job as a positional player or two skills that don't help them as a fouler.

I've explained the reasoning behind my suggestions and yet all you can do is respond to my posts with rudeness. How about stepping up and providing some logic as to why a long term league team with 160 games played is managed differently than a team in ranked?

Because unlike a ranked team, he knows exactly who his opponents will be, the skills they will have, when he will face them, and the directions in which they are likely to skill themselves. It is also possible to have a specific inducement strategy for each game. Even if all you do is pick in ranked, you don't have that level of foresight, even if you have a level of control.

What you don't have room for in a league is continual retirement of players to trim tv - because it costs a hell of a lot less to the team to carry an extra skill on a lino than it does to induce a mercenary with the same skill. You would only do this if the rest of the league conforms to a min-max ideology... which most long-running leagues do not, for a multitude of reasons, including because it is completely ineffective when there is no such thing as a recovery game mid-season. (This is ignoring things such as league drafts and all sorts of conditions that may exist around the purchasing and firing of players).

The sweetspot for your league therefore depends not just on the race of your team, or your coaching style, but on the rest of the league.

In ranked you are artificially reducing your tv by retiring healthy players so that you continually are in a matching range with teams that are, you hope , of similar skill makeup, or lesser ability (the same is true in box). In a league? Doesn't matter. Your next opponent is your next opponent. You make skill choices and fire/hire decisions both macro and micro - for the next game, but also on the basis of the season.

If you go look at any of the Norse league teams in the bigger leagues on fumbbl you'll notice they all keep to 1500k+ TV (I believe PeteW's team is in fact, over 2000k TV at the moment. This is not by accident. I would also point out that some of the more successful blackbox and ranked norse teams have also ignored the minmax principles.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually,at the begining he said that 'I don't want to retire him' which is an expression of preference but not an absolute. But yes, he did say, not an option later but unless it's a league where you have to have 11 players and don't have the cash to replace, replacing is always an option if not a preferred course of action. But my later comments were directed at harvestmouse. But thanks to ArrestedDevelopment for taking the time to provide rationale.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 19:36
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

while ArrestedDevelopment makes good points I don't believe any of them are the main reason behind "not an option".
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I know they're not in Balle's case Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy.

Frenzy is awesome.

I dream of a norse team with 11 frenzy. Mmmmm.

But pro also works with dp and I have taken that before.

If you have no kick and a 2nd dp for offense then kick is great.

This is your SWL team in guessing but I'm too lazy to actually look for it.

Tackle is also fine. Not wrestle.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2016 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

w8lifter wrote:
Actually,at the begining he said that 'I don't want to retire him' which is an expression of preference but not an absolute.

But he had clarified that before you chimed in. I'm not sure why you needed to push it.

I do actually agree, I think I would think about retiring him. He's giving away handicaps and SE in his next match.

However, Balle is a multiple champion, he knows his stuff. If he doesn't want to retire him, he knows why. Basically we can't question him on that or derail his thread. So I don't see the need to be polite to you when you Jack Russel the ball/thread and don't let go.

I'm not denying your experience with Norse. I also respect your team has 160 games and a 50% record (shows your picking tough matches). So a skill choice would probably have been greatly appreciated. However trust me Norse in a high TV league is a totally different fish to your 1250TV tailored team. Totally different, mainly for the reasons the very worth listening to Arrested Development suggested.

I'll just add that Norse cannot sustain title challanges. They need off time to rebuild and rebuild a solid core of players that win games. I get the feeling that as Balle is middle of the table of the 2nd division with a lot of bloat he's not looking to go to the premier. If it happens it happens of course but basically he doesn't have a team to challenge for the title if he went up and in the long run it will be detrimental to the run he plans to go in a few seasons with a transfored team (like his Tottenham).

There's a lot of future planning with the brittle AV7 high TV big league teams. A lot of planning. erikekers was the master of this. He won WIL and multiple SWL titles with AV7 teams partly due to his exceptional planning for title pushes.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

w8lifter wrote:
Actually,at the begining he said that 'I don't want to retire him' which is an expression of preference but not an absolute.

It is absolute.

This is the 5th time I say it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their helpful additions to this thread.
Bobs

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Diving Catch.
You know you need it

ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 03:48
FUMBBL Staff

you've been hanging around with elves too long Bobs. Diving Catch is not a normal skill.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

As a side note (not to derail the thread - rather that most that posted here are interested in Norse builds)... my buddy and league mate, Relezite, has quite the Norse team built for our upcoming season. 2700+ in TV. I think he has created a new eschelon which from here on out will be referred to as "Maxmax'ing"
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:14
FUMBBL Staff

first 5 games against all snotling teams. NBFL looks like tough league Razz
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
first 5 games against all snotling teams. NBFL looks like tough league Razz

Those are builders to assign SPP to drafted players. Imperfect system until we get the ability to directly assign SPP to players in League. Teams build their draftee to the level he was drafted at, and anyone else they want to hire up to 6 SPP. Makes for some big builds to start the season Smile
Bobs

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
you've been hanging around with elves too long Bobs. Diving Catch is not a normal skill.

Yeah chop I'm his next opponent so anything that hurts me less is good. How about kick, kick is good.

Jump to: