45 coaches online • Server time: 16:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fidius

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Under CRP a foul carries a 1/6 chance of sendoff if it fails, 30.6% if it breaks armour. What's always bothered me is that the chance is the same whether one guy sticks in the boot in the backfield, or a swarm of players surrounds the victim for the gang pile-on.

Instead, what if we had an extra diceroll for the Ref, which is "sendoff on a modified 0 (or natural 1)". Each assist on the foul gets a -1 to the Ref roll. Sneaky Git then gives you a reroll on the Ref's d6. Get The Ref! becomes +2 to all Ref rolls for the drive.

The result would be 1/6 chance of getting caught with 0-1 assist, 2 assists = 33%, 3=50%, etc. SG would dramatically improve these numbers. Obviously it nerfs the gangfoul, which isn't great, but suits the fluff better. Insulates high-AV players from fouls, which sucks. Dirty Player gets slightly better as you don't need as many assists to have a good chance to break armour. SG becomes valuable. I would probably add another skill (Stick The Boot In) that treats all fouling victims as AV7, which would be a doubles skillup for most players, but normal for the likes of Goblins and Snots, etc.

Anyway the point being to add more fluff to the sendoff roll, and turn fouling into a bit more of an art form with skillups that actually mean something.

Open to ideas...
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a nice idea from a fluff point of view but technically would make fouls less of a strategic trade-off.

It would completely discourage gangfouls as you could essentially do almost riskless fouls with no assists and encourage a style of play that fouls just pretty much whenever.
It would be pointless to ever abandon positional play for a foul and setting up a gangfoul would be a pure act of desperation.

Fluffwise I'd like to point to another thing tho:
When I think of actual sports like rugby I noticed two things about how the referee operates:
1. His focus is mainly at the general area of where the ball is at.
2. There is no such thing as a gangfoul but nobody sees you using an ellbow or a foot when you are in the middle of a crowd.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, fouls are nerfed enough as it is

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. Fouls are pretty close to perfect and do their job in keeping pombers at least somewhat thinking about consequences.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Stick the boot in sounds like a universal skill. I would happily give it to everyone just to smash orcs and dwarves and the like. I mean, not ME, but people who like to win.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if gangfouls are that much of a trade off. In the sense that they are used normally when one does not care about the oppo scoring at that point or they can't score. If one even has one player out of place that can be too much out of position. I think gangfouls need more support rather than less if anything.

Maybe having the assists help on the injury table or something as well as the armour breaks. Like 3 asssits is plus 1 and 5 assists is plus 2 and 7 is plus 3?

DLE College 7s
delusional

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Tweak Gangfouls. Each player assists in distracting the referee not assists in the foul. Hence fouls become a risky option unless you surround the player being fouled.
fidius

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

All great points, thanks guys. Seems like the concept is out of whack with the strategy, unless somehow the gangfoul gets some love as MC says.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2016 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Change the fouling rule so it is only doubles on the Armour roll for an ejection. Also makes Sneaky Git (slightly) better.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2016 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The actual problem with fouls right now is that once you have removed almost all of the other team from the pitch by CPOMB, your dirty players can very easily remove the rest at no real cost because you have such a large numbers advantage already.

Stunties or Elves gang fouling some TPOMBer who chased a valuable target too far from his team mates and piled on is not a problem with the game, and does not need "fixed". It already works rather poorly.

If one was to fix fouling, it should be easier when your team is low on numbers, and harder when their team is low on numbers, and certainly not the other way around! Apostrophe! For reals! Like fidius there, wanting the CPOMB/DP-spam pitch clear strategy to be even easier.