57 coaches online • Server time: 21:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Reisender

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

overall rating will usually be higher than both B and R rating for coaches over 150 (aprox.), lower for those under 150

an example: Imagine a rating environmetn with only two new coaches Tharolf and Noobjoe

1) They start both with 150 in all ratings

2) Tharolf wins a ramked match vs Noobjoe, ratings change (example) to:
Tharolf [R] 151 [b] 150 [Overall] 151
Noobjoe [R] 149 [b] 150 [Overall] 149

3) Tharolf wins a Balckbox match vs Noobjoe, ratings change to
Tharolf [R] 151 [b] 151 [Overall] 151.7
Noobjoe [R] 149 [b] 149 [Overall] 148.3

4) if tharolf continues to win vs noobjoe, his overall rating will always be higher than his R and B ratings...

EDIT: Or see the link to a better explanation from christer himself below Very Happy

Last edited by Reisender on %b %17, %2016 - %01:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
Spence

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

Unless the Overall rating takes other factors than B and R ratings, something's amiss.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=615216#615216
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The rankings are not compareable. Racial rankings aren't either. You can just look at them within their own cosmos.

Your blackbox ranking is currently so low because you are on (60) 4/4/2. Meaning you played only very few games.
This is also why your main page only shows ranked games. Basically your box performance had very little impact on your overall CR due to few games.

For simplicities sake let me put it like this: As long as you keep winnig, the more you play your ranking will grow. Your performance in box and ranked was above average and your CR is still currently low enough to get carried up based on that. So your recent box games you did well in pushed you further above.

That is the one thing but that is not the reason why you cant compare these values. Basically that your overall CR is higher than your ranked CR could also mean a number of other things:
Perhaps the opponents you beat had a higher overall ranking /lower ranked ranking or the opponents you lost to had initally a lower overall ranking and a higher ranked ranking. Or your own rankings were different. And so on.

Although CR is massively influenced by recent performances, you'll rarely ever drop or gain more than 2 points. On the other hand favorable matchups can make you gain almost nothing. So within these constrains rapid alterations are limited. Any rating category you have weights against an own individual opponent rating. Sometimes as in racial ranking they are not even part of the same category. So numbers can get very obscure. But I guess the main reason why overall ranking is mostly the highest /lowest is because it really just accumulates the most games.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Bazakastine wrote:
If you play a great ranked coach in box who almost never plays box and so has an average rating your overall rank will increase more then your blackbox will because it sees a legend overall but only an "average" box coach.

That would explain why the B and the R ratings can differ. I don't think it can explain why the Overall rating is bigger than the two ratings on which I assume it's based.

The only hypothesis is that the Overall rating has its own sytem, and that there are three independent rating systems.

One way that B ratings could get deflated would be with a clause like this one:

Quote:
As of March 4, 2007, both teams playing a match need to have played at least 4 matches for it to be used for ranking purposes.

https://fumbbl.com/help:Ranking

It's not clear to what the "it" refers: I suppose it's the racial modifier, which is that dictionary:

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=rankings

(Clarifying this data structure might help.)

Since my B teams haven't played 4 games, this means my rating hasn't been calculated with a racial factor.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that settles it:

Big C wrote:
Effectively, this comes down to the fact that the different rankings are separate. The overall ranking is NOT a combination of your other rankings, but a completely separate system.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=615216#615216

Thanks!

Are the Help files like a Wiki that Fumbblers can edit?
Reisender

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

good....

Reisender wrote:
However, it is not combined by 1/2[R] x 1/2 [B], but an independent ranking that takes into account all the games in B and R you play.

thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Now going back to my original question: the ratings that we see in the games reports and the one I see on my Home page.

Looking at my Rankings page, it seems that the ratings on the games reports are the Combined ratings calculated after the game has been played, while the rating on my Home page is my Ranked rating.

Mystery solved!

Thanks!
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Every game at least 5 coach rankings are updated, as coach you have at least 49 rankings... dont try to take averages, look at them as individuals.

one overall
one for each division
one for each race
one for each race per division

I think there is a page that shows them all... burried some where in all my bookmarks...

In the end, does it really matter? Do your best, win more, CR goes up.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I think there is a page that shows them all... burried some where in all my bookmarks...

Home > More > Rankings
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

There you go... got so many secret bookmarks that I forget which ones are available to the public.
 Jump to: