25 coaches online • Server time: 01:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I'm thinking of taking Shadowing on one of my Gutter Runners, because it looks like it would be a fun skill and great with MA9. However, reading through the forum, it seems like there have been some bugs with it, so I'm just wondering what the current situation is - whether these bugs are still present?

- Firstly, there's a bug report here that Harvestmouse posted a couple of years back about a bug where, if you use Shadowing to shadow a player while they are blitzing, they can't actually make a block during the blitz (even if the Shadowing attempt fails). This obviously sounds like a fairly sucky bug. If this is still present, then was there ever a clear ruling on site policy relating to it?

- Second, I've heard of a bug with Shadowing and Sidestep, where if a Shadowing player sidesteps a block, then tries to shadow into the square the blocking player just vacated, the client will crash. If this one is still present, then, if the block is part of a blitz action, can the shadower still shadow the blitzer after the block, if they don't move into the square the blitzer vacated?

I'd really like to know if these are still issues, before I take the skill. Especially if the first one still is, then I might just skip Shadowing for something else (e.g. Diving Tackle).

Thanks!

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz

Last edited by JellyBelly on %b %05, %2016 - %03:%May; edited 1 time in total
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the idea of a shadowing gutter runner with tackle and diving tackle, but have always found a better role for them. I'll be curious how it works out for you.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Second bug still exists. If you don't sidestep, then it's fine.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Bug still exists, but is really not too bad if you remember it and avoid it. I love my shadowing MA10 GR. Funny seeing 12-14+ escape rolls. Essentially any player that is not fast is automatically tailed.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

@ DarthPhysicist: well, I wasn't planning on giving him Shadowing and Diving Tackle, as that would be kind of redundant Smile (Shadowing, Sidestep & Prehensile Tail though, could be pretty sweet ..)

@Semitence: ok, but what if you sidestep the block, but don't shadow into the blitzer's vacated square? Can you then still shadow the rest of their movement without crashing?

Last edited by JellyBelly on %b %05, %2016 - %03:%May; edited 1 time in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi WhatBall, that does sound like a lot of fun! Smile Sorry, do you mean that both bugs are still present, including the one where a blitzer being shadowed can't block?

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The bug regarding me. I'm not sure whether it exists anymore........I did know but I have forgotten. That was on an older version of this client and it was something we tried to test. The problem was so few got involved in testing.

There was an official ruling. You play as the client, so if you lost your blitz, you lost your blitz.

I think IIRC Kryten worked out that it was because the blitzer was doing things too quickly. I.e. doing certain actions before the client could catch up. So if you see/saw this bug then remind your opponent to be deliberate and methodical when blitzing with a shadow in tow.

Something like the blitzer was choosing to move to the next square before the client and applied the results of the shadowing....something like that.

And yes as everybody else has said, the second one definitely still exists.
Semitence

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
@Semitence: ok, but what if you sidestep the block, but don't shadow into the blitzer's vacated square? Can you then still shadow the rest of their movement without crashing?

As far as I am aware the bug only occurs on the sequence of push, SS, follow-up, shadow=success within a single block. The example you gave should be fine.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The first bug is resolved to the best of my knowledge.

The second one I have detailed here.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 04:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I just did a quick test of it myself. As you say WhatBall, the first one seems to be resolved - I tried it on several blitzes and wasn't able to replicate it. The second one with sidestep I was able to replicate; however, what Semitence says seems to be correct: if your shadow/sidestepper gets blitzed, as long as you don't shadow into the square they were in when they made the block, then you can shadow the rest of their movement after the block and there seems to be no bug.

Sweet! Shadowing rats, here we come! Thank you all for your help! Smile

WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the bug is to be blocked, SS the block, Blocker follows, then if you shadow into their starting spot you freeze the game and it is irretrievable.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
@ DarthPhysicist: well, I wasn't planning on giving him Shadowing and Diving Tackle, as that would be kind of redundant Smile (Shadowing, Sidestep & Prehensile Tail though, could be pretty sweet ..)

Quite. My mistake. As I said, I never really did it cause I was always making them for ball sacking or retrieval. Its like a pass block gutter runner with leap and very long legs. Never done it but I like the way it sounds.
 Jump to: