37 coaches online • Server time: 11:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Skill parity or not?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

thErgonomic

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

So here I'm thinking about how I should build my Dark Elf Runners.
Should I pick the same base skills for both of them to maximize the effectiveness of Dump-Off as in:
Pass, Nerves of Steel, Dodge, Catch, Block
Or should the other be designed to be more of a backfield thrower with Safe Throw, Accurate and such?
thoralf

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll lose the one you like the most first. Let the second one emulate him.

They're runners, BTW. Run, baby, run!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need a Runner, but if you want to use him, one is fine.

I would build the Runner with Block, Dodge, Sure Hands, Pass if you want to have an emergency pass option, or Block, Dodge, Sure Hands, Side Step if you want a more "classic" Runner.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %05, %2016 - %14:%May; edited 2 times in total
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, I've found dump-off to be a better skill for a running team.
I'd probably build him as a ball carrier, and treat dump-off as an emergency ball relocation skill if you expect a hit on your runner.

Then again, I only ever have one runner on a team, and my current runner has +MA and +ST
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont build much on dump off. But you can find useful occassionally. I would recommend building one with heavy protection, like dodge and block as priority, and you could start with sure hands and or pass with the other. Pass is probably not the strongest choice, but i like it emotionally, and got me "out of jail" a few times. Mind that leader is a good choice on one of them. Some people takes leader on them, and for precisely that use only.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're planning on "maximising" dump off then wrestle instead of block? Assuming you'd be dumping off every time he's going to take a hit then that makes more sense.

But I'd echo what everyone else has said, dump off in case of emergency but building him primarily as ball carrier is best - dodge, block, sure hands etc.

If you wanted a mix of styles and were determined to take two, then just take NoS on both of them. Don't bother with pass, accurate, catch etc. With just NoS, you'll make a successful dump off ~80% of the time. Pass and catch improve the odds but as the odds are so good already, the benefit isn't worth taking up a skill slot IMO. Plus you don't really want the guy to be getting hit anyway so I'd be surprised if you used dump off once a game.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I have always thought about using and building a DE Runner to be more like a Catcher.
So maybe build 1 as a Thrower and 1 as a Catcher.
Or maybe build 1 as mainly an Offensive Scoring Machine and build the other for Defense... maybe his role could be mainly picking up loose balls and getting them to safety idk.

My main DE team has been rolling lots of Doubles that I have used on Guard and Mighty Blow. I am mainly using them as a Human team with AG4.
icesmooth

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

DE is by far my favorite race and I use runners on 50% or so of my DE team builds.

Frankly it depends on the make up of the league or if the build is here on FUMBBL, is it in the box or ranked division.

With heavy bash opponents I like to use a runner and build him as a passer type with Pass, Surehands, Accurate. Dump off becomes quite useful against bashers here as a very loose cage can give them all kinds of fits. Also I find against the cheeser kill stack teams I want a passer that way my team is a threat for a quick counter score because I can bomb it past them even if my numbers have been dwindled extensively.

Again I know a lot of this is swimming against the current but I find my runners rarely, if ever, get blocked with my play style.
licker

Post   Posted: May 05, 2016 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see the argument for the value a skilled runner will add when you are at a high TV.

I can't see the argument for the value he adds while you are getting there though.

If you do use one, I thin you have to go the blodge/sh routine and then add your P skills later, because if you start with the P skills I don't see him living to add the others later.

Of course, you can get lucky with cas rolls and what not, or you can pick in R, or you can play in a league which is more accommodating to AV7 or drafting players or whatnot. But the odds simply suggest that an AV7 player who delays taking defensive skills is not likely to last that long.

Especially if you are using him aggressively on offense to take advantage of dump off, then he is getting hit a lot more than he would otherwise be getting hit.
 Jump to: