48 coaches online • Server time: 19:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should Kick add +1 to AV break roll?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 53 ]
Pie
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 77

BlodgeyDocker

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, punting is a nice idea.

Conflating kicking, fouling and some kind of kick related blocking is a little silly no? They are very different skill sets. A footballer who takes a good free kick is not necessarily a great tackler etc, etc.... It seems like kicking boots card is influencing people's position.

There is certainly no need to buff kick. There is definitely room for punt/kickers though.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:
Hi all,
late to the party. Hopefully the thread isn't completely dead.
I love the thought of kickers in BB. I've come up with a handful of skills that could add kickers to BB without adding actual kicking rules. The kickers would be restricted to kick-offs and punting.

Their main use would no doubt be to make recovering kick-offs more difficult. This would mess with slow bashy/grindy teams, but would also make faster 2-turn offenses harder, and make 1-turn-scoring harder/impossible.

Let me know what you think Smile

First, as suggested in this thread, I'd merge Kick with another skill. But that skill would be HMP - which is not really used by throwers anyway, and quite elegantly emulates a punt. So:
(PS, the write-up is in shorthand, you get the idea I hope):

1. Kick (G): The player may use the team's Pass Action to Punt the ball. If the player is holding the ball at the end of his action, you may roll a d6. On a 1, the ball is fumbled. On a 2+ you may place the ball anywhere on thr pitch and roll for distance and direction as you would during a kick-off. Even if the ball is caught this results in a turnover.

Also, when this player kicks the ball (as a punt or during a kick-off) you may choose to halve the number of Squares that the ball scatters, rounding fractions down.

2. Accurate Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may place the Throw-In Template facing towards either sideline/endzone - and then use this placement for all scatter and bounce rolls until the ball has come to rest.

3. High Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), roll for scatter as normal, but the ball does not land/bounce until the end of the opposing team's next turn.

4. Squib Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may choose - before rolling for scatter - to make it a squib kick. In this case, a -1 modifier applies to all catch and pick-up rolls, until the ball has been succesfully recovered by a player from either team or has been thrown in by the crowd.

5. Dirty Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill.
Whenever this player does a foul and does not break armor, the victim of the foul is still stunned.

(I made Dirty Kick a fouling skill, rather than make it something a leaping wardancer could use).

Cheers
Martin

I like it. Not sure how many people would take these, but they aren't game breaking. You can already "punt" if you just pass to an open square (which any thrower can do with HMP anyway), so I'm not sure this skill would see much use. However, imagine a bombardier who manages a couple of these... *shiver*
Bloodfeast

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not, remove the DP and divide it til both kick and sneaky git?

kick gets the ordinary kickskill + DP!
and
Sneaky git gets the ordinary + DP!

it is to Little fouling in blood bowl these Days Smile

Post   Posted: May 29, 2016 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

leave kick alone

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What if we make Kick like Multi-Block. But for fouling!

Why have one T-16 foul when you can have two!

Last edited by Silent_Hastati on Jul 06, 2016 - 13:35; edited 1 time in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't quite like the "level 2" kind of skills only for kick.

Either you change the whole skill system to be able to get a level 2 skill of any kind, or don't use it altogether. There was recently a proposal for Mighty Blow II only available to Big Guys, for instance.

Anyway, I don't see the level 2 kick skills add that much value to fill a skill slot comparing to other skills, specially if we still move in the flat skill cost paradigm.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Combine Kick and DP into the same skill. Also PassBlock and KoR. And FA and Dist P. You're welcome.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

@Zakatan: It wasn't my preferred way of doing it. But it felt less intrusive than adding an actual skill category. And a kicking positional on multiple team.

A roundabout way of getting Things to be the same would be to have a sort of weak skill in each category give access to that category permanently for the player.
Kick = K-skills.
Pass = P-skills.
as for the rest....?

BTW - you consider none of the suggested kicking skills worth taking?

@JimmyFantastic:
FA + DistP, absolutely.
PB and KoR.... Maybe. They are thematically linked, and both benefit from comboing with Catch. Still, there is not a lot of synergy. Would you take it if you could?
Kick+DP - I get the theme - but I don't think it is a good match. Getting your kicker sent off would kind of defeat having a kicker...
IMO.

Cheers
Martin
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:

BTW - you consider none of the suggested kicking skills worth taking?

Aside from high kick, which is gamebraking, nope. The others are too situational to be useful.

I haven't really thought how they interact with this new hail mary pass fusion thingy, but it's not something you'll use often anyway. Maybe for the Four Nations roster Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If kick gets a buff, which I think it does need, it should just let you place the ball where you want, and then it bounces the 1 square after landing on the field. And then bad kick would just be 1d6 scatter before the bounce.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

BlodgeyDocker wrote:
Yeah, punting is a nice idea.

Well, we already have the punt skill. It is called Hail Mary Pass.

What? you do not take that skill? I do on at least one thrower on every team I can.

AG4/Leap/Pick up the ball, PUNT on a 2+ to any square, since you are a smart coach it is on your thrower who has pass...so only a 1/36 chance of failure.

Oh, did I fail to mention HMP is a straight up 2+ roll, no negatives for anything on the roll?

Only Blizzard messes with HMP.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

there's a lot of skills that need buffs (or just nerfs to the too good ones). This doesn't seem like a good way to address it though.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin wrote:
there's a lot of skills that need buffs (or just nerfs to the too good ones). This doesn't seem like a good way to address it though.

I agree because no matter what is said will never be implemented.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted yes because I like the fluff.

As always Jimmy is right yet again.

Perfect way to buff kick tho, for me, would be to just cancel the high kick result if the kicking player has the kick skill.
I mean, all that guy has to do is kick the freaking ball! High kick makes the skill completely useless.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2016 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:

Perfect way to buff kick tho, for me, would be to just cancel the high kick result if the kicking player has the kick skill.
I mean, all that guy has to do is kick the freaking ball! High kick makes the skill completely useless.

This makes perfect sense to me and cannot be game breaking in any way. I love it.
 Jump to: