37 coaches online • Server time: 16:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi gang,

As many of you know, there is a new BB box on the way (anyone reading surprised at that, this is a good summary of what we know). My hope is that when the box drops, FUMBBL will benefit from all of the hype, the new and returning coaches coming into the game, and our numbers will increase in line with the general BB upswing.

If we get a large number of new coaches come check FUMBBL out, we want to be as helpful as possible and show our best face, making a great first impression. Let’s be honest, we have some online BB competition that we might lose out to! We (as general FUMBBLists) can all do our bit; the user guide is a Wiki, and anyone can edit it.

I guess what I’m asking is; what (if anything) can we do to update the user guide and make it as simple and easy as possible for a new coach to understand what FUMBBL is, why we’re great and how they can get playing the game?

This customisable roster stuff was the inspiration for me starting this thread. It’s brilliant, but it’s new and actually (even for an old hand like me), it is quickly going to get properly confusing. What leagues are recruiting? What rules are they using? Why are they unique? What are the formats available? As a new coach, how do you work out what league to join? Wait for an advertising blog, scour the forum? I would think a simple Wiki page would be pretty helpful. I'm aware that something for current leagues exists, but I don't know how current it is, and obviously it's yet to incorporate any of the new functionality. Perhaps something like this might work:

Name / Timezone / # Coaches / Ruleset / Notes / Contact

Whilst that was the starting point of my thinking, I’m sure that there are a few areas of the UG that we (as a collective) can clean up and add to / improve. It might be that those of us that have tinkered before are a bit too close to it and have been around for so long that they can’t see what is missing or what can be brushed up. Any input from new coaches would be most welcome!

I guess I’ll make a list in this post if the topic goes anywhere. We have ~ 6 months before the new box, so it’s not like anything needs doing overnight. Maybe I’m alone in thinking anything perhaps needs doing, and stuff like leagues and customisable leagues is obvious to everyone else? If so, all good, just let the thread die happily. Wink

Possible user guide update list

Leagues (CRP and customised)

Last edited by Purplegoo on Jun 22, 2016 - 10:31; edited 1 time in total
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/help:JoinLeague
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, you'll note I mentioned that, although I did edit a sentence about it I thought might have been confusing. Smile

One of the first things that page does is link the public groups page, which has been described as confusing many times. Who is recruiting, who is active, etc; it's not abundantly clear.

As I say, if what we have is deemed fine (and for instance, that page updated when the customisable stuff settles with something that makes what's going on clear), I'm happy. I just think the timing is good for a review.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, you're probably right.
I've been updating that page with the info I have, but it might be that a lot of leagues there are not active anymore.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps, but who knows? Wink

This absolutely isn't a negative review of the great work people do on the UG, by the way. I think it's a great resource. But this big new thing has happened, and we have a potential influx upon us, just seems a good time to ask the question of what more we can do.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly needs an update, there's nARRy a mention of everyone's favouARRte meta group.

I'm happy to go through and check all of the leagues are still active, as well as add any new ones I can find and remove old ones.

Not sure that's the most effective way of recording if they're recruiting though.

Also we're likely to see a great influx of new leagues with the new rulesets and I imagine a fair few of them will burn bright and short. Should there be a waiting peroiod to add new leagues to the list - to make sure they get established? Or maybe a minimum amount of coaches playing?

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a good question.

I guess the ideal world is one where league commissioners all care enough about the UG to list their own league, and someone is diligent to oversee the page and clean up those that die every so often. In reality, perhaps a 'has been going for > 2 months' waiting period would be a good idea. No one is going to tinker weekly, I wouldn't have thought!

Leagues was my starting point on this, but there may well be other, more fundamental areas that need a spruce?
jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

According to the link at the top of the UG there are 94 groups on the site. A lot of them only have a couple of members or are groups like the Agility Monsters Fan/Hate group or Fill The X Grid, more meta groups than leagues.

I'll make a list of them, check when the games were last played and start a seperate thread when I've done that.

Leagues seems a good starting point, may be more fundamental areas but this is as good a place as any.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the idea a while ago to make a skill description page. I know it not allowed to reproduce the copyrighted descriptions from any GW BB rulebook but I did begin to re-write them in my own words, maybe this would be a good thing to add the the UG because new players might not be familiar with all the skill descriptions, this isnt a major issue tho because they will be included in the new box. BUT there may be differances in some of them, maybe.

Edit: A few examples.

Offical descriptions (or at least from the online wiki)

*Block
    **A player with the Block skill is not Knocked Down on a Both Down Result from a Block action.

*Dauntless
    **If a player with the Dauntless skill attempts to block an opponent who is stronger and they successfully roll higher than the Strength of their opponent (rolling D6 + their strength), they are considered to have the same strength for this block.

*Dirty Player
    **Add 1 to Armor or Injury roll when the player with the Dirty Player skill makes a foul.

*Fend
    **Opposing players may not follow up blocks made against this player, even if the player with Fend is knocked down.

Re-writes.

*Block
    **Block skill prevents the player being knocked down on a Both Down Result.

*Dauntless
    **When players with Dauntless attempt to block a opposing player who's ST is greater than their own, a D6 is rolled and the blocking players ST is added to the D6 result, if the new value is higher than the ST of the opponent, the blocking player temporarily has the same strength during the block.

*Dirty Player
    **When the player with the Dirty Player skill fouls and opposing player, 1 is added to the resulting Armor or Injury roll.

*Fend
    **Fend prevents opposing players following up after they attemt to block a player with the Fend skill, this is true even if the player is knocked down as a result of the block.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Since the rules links are soon to disappear, that may be a good idea. We (obviously) have to steer very clear of anything official GW-y, so wording would be paramount.
Loucyber

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

As a nes (active) member of FUMBBL I want to add my 5 cents to this:

1) FUMBBL is a brilliant site. Tell people so!
I have just started to play BB in my youth on Tabletop, but had to stop after moving and other RL issues. Last year I stumbled across BB1. I got hooked on BB again and tried to find information to improve my play. FUMBBL will be listed if you google almost anything relating to Bloodbowl and strategy.

2) Therefore update some of the race guides. Some are still on an older rulebook level, some seem outdated regarding the development of play. It might be good to update this good stuff.

3) Tell people of the advantages of FUMBBL Online Bloodbowl
- It is free
- It is not as bugged as BB1 and BB2
- It follows the LRB Tabletop rulebook strictly other than Cyanide
- In some ways it is faster gameplay than in the Cyanide game
- Standard of play seems to be much higher (at least compared to the big MM venues of Cyanide).
- A long established community of BB adherents

4) The beginners guides could indeed be made more self-explaining. It is a little confusing to start picking leagues before getting to set up a team etc.. So far I have only played ranked games. If it is the most popular MM venue, mark it so (and maybe get rid of the academy as it seems to be down anyway).

5) This Forum and the explanation on league etc. seems to be a little confusing - at least for me right now as I am trying to read through everything and understand things. But perhaps that is just me being really stupid (and not rolling a 4+...).

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Since the rules links are soon to disappear, that may be a good idea. We (obviously) have to steer very clear of anything official GW-y, so wording would be paramount.

I'll finnish re-writing. Then You or someone else could 'proof' read them perhaps, and that bit will be sorted.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

deyempe wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

I'll finnish re-writing. Then You or someone else could 'proof' read them perhaps, and that bit will be sorted.

Chainsaw already did a version of this for his site, should be worth a look/borrow: http://coachchainsaw.blogspot.co.uk/p/skills.html