34 coaches online • Server time: 10:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krom72

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal mojo, is be a sore looser and trample the opponent when winning, whining even when dices are excellent and never stop complaining about your opponent being slow, nite too talkative, lucky, too good, bad and so on.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 10:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to FUMBBL.

There is much to discuss in your original post.

Firstly my sympathy that you have not found a better social atmosphere in the games you have played. I share the view that may be partly blamed upon the [B] division, which does tend a little more towards click and kill, over chat and chill. R and L really do tend to be more convivial.

But as you can see from the range of responses, attitudes towards chat and especially chat about the dice, vary widely. I, seemingly like you, find it a little odd to not mention such a key factor in what you have both elected to spend your time doing, but some will label any mention of the dice as whining, others will question your sanity and humanity if you do not acknowledge fully that only the dice prevented them beating you (no matter the truth of their play). So it is a cultural minefield, my advice is be true to your values but respectful of others.

Secondly, and this may sound harsh, you are not as good as you think you are.

I have watched a small sample of your games on replay (I wanted this to be an informed opinion), and both your choices pre game and in game are those of someone with very limited experience. Clearly you are no novice, you have the basics down and know how to attack/defend, but you also have a great deal still to learn if you wish to be competitive here.

Thirdly as to your somewhat vague assertion that people here do not understand the game, this is simply not true. It may be true of a very few individuals, but the majority here REALLY understand the game, have often played it thousands of times, and read about, absorbed, practiced and honed every aspect of play over several years. They may not understand table top gaming as you do, they may not understand the game as NAF players do, or as your league/friends/pets play it, but online bb understanding? We got it.

If some of that sounds glib, then we will require your empathy: Many times we have seen the ballad of the RLHero played out. Someones arrives on FUMBBL, having ruled the roost in their home league, thinking they will rightly conquer all. Then they complain about how people play, about basic elements like stalling and caging, about how the dice here are not fair/random, about how the game is player wrong here. About how everyone else needs to change and play their way. A pattern repeated year on year, time after time.

Then they either adjust, learn, and get better. Or they rage quit and leave, to protect their own ego and self esteem.

Choice is yours.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello again.
Thank you for the feedback. I won't address every point made individually, but in respect to my comment  "limited understanding how the game works"?, I am just referring to the point that games are decided by dice. It's a dice game, that's how it works. You can be the best player in the world, but if you're opponent has significantly better dice than you, you lose.

Yes, my win ratio is low, and I expect it to be because a lot of my games have been with slann, goblins, ogres and vampires.

To those who think I am some newbie ranting, in tabletop my naf name is ploppy_McPloppy. In about 2003 I won the league cup at the bb grand tournament (now naf championships), this year I was runner up in the naf championships. 3 years ago I won most tds at the dungeon bowl with 25 tds. I have numerous top 10 places at both tournaments, and if using a scoring team, have been in contention for most tds. I don't play a lot of tournaments, but I do well. We have a local tt league that has completed 13 seasons. I joined in their season 4 and won it first season I joined. Again, I always do well.

So I do have a pretty good idea of how to play the game, and what I'm talking about. The fact is, we give up our time to play a game we want to enjoy. If the dice are really one sided, it's not much fun. So some degree of chit chat and empathy can hep make the experience a bit more fun. In tabletop, you have to because the opponent is opposite you, there is no ignoring you. You can agree the best way forward to make it a fun experience for both of you. They won't say "just sit there and let me gain loads of spps and kill your team".

Anyway, I was looking for an excuse to play this less, as I love playing bloodbowl, but have actually played a little more than I ought to recently. Thanks to most, and I admit not all, there have been a few decent coaches (and thanks for the pm on the subject), I now have the reason to stop. I'll stick to tabletop where yes, you do get the occasionally douchebag, but the ratio of douchebags seems to be far less, and even when the dice are bad, it is usually a fun experience.

Feel free to keep flaming as I think it's called, and calling me an idiot. I won't be reading it.

Regards
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

You are playing mostly the Box. There is not going to be much empathy in the Box. I don't even think that there should be.

You would generally be better off in [L]eague or [R]anked.

Did the descriptions of the divisions get changed? Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

To be clear no one was calling you an idiot. We were saying - just play for fun, dont take it too seriously and ignore anyone that gets in the way of you enjoying the game.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Please, no one is calling you an idiot. People are helping you to understand.

I was where you were once. Truth is it took me some time to realise that sometimes it wasn't the dice, it was me. So if it's me, why should I expect someone to say it's the dice.

You have clearly established yourself in the world of BB, but now it's time to establish yourself on fumbbl! Become one of the top coaches here.

I agree, I like it acknowledged if the dice a biased towards the opponent and vice versa I will acknowledge if they are kind to me.

People are different. This isn't TT. So therefore it is a different culture.

There are a few bad apples on here but the admins are great. Get in touch with them if you feel abused. As for manners, again I agree, but not everyone has them.

T

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Online communities are always going to have some bad apples but this place is one of the best places to game. If you think that this place is bad then I'd stay offline on almost any other game.

Most of the responses here have been kind. Just join a league and talk to your opponent. You'll have a good time even if there is the occasional game against a jerk.

Remember that if someone is a jerk on here, you don't have to talk to them. Smile

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Great post PurpleChest, unfortunately a wasted effort, but I enjoyed reading it. Smile

Edit: Can't say that I follow on the R/L vs. Box divide though, the majority of opponents are great in all divisions in my experience and the few negative experiences I've had have been evenly divided accross R and B I's say.
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I find the crowd here to be a big majority of awesome. The odd rude people can be ignored.

I'll happily laugh at your quad skulls and foul your best players repeatedly. I will do so in a friendly manner.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

You might not get much sympathy when your dice are bad as there is a tendency for some coaches here and in the TT world to always blame the dice.
All too often a coach will have a bad start or make mistakes and start moaning about their luck. Sometimes they'll even give up when the game is very recoverable. It is pretty tedious listening to someone moan about how unlucky they are. Plus insulting if you played better or have a stronger team and they insinuate that you only won due to the luck factor.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

On a half-related note, in my last table top tourney, my second game with my Darkies was against a Chaos Dwarf coach. He is a good coach and he expected a close game, but the dice were heavily stacked against him. I fully acknowledged the fact, but he couldn't stop going on about it, using very strong language including repeatedly "dice rape", a term I strongly dislike. Overall, it was a very unpleasant experience. Points in case: empathy goes both ways, and you can have crappy experiences in TT, to.

My next game was against Dwarves. I played a strong first half but in T7 my opponent's dice just were on fire and he managed to stop my score, and injure two good players. I resolved not to follow the example of the previous coach and tried to keep up a good spirit. When he kept removing players early second half, we both commented on a fluff level that my guys were still disheartened by that devastating end of their drive. Then my opponent got a little overconfident, dedicating too many dwarves to blocking and surfing and too few to protecting and moving the ball. I clawed my way back into the drive with 7 elves or so and finished by rolling a ridiculous series of 3+ and 2+ without reroll, to win the match 1-0. Point in case: How good I didn't whine about my bad luck earlier. My opponent was a good sport, he was notably frustrated but kept it together well, and was fully aware that he had lost not due to my great dice in the end, but due to his own carelessness. We carried on ur fluff commentary on how my guys got their spirit back, and his guys suddenly got really nervous. I really had a blast.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Didn't we have an almost identical post a few months ago? The OP is pretty much saying "If you have the good dice (which most games do) I expect you to admit that and basically concede 'Yeah I won because of the dice'.

Didn't we have an almost identical thread where a social concern got caricatured and dismissed in a way that confirms the point made in the OP? I don't recall any similar thread that did not get its share of comments ironing out the irony of it all.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

At least the original author did not state that "Fumbbl is dead" before going on to tell us how much better they are than the the rest of us.

Kudos to PurpleChest for a thoughtful reply.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

No we really did have a similar topic. There was no irony there. The general post was the same. "Dice decide the game, so if you win, you really should say you won by dice only, and if you don't I think you're a bad sport"

I then weighed up the OPs post and then valued it compared to generally a lot of players who play on other formats look down on FUMBBL before trying it. There are severe issues between players playing different formats.

What was the OPs real problem? Look at it from the broad picture. You certainly aren't going to get as nice experiences playing online than playing on TT. Surely you expect that. But having a negative experience in most of your games? I can't believe that. So it was suggested that box was the reason. I don't believe that either. If you play box most of your games are going to be positive. So, that part of the OPs post I call BS.

The OP also said, in a demeaning manner that most players here don't really understand the game. By that he meant how much dice play a role. Actually, I believe it's the OP who doesn't understand how much of a role dice play and how much you can counter the dice if you know how to play.

He then countered with his achievements. Well........as Purplechest pointed out, the guy doesn't really know what he's doing in the pregame, that represented by his stats on the site. It all makes sense to me, which he cannot see. So saying the site members generally don't know the game. Is a major contradiction. I wonder how he's been as successful on TT as he has.

In my mind he's a bad sport and a troll.

"A game and site like this is only as good as it's community. Unfortunately, my experience in a majority of matches has not been good. And if anyone has wondered why more people don't play fumbbl, I expect it's this"

That's total BS. You seriously had a negative experience in most games? What were you expecting? If a coach continually gave negative experiences in games, they'd be removed. So my opinion is they weren't negative but the OP expects when being pummeled (which is most games) the opponent to be humble.

" The fact is, in bloodbowl, in most games one side will be luckier than the other, and no matter how good the decisions made are, if the dice are bad, you lose."

Can be true, but in most cases is actually incorrect. You can fight bad dice. Just look at the top guys in low TV box. They piss all over bad dice.

"To not acknowledge in any way lady luck is basically letting you win 2 or 3 nil and dishing out the pain with no comeback whatsoever, is basically just rude."

I don't expect my opponent to be fake and humble when winning. Please......just trolling....just stupid.

"Unfortunately, one thing I have noticed playing online, and especially here on fumbbl since I have started playing regularly over the last few weeks, is a limited understanding how the game works

'especially here on fumbbl for free'....The guys a troll and a crap troll at that. He's moved on? Great, the site's better off. I have no time for those who ask for empathy but have none themselves. I think bar me, the community have been far too kind.........which according to the OP the site has very few coaches that have such attributes.

I kinda why thoralf why you choose and how you choose your battles. You kinda champion the weird and unworthy for I guess reasons of your own. I'm the bad guy? Yeah so be it. I don't care. I call this guy for how I see it. A BS troll that has all the negative attributes he believes this community; lack of knowledge, lack of empathy and lack of good will in game.
Shakall

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad i don't play TT if all you guys do is sit around and comment on each others dice for two hours Smile. Seriously though, I played here for more then ten years and I find this site to be pretty great considered how few people that truly got under my skin over the years. GO FUMBBL!!
 Jump to: