19 coaches online • Server time: 05:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2016 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
jdmickleburgh wrote:
SL teams only or can I apply with an LRB team I've got made in the SL ruleset?

Why would you want to? Razz

It's about time a real team stepped up and showed all these SL teams what's what.

...sadly I applied with ogres so someone else will have to do that Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2016 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one around here

who have played with a LRB team against SL team?

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3812964
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2016 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The only two LRB teams in the SL Open group are both yours. Can't say I've seen any others and I've been speccing a large amount

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a team and slung them in. I gave the (large number of, crikey, that's some work!) teams a brief skim and then just picked one. Anecdotally, there don't seem to be many non Dwarvern rosters with much stability up front. Feels like the early days of Secret League are going to feature a large amount of 1/9 ing and prayer. Are the rosters more risky than their LRB counterparts by design?

I read in one of these threads that there is a mega PM chain doing the rounds. Please don't add me to that. I get enough PMs as it is; the idea of a chain bumping every few moments I'm on site makes me break out in a rash. Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The PM chain moved to the forum so dont worry, you wont get spammed.

I think thats true of some rosters and not so of others really. There are certainly less elf type races than in standard BB proportionally, but I think they are extremely well represented already really. there are still a few of the more agile teams knocking about though.

There are also a fair few good blocking teams, and then there are some, bizzare teams, some stuty, some teams that will be great in the long run but slow starters etc... I think there is a pretty wide variety really.

I would say there are a fair few teams that lack some of the core skills, sure hands, block etc... but have a more unique skills set. This is to give some of the lesser taken skills a run out and make unique play options etc..

but there are also a lot of reliable straight out the box teams as well.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If you say so, I suspect you've looked at the rosters more than I have. Wink

It's just a bit of fun, I wasn't being critical. I felt there was less reliability up front in general, but maybe that's no bad thing when we're dealing with a fan project. I don't believe you're claiming any of these teams should be included in a rules revision. Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't worry I'm not taking it as being critical. easy to miss read peoples tone in forums though I agree Smile

I would say on the whole yes the starting rosters are a little less reliable on average. But as I say there are some that are very reliable. Black Dwarves being a good example, or most of the new human races, or orc races. The more "extreme" races like daemons etc... start with less reliability but greater potential (in theory) and the vamp teams are still boom or bust like normal vamps really.

and no I am not suggesting these should be included in the future rules of the game Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
and no I am not suggesting these should be included in the future rules of the game Very Happy

I thought these were the future rules of the game. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoho. I'm sure you are aware of people that don't see their fan projects as just fan projects. Wink

Black Dwarves, indeed. Play fun, crazy rosters, they said. Select Dwarves?! Nope.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Teams that start with 1-2 players with block/wrestle

Estalia (Diestros)
Gnome (blitzers)
Blood Dragon (grave guard)
Lahmian (blitzers)
Necrarch (wights)
Hobgoblins (khan)

Teams that start with 4 players with block/wrestle

Half-elf (blitzers)
Half-orc (blitzers)
Kislev (kossars)
Nippon (samurai)
Nipponesse (samurai)
Savage Orc (blitzers)
Sea Elf (blockers)
Clan Mors (stormvermin)
Skink (chameleon skink – though these have ST1, AV6 and wrestle, so...)

Teams that start with 5+ block/wrestle players

Black Dwarf (all but runners)
Bretonnian (4 knights, 4 squires)
Engineer (linemen and kickers)
Slayer (linemen and slayers)
Tilea (theoretically, depending on lineup choice)

So that's something like... a bit less than a third of the implemented rosters?

To compare, of the CRP rosters, Dwarves, CDs and Norse are the only teams that start with 5+ block players. Amazons, dark elves, humans and orcs get 4. 8 rosters have 2 players with block, and the remaining 9 teams start with none.

So, yeah, it's fair to say that there's a little more starting block/wrestle in CRP. This isn't that surprising, as starting with block is mostly for blitzers, and somewhat fewer of the SL teams are organized positionally. (There are many that are, and the majority of the teams listed above have blitzers or blitzer analogues. But a somewhat higher percentage of them are organized by species, for lack of a better description -- not so much trained Blood Bowl players but creatures with innate abilities.) There's also not that much that can be done with a roster where most players have block, in terms of design... it's such a massive advantage that, in order to balance them (especially at 1000TV) you have to either cripple their mobility/ball skills (i.e. dwarves) or give them average mobility/handling and no armor (i.e. Norse.)

I do think more could be done with wrestle? But I'm not sure what.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that, I was careful to say anecdotally! Wink

I didn't just mean Block / Wrestle as it goes, but it genuinely doesn't matter to me too much, I just thought it was an interesting first impression.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

@ ahalfling, that was an interesting post. please feel free to do more analysis like this as its good for me see

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think one general thought on the rosters, particularly in the early days. Was that what are the best teams in BB? In nearly all cases that would be established famous crp rosters. So the newer ones tend to be a tad weaker.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed harvest it's better to be cautious. There are very very few rosters I have concerns about being too good now only a handful, if that, out of more than 70 teams

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2016 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying out Undead Pirates in the RRR. They look a bit strong with the 6548 Vampire Lord (especially once he gets some skills with the general access), but I'll see how they do. Smile

With the Wild Animal, I assume it's legal to blitz him into the endzone to score, even if he doesn't actually throw a block?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
 Jump to: