41 coaches online • Server time: 14:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AutoAxpert

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Questions for team improvement regarding a Secret League team should be put here or on a separate thread in the tactics section?

CIBBL! I swear I had a life, before!
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you mean questions about how to improve the team as it is described, change stats or skills or skill access, etc., or do you mean asking what skill to take when a player earns one?

Either way, if it's in SL, here should be fine.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

In this case I mean mostly player management.

I got this guy https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=11329946 on my Tilea team (https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=847867), with AV6 and MB. I'm wondering whether or not I should replace him, and if I should take a different kind of player (thinking of a passer of some description).

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd replace him with a similar player over an Animosity Passer.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally speaking, the FUMBBL advice is to fire all injuries. Except things like -AG on a Mummy, or -ST on a snotling.

I know when I played those guys recently, he was a target, and he only played 7 turns. I'd fire him. And you have the cash to replace him.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, replacing him is pretty much a given. Didn't factor in the animosity negatrait, however, if I get a human thrower, shouldn't he be able to pass to pretty much everybody without rolling? Or is the animosity rule working differently than the one written on the rules?

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

It works exactly the same. Tilean's race is 'Tilean' not 'human', so they would be classed as a different race.
AutoAxpert

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok thanks for the clarification

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 03:23 Reply with quote Back to top

You can set the race. However I think the idea is that any imported players suffer animosity. So in this case I believe 'Tilean' is the set race. Garion can clarify though.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
You can set the race. However I think the idea is that any imported players suffer animosity. So in this case I believe 'Tilean' is the set race. Garion can clarify though.

Correct, and all imported rosters are the same race within the roster. So even the human ogre is human, just to have it work like it is suppose to.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

JackH wrote:
The problem with gnoblars is they have so little fluff or history within the Warhammer world to translate into a cool themed blood bowl teams.

yeah sort of true. However if you know your Warhammer GW history Gnoblars are actually traced back to Goblins from 1st or was it 2nd edition Warhammer fantasy role play.

Back then though the race were not called "Gnoblars", they were called "Norse Goblins" they inhabited the exact same area on the warhammer map as Ogre Kingdoms have come to inhabit but there wasn't as much clarity. But even back then there were some similar things like Leadbelcher and so on.

However they were actually stronger than goblins or to be more accurate they were more fierce ferocious like norse are to humans i guess.
MachJacob

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Back then though the race were not called "Gnoblars", they were called "Norse Goblins"

So what that says to me is instead of reworking the Ogres, give all the Gnoblars Frenzy. Very Happy
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know I think there's fairly detailed fluff on Gnoblars now. There were 6th and 8th editions army books.

Their entry starts with "Gnoblars stand little taller than a man's waist and are relatives of the common Goblins that plague the Old World. These highly unpleasant creatures are possessed of a malicious but limited cunning .....

.....their gnarled bodies are topped with large bulbous heads.......despite their slender frames Gnoblars have a disproportionate amount of strength in their legs and backs, having been selectively bred ......

...most remarkable feature of a Gnoblar is probably his nose, a massive and protruberant lump than can smell an approaching predator...............this is complimented by an acute pair of ears; large, triangular appendages that swivel independently....

So overall I think there's plenty on them.

Remember citadel started as a company making figures for roleplaying companies. Most notably TSR and Dungeons and Dragons. From that GW/Citadel got into the fantasy wargames market.

They would have had 'Kobold' figure lines. However I get the feeling they couldn't use the term. Thus hill goblins or norse goblins (kobolds in myth can known as norse goblins).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold#/media/File:Kobold_artlibre_jnl.jpg

Not too dissimilar to a Gnoblar is he? And he's from myth not fantasy.

As for the Leadbelcher, this was a common goblin warmachine, and later a regiment of renown (kind of star player) machine. Although it shares a name with the Ogre Leadbelcher, it was an Organ gun.

I can't remember, but the Ogre Kingdoms had a lot of nods to the past. For example putting Ogres with Gnoblars and referencing the halfling connection that was long forgotten. Probably the leadbelcher connection wasn't a coincidence. It maybe that the barrels of a leadbelcher were used for the Ogre unit. I don't think so though as the leadbelcher (goblin) cannons were much much smaller.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Further adventures in mid TV pygmy. Team is still getting worse with everything added to their team value.

Forgive the histrionics but here's the issues.

Expensive players. Rolling lots of dice. If they fall down it's approx 1/4 chance of pitch removal. No block access. No big guy to soak up blocks.

I've had lucky skill rolls: 3 block on blitzers, + st blitzer (dead), ag6 thrower (av busted). And I don't consider myself to be a bad stunty player. But if you want to protect these guys, then you're making umpteen dodges to try and get them to a point of safety. And if your opponent has tentacles, tail, tackle, diving tackle then you're gonna stand no chance of freeing yourself.

If you're not freeing yourself then you're taking multiple 3dbs, which will eventually get the pow. But you have to be engaged to try and fight for the ball. Blitzing a ball carrier is gonna require a couple of assist to either negate them or give them.

And then there's fouling, and I think we all now what the result of fouling a stunty is.

So the match I played this evening doesn't look too bad on paper (dice stats may not be accurate). But I urge you to have a look at the replay, compare the two teams and ask if those teams are really equal in TV.

It's fully possible to say that pygmy are doing well by looking at the stats page but I don't think that presents a true picture. Pygmy do well against teams with no skills, that don't have excess numbers and can't foul due to fear of losing players (blood lust teams spring to mind). Once you start increasing TV in any way, they just don't have the weapons in their arsenal to compete.

I love the roster, it's fantastic to use and when there's still some players on the pitch there is constant enjoyment to be had. But I worry about them, I worry that what looked great on paper when building a roster, and what may be costed accurately, isn't going to pan out for anything other than at rookie level. You can put skills on a player and work out the cost for them but that's only half the picture.

Maybe the reason I'm frustrated is that for the life of me I can't see anything to be done to change them. I considered giving everyone regen maybe (but couldn't think of justification) or fend, anything really.

Hopefully my passion for the SL hasn't offended anyone. I'm truly grateful for all the work put into it. Other opinions are available I'm sure.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

So is cherry picking a thing in Secret League?