19 coaches online • Server time: 04:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Who or what is a Galak?

Garak is the guy with the white skin from Star Trek who claims to be a tailor but really you don't know who or what he is. Or potentially he wrote some books for Scientology? Or was that Jervis Johnson.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Bottom line for me.

Gold under CRP has no real value/purpose. So bank rules or no bank rules are pointless because of that.

PainState looks for the link to his insightful post a year ago to prove his point and then just gives up and wanders off aimlessly.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2016 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I know the simple and humble tailor very well.
Traul

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
B. Playing at a certain weight with money to alter the roster how they wish to stay at that weight. This means the team can be extremely successful (bar the ff penalty).

That sounds like a matchmaking problem more than a bank problem. In a fixed calendar league, teams are matched by number of games played. In that environment, raising TV is efficient (i.e.: it increases the chances to win games) as long as what you buy is better than the equivalent amount of inducements. This is a very low bar since all inducements are overpriced on purpose.

In a matched TV league, raising TV is only efficient if what you buy is better than what your opponents can buy with the same amount. That is a significantly higher bar and leads to sweet spotting / cash hoarding.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
from the data I've seen, yes.

the list of Ranked teams that reached 1000 games

https://fumbbl.com/p/teams?group=&race=&order=5&nav=1

the list of Box teams that reached 1000 games

https://fumbbl.com/p/teams?group=&race=&order=5&nav=10

what do you see when you examine them?

I see that in Box there are more teams with clawpomb in the top places, but how is that relevant?
I was talking about coaches, not the different racial composition of teams with 1000 games in Ranked and in Box.
Check randomly the profiles of coaches playing both in Ranked and in Box, you will notice that coaches' win rate % and CR in Box are most of times lower than in Ranked.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

that's impossible Matt. whatever people gain, another is losing the same. The overall average amount stays the same.

It only gets higher if the low CR coaches retire while the higher ones continue playing.

Now question 2. How is it relevant to this discussion that all the top Box teams are cpombers?

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you guys measure your genitals in the company of one another and leave us alone Wink
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

buuface wrote:
He says this overall balances the game better for long-term league play and prevents the bash heavy teams from amassing huge amounts of money and maintaining dominance season after season where agility teams struggle struggle to remain competitive for more than one or two season before crashing due to injuries and lack of funds.

Going back to the OP before MattDakka and Arktoris rant at each other we should consider there is a reason given here for why some folks have left FUMBBL to play BB elsewhere. I say folks as I doubt it is a one off.

Clearly this is someone who uses agility or hybrid teams and has seen an issue with bash teams dominating a league, or maybe open environment. If a league I wonder what example is he using for this issue? Did he play in a league here?

It could also be someone on Cyanide extolling the virtues of the rule but maybe not.

Last edited by garyt1 on %b %26, %2016 - %04:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

buuface wrote:
I have a friend who is a long time and highly skilled BB player.

He joined Fumbbl about a year ago after playing cyanide for a few years but has since switched back to cyanide on the basis of simple rule.

He says that in BB2, the last set of rules includes that you can only have 150-200,000 saved in bank before it starts to add to your TV

He says this overall balances the game better for long-term league play and prevents the bash heavy teams from amassing huge amounts of money and maintaining dominance season after season where agility teams struggle struggle to remain competitive for more than one or two season before crashing due to injuries and lack of funds.

He said that if fumbbl implements, or allows the function to implement this rule, that he will return.

What do people think about this?

I haven't read the 5 pages, but honestly think your friend is an idiot. If he is that "skilled" it shouldn't matter what the other player has in the bank. I "quotationed" skilleD, because he cant be that skilled to complain about something so petty. I'm sorry to sound insulting, but its my opinion.

Jeffro
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

buuface wrote:
He joined Fumbbl about a year ago after playing cyanide for a few years

Following on from my previous point it may be he was just more attached to Cyanide after playing there for a few years, and he gave some superfluous reason for returning. Hard to believe it is less bash dominated there.

Last edited by garyt1 on %b %26, %2016 - %04:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
buuface wrote:

Going back to the OP before MattDakka and Arktoris rant at each other we should consider there is a reason given here for why some folks have left FUMBBL to play BB elsewhere. I say folks as I doubt it is a one off.

Clearly this is someone who uses agility or hybrid teams and has seen an issue with bash teams dominating a league, or maybe open environment. If a league I wonder what example is he using for this issue? Did he play in a league here?

It could also be someone on Cyanide extolling the virtues of the rule but maybe not.

I don't think that can be it. BB2 is worse for monster bash teams than FUMBBL leagues. Several orders worse.

DLE College 7s
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 05:33 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
buuface wrote:

Following on from my previous point it may be he was just more attached to Cyanide after playing there for a few years, and he gave some superfluous reason for returning. Hard to believe it is less bash dominated there.

Well since he seems to be talking about leagues and not COL or R or B it's entirely useless to speculate on what his reasoning was.

If we knew which leagues he was talking about his complaint might make some sense, but if it's a complaint about R or B it clearly is unfounded.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Garion wrote:
Its not an official rule so will not happen. Also I think he is wrong personally.
edit: sadly if there are any rule changes that come with the new box set next year this will almost certainly be in there because galak and all his little cronies that kiss his back side love this rule even though they could achieve their same goals in a better way.

Presumably FUMBBL will be updated with the new box rules. Regardless if they are a bit worse.

Funnily if it is, then it won't be coming directly galak. Galak and GW had a major falling out.

It'd come from plasmoid who is now championing a slightly larger and the one used on cyanide bank.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
B. Playing at a certain weight with money to alter the roster how they wish to stay at that weight. This means the team can be extremely successful (bar the ff penalty).

That sounds like a matchmaking problem more than a bank problem. In a fixed calendar league, teams are matched by number of games played. In that environment, raising TV is efficient (i.e.: it increases the chances to win games) as long as what you buy is better than the equivalent amount of inducements. This is a very low bar since all inducements are overpriced on purpose.

In a matched TV league, raising TV is only efficient if what you buy is better than what your opponents can buy with the same amount. That is a significantly higher bar and leads to sweet spotting / cash hoarding.

Well I'm not going to disagree. TV match making and handicapping is the source of all problems, yes. That's why I feel the bank is a bandaid fix (remembering that it's not even it's intended use).

Harvestmouse the broken record "I think each format needs its own mm and pricing and handicapping formula ".
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2016 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
garyt1 wrote:
buuface wrote:

Well since he seems to be talking about leagues and not COL or R or B it's entirely useless to speculate on what his reasoning was.

If we knew which leagues he was talking about his complaint might make some sense, but if it's a complaint about R or B it clearly is unfounded.

Looking at the OPs friends list I think it is not too hard to work it out. From the games he played there's no way he would have experienced a problem.

He would have seen one of the big leagues working though. And even I wouldn't support using bank in the big leagues. You need the freedom to have full control of your money.
 Jump to: