47 coaches online • Server time: 18:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2016 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The final group PM as the group stage draws to a close! That lucky lottery winner and the beginning of the playoffs will be posted here tomorrow.

Hi gang!

Please continue not to respond to this PM and use the forum for all discussion!

The group stages of the Spike! Magazine Showdown are drawing to a close. In Europe we have completed play bar one or two button presses, and in North America there are a few games to tidy up as we approach the NA deadline. All three groups have been hotly contested, and we're now moving into the prize giving and playoff phase.

Firstly, we are due to select our lucky lottery winner. One tier 2 / 3 coach has been chosen at random to receive Spike! Themed prizes. I'll announce our lucky winner in the forum and via PM tomorrow.

Next - the Stunty Cup, a competition that also features a Spike! themed physical prize. This will be contested between two European coaches. Topper did an amazing job (the best of the whole group stage?), finishing 3/2/1 with Ogres in European Group 1. He was narrowly pipped to a place in the main playoffs at the very last, what a performance! He will face BadPublicity's Goblins following their more than respectable 3/1/2, also in European Group 1.

Now for the playoffs! We still have some results to come in from NA, but I believe it is impossible for the remaining games to effect the maths that has decided our playoff contenders. I'll check the below again tomorrow morning, but I think it's right! Smile A recap of the format this time; the group winners advance to the final four, and they will be joined by the winner of a fourway between the three second placed teams and the best third place. Tiebreakers are racial tier, opponent record then net TD + net CAS. There were two extremely tight groups that went to opponent record, and the best placed third team also required an abacus (as well as all my fingers and toes) to determine. Those results were:

NA Group: Winner: keggiemckill (Khemri - best racial tier), 9 pts. Second: dashergeaux (Wood Elf - opponent record, from lordchaos and possibly spinball, sixth result pending), 9 pts.

European Group 1: Winner: Elyoukey (Undead), 11 pts. Second: sann0638, 9 pts.

European Group 2: Winner: Endzone (Norse), 10 pts. Second Jokaero (Chaos Dwarves - opponent record, from Nobbeat and KFoged), 9 pts. This was one stacked group! One of Jokaero's opponents was inactive throughout, so his 'sixth score' was taken to be the mean of the record of his other five opponents. Nobbeat was calcuated as the best third placed coach, from Kfoged, lordchaos and possibly spinball. Again - I will check this result tomorrow when all North American results are in.

So, there we have it! The final four will be keggiemckill, Elyoukey, Endzone and one of dashergeaux, sann0638, Jokaero and Nobbeat. The playoffs and the Stunty Cup will be set up tomorrow; participating coaches, please await a PM. Who is your favourite for the title?

A reminder of why we are here; the brilliant Spike! Magazine NAF major. It is a fantastic event that has donated some lovely prizes, and there is still time to sign up. http://spiketournament.com/ should feature all of the information you need, but if you need more, please ask and I can help or direct you to the right people. If you cannot make this year, it is well worth setting up some holiday for 2017 or beyond. Canada is lovely, and it's a great event. Add it to that bucket list!

Thanks to everyone that joined us for the Spike! Magazine Showdown, it's been a stormer! Thanks also to our staff which make these tournaments possible. You will be hearing about our next Online NAF tournament soon enough, so watch those playoffs and get ready for more action, coming at you in September.

Thanks!

Phil / Goo.
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2016 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I gotta see that stunty game!

And thanks to you guys for organizing all this. Was my first "real" tournament on FUMBBL and quite a bit of fun. Smile

Congratulations to the guys who made it into the playoffs!
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Did Lord chaos not make the top 2 in the NA group? Can you break down the points a bit?

Jeffro
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I found the answer myself. I guess I beat out the tie by having a lower tiered team. I think by the scoring system below, Lorchaos did get 2nd place by having more TDs, than dashergeaux. Im sure Ill be corrected if I am wrong here. Spinal will have to win and score 6 TDs to come into 2nd. NA group

• Tie breakers will separate teams on the same number of points as follows:

o Highest tier (e.g. Halflings are a higher tier, 3, than Humans, 2, or Wood Elves, 1)

o For first and second position in a group –combined opponent record

o For all other positions -net TD + net CAS

o TD scored

o CAS inflicted

o Random

Jeffro
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Keggie, as it stands, LC was unlucky and came third on tiebreakers. You won (best racial tier, well done!), and then we had a three way tie for second. The Woodies had a better combined opponent record than LC's Undead (and Spinball's Norse), and Nobbeat in Europe beat LC out of 'best third place' on the same breaker. I'll check my working again later when the final results are in (edit: I have checked again, it is right. Hammer will be forfeited against due to being away for a couple of weeks and as such confirms the placings), but I'm pretty sure the above is going to be the shakedown.

It seems you guys were working under the assumption that the top places were decided by net TDs + net CAS? As I've noted before; opponent score is non trivial to code, so I have to work it out myself. It does look a bit weird, LC being 'top' on the TB the site can handle, only to actually be third. I appreciate that, but can't do much more than make it clear in the rulespack how we'll settle ties. We've been doing it this way for a year or more now, but it'll likely continue to catch people out as we go forward.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy to announce that Ghorgrix has won the raffle with his Khemri. Well done!

Preliminary Playoffs and the Stunty Cup all drawn and underway. Good luck to all, and post those start times! Very Happy

(Great to see you had fun, Electric_Wizard. Sorry to have missed you above! Very Happy)
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Makes sense now PG. I didn't expect to make it this far, which is my only excuse to not knowing the rules. Smile

Jeffro
Ghorgrix

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the raffle Smile.

Playing with Khemris was a nice challenge, sometimes frustrating, sometimes rewarding but always funny Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

No worries, both. Well done to the Khemri! Smile
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess because of Coding, I can't get the credit for winning it on the NA page. Sad Not that it matters, but it sort of matters.... not really... but really.

Jeffro
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point. In future I might add a discretionary point here and there to make that work.

Rest assured that in the 'history' section of the group page, your win will be recorded properly.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I am playing Dashergeaux in around 25 hours time - 0030 Fumbbl time in the early morning of 11th August. Shall I go with coffee or booze to see me through the night?

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2016 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Booze!

Jeffro
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

How about vodka energy, sann? Best of both worlds, caffeine and alcohol! Twisted Evil
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

But my body is a temple! Smile

Jump to: