60 coaches online • Server time: 21:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

I agree entirely with what you've written.

I did incorrectly suppose fan factor was meant to be a balancer.
Some sort of algorithm that uses some kind of scalar differentiating would be nice, but I don't think there would be enough active teams in blackbox to really make it worthwhile.

25~30 games seems better to me than 15, but I assume then we get in to problems of matching >30 completed game teams?

It's important to roll good (skills and in game) in those first 15 games then. Maybe I might start retiring my healthy teams on 14 games..... Smile

Well, it's not that FF isn't a balancing factor vis a vis success, it's just that if a team is playing X games where X can tend to to infinity, it really ceases to have much of a factor in matches past a point. Your premise wasn't incorrect, it's just that it doesn't always apply inside the perpetual system.

We do have %tv protection up until game 30 in the box actually anyway:

Quote:
Below 3 games played, max TV difference allowed is within 10%
For 3 to 9 games played, max TV difference allowed is within 15%
For 10 to 29 games played, max TV difference allowed is (15 + (games - 10) * 2)%
For 30 or more games, any opponent is allowed

This is in addition to the rookie protection <15 games.

harvestmouse wrote:
The problem is that TV works pretty well for resurrection. The only large problem (that I can see) with resurrection TV is that there are a lot of skills that are underutilised.

In my mind, there's absolutely no way that a team should be sitting on over a million gold and a 11 players like the OPs. That is just wrong and limiting the scope of the game.

I think to fix TV, you first would have to recognise different formats of the game and their needs. Then work out a handicapping and rating formula for that format............it seems we have this conversation at least 1 a month.

Well yes. One of the things I actually find very interesting about the box is that <15 you find some people treating it very much as you would a res tournament - take only skills that are absolute value, aim for a TV total, play at that total, abandon team. To be quite honest, that can make low tv hellish for the rest of us who want to play through to mid and high (which can be hellish for other reasons) and are maybe taking doubles etc for the future, but there you go.

And yep, nothing new.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
CPOMB together is 200k instead of 70k approx.

How so?

AD wrote:
And yep, nothing new.

Latin lovers would recognize Non nova, sed nove, while those who prefer to get biblical would see Ecclesiastes 1:9.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I don't understand what this question is. TV is supposed to reflect a teams growth, and/ or worth.If a rookie team gains after one game 2 ST ups, the team move up 10 TV points. from a 100 to a 110. If a team loses a 50 k Lineman, it goes down to 950 TV. Its exact mathematics.

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:

Pretty obvious - TV isn't directly correlated to team ability/strength (and yet we are supposing it is, when we use TV to match-make), since certain skills/stats don't have the same immediate impact on the pitch compared to other skills/stats or stacks of skills. We already know that.

Desultory supposed FF is supposed to act somewhat as a balancing factor in growth, but that simply isn't true, except actually for the new team - over time, most teams will end up sitting around 8-12 FF (in my experience). A new team can hit that in its first 8 games, even through just a bunch of tied games. So there, it's inhibiting growth by giving less/more inducements (league) or a harder match-up (tv-based match-making, assuming even TV).
This gets thrown right out of whack in a perpetual environment.

None of this is new.

CRP- Optional Rules wrote:

Free Fan Factor
Instead of using the rules for purchasing Fan Factor on page 16, the league may have Fan Factor be free. All teams under this rule would start with a Fan Factor of 5 for no cost. Fan Factor never adds to a team’s value and changes in Fan Factor from Post-game rolls do not affect team value.
Page 34.

Easily fixed and already is in the Rules. For the record I don't find it as a problem. It would make Min Maxing more prevalent as its one more thing they can control. I'm fine the way it is.

Jeffro
charlie1331

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
Desultory wrote:
CPOMB together is 200k instead of 70k approx.

How so?

AD wrote:
And yep, nothing new.

Latin lovers would recognize Non nova, sed nove, while those who prefer to get biblical would see Ecclesiastes 1:9.

The amount of references in this post that I don't understand is too damn high!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
The problem is that TV works pretty well for resurrection.

That because there are no notable stacks of skills, not because TV works well.
When skills are stacked their synergy value (higher than the sum of the single skills) is not taken into account by TV, as the useless or hard countered skills (Tackle is useless if you are playing vs a team with 0 Dodge, spamming Dodge is worthless vs Dwarfs and mass AV 9 is useless vs claw).
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

charlie1331 wrote:
The amount of references in this post that I don't understand is too damn high!

Eh.

"Nothing new under the sun" is an old feeling, and forums have a tendency to reinvent the wheel.

This is supposed to be a Good Thing. The alternative would be like arguing you don't need to practice your split because Jean-Claude Van Damme did. Speaking of whom, by the year 3000, we all should be speaking with sound waves.

I'd still like to know how CPOMB = 200 TV.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

He was just exaggerating the value when the skills are combined. Or at least I think he is exaggerating.. I could see 100K.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
I could see 100K.

How so?
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Please lock this thread.

Jeffro
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
The problem is that TV works pretty well for resurrection.

That because there are no notable stacks of skills, not because TV works well.
When skills are stacked their synergy value (higher than the sum of the single skills) is not taken into account by TV, as the useless or hard countered skills (Tackle is useless if you are playing vs a team with 0 Dodge, spamming Dodge is worthless vs Dwarfs and mass AV 9 is useless vs claw).

Except for all the non claw blocks and actions.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I think cheating is poor form and should be punished.

Oscar Wilde
Wuhan

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

BenjiRyle wrote:
I have never heard the term "Farmed team" before until today.

My opponent told me that I farmed my team and that people like me ruin FUMBBL. I had never heard this term before and had to ask what this was. Apparently because my zombies aren't skilled up as much as my ghouls and mummies this is a farmed team and people don't like this?

Is this really frowned upon or was he just overreacting?

Here is my team: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=837299

allow me to translate, I speak American.
Your team is min/maxed to the max.

You have 11 players, 3 rerolls, no apoth.
All of your positions are uber skilled.
And your Tv is only 1700.

I'm playing Dark elves, and I feel I'm going to get killed, and its not going to be a fun match up for me.

Therefor, you are a cheater. You should retire your team and quit in shame.
sbr32

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2016 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Damned Undead teams not hiring an apo.
 Jump to: