64 coaches online • Server time: 22:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
Jamerson wrote:
For me, it's not so much the losing but the feeling that you have just wasted an hour or not really achieved anything.

The irony of course is that this is true whether you lose or win!

It's ridiculous how much an "unfair" loss affects my mood the rest of the day. Breaks help but really it's about regaining perspective and having the proper attitude toward what is only a game.

Bingo!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
DarthPhysicist wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
I appreciate Saturday is drinking night, but maybe this should be a blog?

Nah, the point was to have "general chat" and by being sufficiently self deprecating, someone else might have a story to share, and comments to make. Who knows, maybe it was a rare alignment of the planets with the North Shore of Massachusetts, and someone in Algeria was playing at their best!

All of which could have been done on a blog. Rather than clutter up a forum category with personal stuff.

Sheesh, you seem to only be bothered by EVERYTHING anymore. Confused
I'm sending you some gnomes Imageto keep the kids off of your lawn. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, it's not like there's only a handful of us who go through really bad streaks. It might interesting to discuss what factors play into forming a bad losing streak (I have my ideas and I hope Wreckage and MattDakka do too Wink). This is a perfect venue for such discussion.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
DarthPhysicist wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
I appreciate Saturday is drinking night, but maybe this should be a blog?

Nah, the point was to have "general chat" and by being sufficiently self deprecating, someone else might have a story to share, and comments to make. Who knows, maybe it was a rare alignment of the planets with the North Shore of Massachusetts, and someone in Algeria was playing at their best!

All of which could have been done on a blog. Rather than clutter up a forum category with personal stuff.

That makes no sense HM. Threads get bumped to the top while they're alive (so they're about the community interaction), while blogs just get older and lower on the lists (they're about the initial message).

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

There isn't a coach among us who hasn't had an off day. Those that have played more have all had 'that streak' where they could not buy a win for a little bit. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are; Blood Bowl coaches get beaten. Often, if you compare BB to other games.

The important thing (well, I guess it depends on how you define 'important'!) is to not let it go on for too long. 'I was crap today, I lost three games and deserved to' is OK. Sitting down to play a day later, suffering Blitz! first dice roll and letting it snowball into ten games is not the best thing to do. If I'm down about Blood Bowl (if I've been diced, or played when tired and annoyed myself by not being at my best, or made a mistake), I know the worst thing for me to do is play again whilst still annoyed. Get outside, have a break, put BB behind you, and when you come back refreshed, it'll be like a new game. I got caught recently having too many scheduled games to play and got into a real tailspin. Time away from the game is often the best medicine. Those that play loads and loads often have CR graphs that spikily peak and trough numerous times; it's easy to get yourself lost in a streak.

Good luck, and don't worry about playing badly. The first step to being good is knowing you're playing badly. Wink
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to gauge my own mindset before I start a game, especially if I'm on a bad run. I ask myself:

"How much do I care about this game? How am I going to react if I get completely diced and my team gets trashed? Can I handle it (or will I scream or break something)?"

If the answer is no, then I'm probably not in the right frame of mind and maybe it's best not to play Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice post Purplegoo.
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2016 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Days like that i just step away from the game and play some resident evil or something like that. I find it very satisfying to blow zombies heads off for a few hours. The ultimate relaxing time.RE 2 or 4, it doesn't matter, as long as there are zombies to kill.
 Jump to: