45 coaches online • Server time: 11:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I would read the rules, find a buddy and form a private league and play an all hobgoblin team (from chaos dwarfs) vs an all thrall team (from the Vampire team). They have no skills to worry about and low armor, so you can learn how to give assists, throw blocks, pickup the ball and throw bad passes. With a game of all low armor, you will also learn the rules on injuries. As you level these teams, you can start by just spamming block on all the players and it will show you how much the game changes with just a basic skill.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a good idea DarthPhysicist- the blocking rules at the core are good to learn to start.

There's also the 145 League which is designed for rookie BB coaches. You can play there in open league or tournaments with other rookie coaches and get feedback from experienced coaches too.

welcome to Fumbbl!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah dude, who cares about learning things first!
Just make a completely whako team and get going!

Then you can still figure out how to play it Smile.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage, post your playbook Very Happy
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Ah dude, who cares about learning things first!
Just make a completely whako team and get going!

Then you can still figure out how to play it Smile.

I think that you will get a lot more help/respect in game if you have at least some idea of the rules.

You don't need to memorise the whole thing. But you you'll need to know understand moving, blocking, tackle zones, dodging, passing, hand offs. You won't even see most of the skills in your early games. But you'll need to understand block, dodge, tackle, guard, wrestle.

Generally people here are great. But I suspect a lot of people wouldn't want to give up an hour and a half on someone who has made no effort at all. Unless they just want to farm your team for the SPPs. Twisted Evil

After the rules there is the art of blocking and the Taouch.

And join the 145 Club. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The most difficult concept, when I've been explaining the game to new players, is assists when blocking. If you can master that then the rest of the core stuff - movement etc - is fairly easy to grasp.

Luckily the client calculates what dice you need to do things, and the game log does a good job of explaing it (eg ag4 + making a dodge = 2+).

Agree about playing some games with basic teams - humans, orcs, pro and high elves and chaos. But Wreckage makes a solid point as well about just jumping in.

All playing games on here takes is the time, and you'd need to put that in to learn the game anyway. No upfront cost for minis means there's no reason not to find a team that appeals to you, maybe have a look at some good starting team rosters and if it all goes nuffle up then it's no biggie.

As said before, have a look at the 145 club. Those guys do a great job helping new coaches and are very gracious with their time. Welcome aboard Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Jus so ya know.

Throweck is 145 Club boss man now.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Jus so ya know.

Throweck is 145 Club boss man now.

True 'dat

I am just about to kick off a new league and a 145 RRR so get those teams in!!

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Best ways are of course if you'd play yourself or if someone experienced would play with you and commentate what you are doing, should do, what options there are..

Here is one hour long video from TotalBisquit. Ok, it's against AI in bbce but the basics of the basics are there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSq3BR35JE

Maybe after that video cKoors tutorial playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSJ6kwwJv4Nr-Ky1PaFZys50S7zewio1O

Reading rules helps but they don't show it visually. Here in these videos you see what is block action, importance of learning to make basic cage, what kind of dice are being rolled, what are dodge rolls, what other rolls there might be, what are the basic actions you can make during one turn..

I learned the game thru watching a lot of videos (basically watching noobs play). Gladly they were commenting what they were doing so i learned at least what "assisting" means, about block dice and dodge dice in general.

But it was when i started to play when i noticed the importance of positioning and weaknesses of basic x-cage (nowdays i usually cage only for 1 or 2 turns because i can move screen way more easily, cage is just a backup if i can't move much and need that protection).
Espionage

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Read the rules, open the client up in test mode, have a quickclick to make sure you can work it, start playing. Lie to all your opponents about how your an experienced table top player, but can't work out the client, throw long bombs at every opportunity, 11 years and 1500 or so games later you might have a few ideas.

Your mileage may vary
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

mundangerous wrote:
How do I get into this game?

I believe the best thing you can do is joining the 145 Club and play with someone who have just started out as well. Or see if some of the experienced coaches there can give you some help (take JellyBelly up on his offer of spectating).

If you like I'll also play a tutorial game with you. Send me a PM if your interested and lets see if we can schedule something.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2016 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Wreckage, post your playbook Very Happy

https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook

Also mundangerous... If you need somebody to play through a game and explain you everything, just send me a pm.
 Jump to: