54 coaches online • Server time: 13:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jonno

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2017 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

So my old lap top was 15 inches. and I always thought the client window was all right. I autohid the tool bar, so I could chat, and everything was good...

Now I just got a 14 inch lap top, and the client window is waaay smaller. Like it takes up a way smaller percentage portion of the screen...

Is this because my new screen has more pixels?

What can I do? If I turn it in for a bigger screen will the client still be smaller? because the screen is better?
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2017 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

You could reduce the resolution of your screen, or use a software magnifier.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2017 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

How on earth did you managed to find a 14'' screen in this day an age? Surprised

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Carthaginian wrote:
You could reduce the resolution of your screen, or use a software magnifier.

Yeah, but the problem is that even on low resolution the client window is still really small.

I guess what I'm asking is if the java client is just smaller on the new generation of lap tops?
jonno

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
How on earth did you managed to find a 14'' screen in this day an age? Surprised

It was all shiny and chrome!!
Desultory

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I use an external screen with my laptop connected by HDMI. That would solve the problem, albeit semi ruin the point of having a laptop, and cost some money.

Does your oaptop have HDMI or VGA connectors? If so, this is one solution.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
I use an external screen with my laptop connected by HDMI.

That's not a bad idea.
Fortis

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason it is displayed like that is that it is a fixed resolution (something like 800x600) and your new screen has a much larger resolution compared to your old laptop. Adding a screen is a really odd workaround, I guess it would work, but only if you got a low resolution screen from somewhere. You can reduce your desktop resolution by right clicking on the desktop and clicking on "screen resolution" (windows 7) or similar in other versions. It'll make everything else look weird but fumbbl will fill up more of the screen.

Otherwise the more elegant solution is to get a software magnifier. Just choose a random one of these: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=magnifier&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=IjWLWOihOsTr8Aenj5SoBw#q=magnifier+soft
jonno

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Fortis wrote:
The reason it is displayed like that is that it is a fixed resolution (something like 800x600) and your new screen has a much larger resolution compared to your old laptop.

Does this mean that the client will be the same size regardless if the screen is 14 or 17 inches? If the screens have the same resolution?
Loew

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jonno wrote:

Does this mean that the client will be the same size regardless if the screen is 14 or 17 inches? If the screens have the same resolution?

no, it means that the client size will always be determined by how many pixels are displayed.
Just looking at the horizontal lenght: I think Fortis is right that the client is about 800 pixels wide. Old laptops may have had as little as 1240 pixels in width, so the client covered about 2/3 of the available space.
Modern displays may have for example 1920 pixel (full hd), so the client takes up less then half of the available width.
Desultory

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Fortis wrote:
Adding a screen is a really odd workaround, I guess it would work, but only if you got a low resolution screen from somewhere.

Just want to note that my external screen is 1920x1080 so not 'low resolution', but it is 24"...

I didn't buy it solely to play FUMBBL Wink
Just saying it would be a solution.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Loew wrote:
jonno wrote:

no, it means that the client size will always be determined by how many pixels are displayed.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
 Jump to: