33 coaches online • Server time: 08:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone know any good resources for buying prepainted miniatures?

I just don't have time to make the commitment to purchase any but I'd like to start playing more real life tabletop tournaments for which it'd be great to have a some more team variety.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ebay? Or just ask to borrow when you're heading to a tournament Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Buying from ebay is best bet. Painted teams usually go cheaper than unpainted.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

ebay isn't a bad idea, but usually costs a little more than buying in places like the facebook Blood Bowl Trade group (there's a US version of that one too now).

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I looked on eBay. Wasn't really sure what I should expect In way of costs.

How much would you expect for an unpainted modern looking say necromantic team... Say 12 pieces or so... Vs a painted. Etc.

By modern I mean non 3rd edition etc. Like I've seen some really nice ones...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/152034052126

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/292031382556

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.es/itm/222402840513

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.es/itm/222402840723

The last two being good examples.
SissyishSnow

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're UK based i have a buddy that does commissions for a reasonable price. For Necromantic though i imagine he'd want you to source the Mini's yourself
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in Canada and I'm not necessarily sold on necromantic. I have one human team painted but that's definitely not my best race. I feel like I'm fairly strong with woodelves and necromantic and I liked some of those minis. I am also a huge undead fan so I was kinda figuring they were similar ish. Like that combo set which you can use for either undead or necromantic etc.

But I guess the real question is how much these actually go for. Like, this is something I might use maybe once a year lol
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It really depends what you buy. If you buy one of the 3rd party manufacturers' teams, you're looking at probably £70 for most of them (or whatever that translates to in colonial cash). However, there are cheaper alternatives. Impact! do a range of teams in what they call Trollcast resin, which are closer to half that price. And they're one of the few that are US based, saving you some of the shipping cost.

Then you could get a team converted from plastic GW minis. Depending on what they're based on and how complex the work done to them is, that could be anything from £20 upwards.

The new GW teams are going for £20. But they only have skaven and dwarves available separately at the moment, though humans should be out in a fortnight or so, and orcs could be soon after that (don't hold me to that). They also tend not to be full teams. 12 players, but short on positionals.

Those are unpainted prices. If you just want them painted, you can get stuff for the same price. If you want them painted well, you could easily double or triple the prices. And if you want top level painting, the sky is the limit...

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2017 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I sold my dwarf team painted to a very average standard on ebay about 9 months ago on ebay for £57.

Be wary of models advertised as 'pro-painted'. Some say they are but clearly are not.

You are looking around £35-£80 depending on size of squad/painted/unpainted, etc.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2017 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Did Willy Miniatures shut down or something? I can't find their website. Seems the link is dead.

These just look amazing:

Edit: Nevermind, I found them... http://willyminiatures.com/

Seems they changed their website.
OTS

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2017 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I know a number of folks who do commission work. Often you get what you pay for, but if you want a dazzling team for the pitch, and you don't have the time or skill, that's the way to go.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2017 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

How much should i care about metal vs plastic etc?

If I decide to paint myself is one easier than the other?

My only experience was painting the 3rd edition plastic human team like 15 years ago that I totally forget everything Smile
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2017 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Plastics are easier to put together and convert. But there are very few teams to choose from.

Metals are (in my opinion) nicer to paint and there are a huge variety of teams to pick from. The paint on metals will chip at some point.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2017 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Metals are (in my opinion) nicer to paint and there are a huge variety of teams to pick from. The paint on metals will chip at some point.

YOu can always use varnish on metal miniatures to prevent paint from chipping.

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2017 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Pre-painted teams on eBay seem to be pretty expensive, unless you want to buy really ugly paint jobs Very Happy
 Jump to: