27 coaches online • Server time: 01:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bates

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi team,

I would like to ask advice for playing the Slann team. I'm a rookie rookie coach and I know they are weak, but really fast and slicky. iIwould like to grab the opportunity to try to cause some mayhem ( If I get the team). How would you incorporate the leap and very long legs skill.

Many thanks for your senior advice.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

On defence you have a constant threat on the ball because any of your lineman can leap into a cage on a 3+. Try to attack the ball every turn. Your catchers are great because they leap on 2+ so the are great for retrieving the ball. Skills like Wrestle and Strip Ball work really well here. Catchers can leap in on a 2+ to give an assist. Guard is great for them on a double.

On offence if you have a catcher on the ball you can leap out of trouble on a 2+ which is great. If you have 4 catchers your defensive cage / screen can leap with them all on 2+! Dodge is the best first skill for catchers.

Paying as I have described can be very effective but also requires rolling more dice than other teams so have plenty of rerolls.

Example starting team for this play strategy:

4 catchers 280
8 linemen 480 (760)
4 rerolls 240 (1000)
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

When I was starting out with slann I found a lot of good advice in guides for humans and wood elves. I ended up playing a bashier game that was a mix of the two - humans mostly except for the turns that I played them like wood elves.

I would read these two excellent guides by Joemanji and Garion, respectively, and see where that takes you.

http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/playbooks/Jack_of_All_Trades.pdf

http://bloodbowl.dk/playbooks/Woodelf%20-%20Tom%20Picard(Garion).pdf

But the roster has a lot of flexibility and there are number ways to play them effectively. I would try *not* to roll a lot of dice. Save your RR for late in the half and wait until a good chance to cause a turnover (ideally one where you have a chance to pick up the ball afterward).

I think most people who play a lot of slann would also suggest starting with a Krox. They are really great.

EDIT: The other thought there would be not to try Slann until you have some experience with both Woodies and Humans. Once you have a baseline then combining the two makes more sense!

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanx for the advice guys.
Are there any other races that you would recommend from which I could benefit when starting with Slann?

Humans worked well for me during my first game Smile a touchdown and so solid defense.

But Elfs for one reason don't really tease me.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I find vampires have much in common with slann on defense, but they are also very strange and different too so maybe it has more to do with both being "strange" teams that play differently than most others.

It's also useful to play your regular teams *against* good slann players and watch what they do (and what is most annoying to you when playing against slann).

Overall, I think slann hard hard to master so having really good basics with most other races before moving on to slann is a solid plan for success.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The Grue's too modest to tell you to watch his Slann games. Do it nevertheless. Alternatively, watch all his games.

Wreckage's games could show you the Catcher-flavored build.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Linemen: For the most part you want to treat them like human linemen for the majority of the time. They occupy space, mark targets, take hits, throw the occasional assisted hit, and should be considered expendable. However, place a few near the ball carrier, as they can suddenly leap to threaten the ball carrier.

Blitzers: Despite the name, these players are more road blocks/markers rather than traditional blitzers. With diving tackle/jump up, they can lock up the most agile of players into the position you want them.

Catchers: They are the lynch pin of your team. They are able to reliably move in ways even war dances only dream of. Like war dancers, use them to knock the ball loose with wrestle/tackle/strip ball.

Krox: This is still a great big guy, but not absolutely vital like the Lizardmen Krox. Still, he takes up space while making dodges a harder (which also stacks with your blitzer's diving tackle). Put him somewhere he causes problem without having to roll dice.
bates

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2017 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning of reading a lot about the strategies online and whenever I have my team keep on practicing.
Are there any board members that excel with Slann and that I could contact to have some great advice etc...?
Endzone

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2017 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage is good with Slann.
 Jump to: