39 coaches online • Server time: 15:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long should seasons be in the Ranked division?
20 games. You should rebuild from time to time
28%
 28%  [ 18 ]
10,000 games. The longer the season the better it is.
56%
 56%  [ 36 ]
Mandatory Pie choice someone forgot to put in. (LB)
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

Dominik

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont know what its about this season thing, but I highly dislike the idea of having my team retired or cropped after a certain amount of games.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It'd be good for league as it lowers the barrier to entry for new joiners

Hilariously though, it's a disadvantage for incumbent coaches for the same reason, so it's a tough sell "let's make your teams worse guys, so future people can compete against you"
It's good for the long run health of a league but not good for current strong teams
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

Hilariously though, it's a disadvantage for incumbent coaches for the same reason, so it's a tough sell "let's make your teams worse guys, so future people can compete against you"
It's good for the long run health of a league but not good for current strong teams

Under the current ruleset, in our league we are forced to do either a hard reset or a hard TV cap once every few seasons to prevent monster teams destroying newcomers. Monster team owners understand it's a necessary measure and I've never had too much trouble with that. The seasons mechanic is a much gentle way to keep teams at a reasonable power level.

In perpetual TV match-making it doesn't make much sense though.

Seasons belong in L

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Silent_Hastati wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
Karnov wrote:
The season should start on the 1/1/20** and conclude 31/12/20**.
One calendar year. Easy.

2 pages and only one temporal suggestion... this is where the answer lies in my opinion although maybe a year is too long.

After each season (defined period of games) each team gets 10k per match played, 5k per TD and Cas, and a fresh 1m gold added to their treasury. From this they must re-purchase their team (not including Fan Factor). Players who have played 2 or more seasons sometimes cost an extra 10k per season played to convince them to stay.

A temporal season is a terrible, terrible idea, as all it does is give teams that play more a massive unrelenting advantage against those that play less, as every single part of the rebuy system is based on games played and individual events like # of CAS and such. The entire mechanic is based around teams having played the same number of games (And even then it's fairly flawed at maintaining parity). A difference of even 4 or 5 games would create a pretty hefty difference as to what TV you could maintain, not to mention how many SPPs on average an individual player could aquire in his career (as players also get more expensive per season they survive).

Theorybowling could even argue that mirror match teams of equal TV wouldn't be equal anymore with those disparities, as the team that played more each season could afford to have more of a stars/scrubs dichotomy compared to someone who has to dump his top guys due to seasonal tv bloat.

It would either have to be based on # of games, or not done at all (which I don't think anyone would truly raise a fuss if the latter happened). The only wrinkle is Majors, but that could just be dealt with by making it so you have to roll a "new season" upon joining the tourney.

The amount of games will never be agreed upon, the user base is too large for a consensus to be easily reached, so whilst I jokingly keep referring to Faction (an old Division I know is dead) it's format was a perfect fit for Seasons, as it had a infinite (20) number of teams in each division with 10 scoring games and the ability to play the other 9 teams as recovery games (they were needed in LRB4) which may be referred to as Exhibition games under this system(?), each round was a 2 week period you activated a single team for.

People do not like change, I have seen conversations over on Discord where people have looked at the new rules baulked at them and then starting making some calculations and discovered that actually they could afford to re-buy pretty hefty teams. This system would also un-Grandfather certain Ogre teams that sit with more than 6 Ogres as they would only be able to buy back 6 of them.

I am not saying this is the only way, it as everything else is just an opinion.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
This system would also un-Grandfather certain Ogre teams that sit with more than 6 Ogres as they would only be able to buy back 6 of them.

Another nerf to Ogres. Leave them alone.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

Depends how big the league is. For a big league with multiple tiers it's not really a problem. Small league with one division it might well be. A hard TV cap is still better than seasons though. Seasons just gives the best coaches more TV to start next season with better players. It's basically the opposite of a handicap to make things fairer.

DLE College 7s
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:

Depends how big the league is. For a big league with multiple tiers it's not really a problem. Small league with one division it might well be. A hard TV cap is still better than seasons though. Seasons just gives the best coaches more TV to start next season with better players. It's basically the opposite of a handicap to make things fairer.

It still gives league admins the ability to set hard TV caps, while allowing coaches to have better control at the resulting team.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:

Seasons belong in L

All that needs to be said about this topic.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. How about this?

Any time your team is in P-mode, you may end season instead of readying the team. Next to the "End Season" button it tells you how many gold you'd get for a rebuild.

You're never obligated to do this. Or if you are, it's after some obscene number of games so your TV will never be cropped against your will. 50?

But if you get train-wrecked early, you don't have to retire the team.

I'm still for up-to-30-game seasons. Lets you build and develop, doesn't let you go on forever.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2017 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Using the Seasons mechanic as a 'get out death spiral free' card is at least a reason to consider implementing them.

Or you could just implement a 'get out of death spiral free' system.

Not sure anyone would care enough to complain much, other than the tournament folks, but hell, tournament folks can live by their own rules for the tournaments anyway.

If you make seasons completely optional on a per team basis it seems fine to me. Though... someone will likely argue that doing that 'defeats the intent of seasons'.
 Jump to: