27 coaches online • Server time: 01:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone mentioned the cool things that happen after seasons, like recovering from niggling injuries and dropping fan factor? Will we get those too?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see how B contradicts A here thoralf. If the implementation of rules is bound to a greater degree by feasibility of implementation as well as unintended or unknown knock on effects of those rules in an environment outside the scope of those rules, is it such a far leap to think that perhaps, maybe, you're holding onto a shallow and hollow rhetorical point of "the rules say this!".

I mean, keep on banging that drum to work people up but surely, push comes to shove, Nuffle and 1:1 representation of rules are the ones to break themselves not Fumbbl.
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
I agree with Thoralf. You need seasons of some sort to keep the best teams from being immortal.

Could be very long seasons... which is why I made the proposal I did.

Huh?

Don't follow this logic at all. Are you concerned about PO being out?

Or do you just think that R and B are 'wrong' the way they are now?
thoralf

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
If the implementation of rules is bound to a greater degree by feasibility of implementation as well as unintended or unknown knock on effects of those rules in an environment outside the scope of those rules

I love when you shovel your arguments all to the left side of your counterfactuals, mrt.

My point is simple. The ontological structure we have goes like this: Nuffle, Komissars, Leagues, Seasons.

(And friendlies, but that needs to wait until someone realize we're into footnotes of an exchange we already had.)

You can reinterpret these entities all you want. This is what we have.

Anyone who has insisted that we keep CPOMB because it was in the rulz has no business telling anyone about the Komissar Golden Rulz.

Or as a concern troll would rhetorically ask, why change and grow as a coach tactically when you can just change the rules to suite your style of game?

Last edited by thoralf on %b %30, %2017 - %16:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

My point is simple. The ontological structure we have goes like this: Nuffle, Komissars, Leagues, Seasons.

Says you.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:
I agree with Thoralf. You need seasons of some sort to keep the best teams from being immortal.

Could be very long seasons... which is why I made the proposal I did.

Huh?

Don't follow this logic at all. Are you concerned about PO being out?

Or do you just think that R and B are 'wrong' the way they are now?
The former.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a lot more coaching careers have been ended by cpomb than other coaches teams being 'too good'
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I also think Christer has expressed a desire to experiment with seasons in Ranked. Which is a major motivator to my proposal.

IF you're going to do it, make seasons long and let coaches end season early (maybe at any time, maybe at intervals).

And I think it would be a boon done that way.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if this has been said or not...I really don't want to go through 64 pages of posts to find out. But the whole point of R was: To play how you want....pick the teams you want to play accept or not accept matches....enter tournies or not. But by implementing seasons you are going to take away from the players who want to play how they want too by forcing something that is actually not a league into a league rule set. That to me is wrong. Now if you would like to see how it effects leagues...let an established league who wishes to be a guinea pig for the new rule set actually play a few seasons under it instead of submitting all the player base that plays in B and R to said rules....which again...neither is a real league.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Says you.

You mean: so you read.

I'll take reading over special pleading and false dilemmas any time.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
koadah wrote:
Tomay wrote:
League needs seasons

League will have seasons. Mr. Green

IF it is enabled by your league comish.

Majority of leagues on FUMBBL WILL NOT have season play enabled, IMHO.

Surprised

I'm most certainly using the Season rules in the League I run

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I did some analysis on season lengths and their likely effect on teams of different races. Because I was work-avoiding it felt appropriate to write it up in the form of a psudo-academic paper (and so, potentially, is the Journal for Blood Bowl Studies born).

The full text can be found here.
The abstract reads as follows:

"We investigate the relationship between Season Length, Average Team Value and Re-buy Gold for a range of races in the Blackbox division. We observe that there exists a ‘sweet spot’ between 20-30 games where, for the majority of races, the re-buy gold available is approximately the same as the average TV of a team of that race. We show that for longer seasons the re-buy gold rapidly outpaces average TV improvement, which would lead to teams receiving too large pay offs at season end and potentially result in unbalanced games due to large inducement spending. Conversely we find that for seasons shorter than approximately 20 games many races have average TVs higher than the re-buy gold which could lead to the stymieing of team development. We argue that a season length of 25 games is the best fit season length for most teams and would allow largely un-hindered team building up to the end of the second season at 50 games."

Although the method used has significant flaws I hope it gives some useful results on which to base the discussion of appropriate season lengths in Blackbox (or Ranked).

We at the editorial team of the Journal for Blood Bowl Studies would welcome any further contributions to this area of study for publication in future issues. All submissions should be made in the first instance to Dr Squiglet.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done, Squiglet. Or should we call you Doctor S?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiglet wrote:
I did some analysis on season lengths and their likely effect on teams of different races. Because I was work-avoiding it felt appropriate to write it up in the form of a psudo-academic paper (and so, potentially, is the Journal for Blood Bowl Studies born).

The full text can be found here.
The abstract reads as follows:

"We investigate the relationship between Season Length, Average Team Value and Re-buy Gold for a range of races in the Blackbox division. We observe that there exists a ‘sweet spot’ between 20-30 games where, for the majority of races, the re-buy gold available is approximately the same as the average TV of a team of that race. We show that for longer seasons the re-buy gold rapidly outpaces average TV improvement, which would lead to teams receiving too large pay offs at season end and potentially result in unbalanced games due to large inducement spending. Conversely we find that for seasons shorter than approximately 20 games many races have average TVs higher than the re-buy gold which could lead to the stymieing of team development. We argue that a season length of 25 games is the best fit season length for most teams and would allow largely un-hindered team building up to the end of the second season at 50 games."

Although the method used has significant flaws I hope it gives some useful results on which to base the discussion of appropriate season lengths in Blackbox (or Ranked).

We at the editorial team of the Journal for Blood Bowl Studies would welcome any further contributions to this area of study for publication in future issues. All submissions should be made in the first instance to Dr Squiglet.

There you go, ready for the next issue of the Journal of FUMBBL studies.

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work. Smile

Is it true that the money not use to buy players, RRs and staff back goes into the team treasury? Never occurred to me, I though it was just "virtual" money, except for what you have in you treasury at the end of a season (that you can or can not use for rehiring).

I don't have a rulebook to check it myself and you are probably right - I was just surprised to read it. Smile

I also didn't know about niggling injuries disappearing. What's that?

Jump to: