48 coaches online • Server time: 19:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I am currently developing a league with it's own ruleset which is based on one of my interests. Part of the task is to create new icons as it is set in a different universe.

My questions are...

What software/programme do people use to cerate icons? What sizes do they need to be? Any advice, etc...

I have to make about 80 I think.

Thank you for your help in advance.

T

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I used GIMP (free software) successfully.
As my graphic design skills are limited, I found it easier to draw the icons on paper, scan them and then GIMP them. Photographs shrunk in to low pixels also worked surprisingly well.

This helped me a lot: https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=Squiglet&id=19185
And this: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12173&highlight=icons
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That's great Desultory. Thanks!

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I also used youtube for help with Gimp A LOT.

AND test games to see if the icons work Wink
Eventually I got it working.

Last edited by Desultory on Jan 17, 2017 - 11:59; edited 1 time in total
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

When I started doing logos a few years back that's exactly what I did! I just thought the approach to icons might be different. We shall see.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not on topic, but can you copy and paste the code for your forum signature 145 banner. I want to make a Blackbox one Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2017 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=22&page=15 This also is good

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I may as well ad to this...

I have made some icons for the players. Any idea on how I get them to work?!

I've dragged one into the box on the ruleset page but it doesn't appear in the test game. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer posted this on antoher thread which I think may help you...
Christer wrote:
Player icons have a particular format you need to use, with some specific constraints.

All icons for a position must be in the same file (aka. a sprite sheet). An image must be in 4 columns, with each column having the exact same width (ie, the width of the total image must be divisible by 4). In addition to this, the image height must also be divisible by the quarter of the width.

In other words, each sprite in the sheet must be exactly square, and the image must not have any additional pixels outside of the grid of sprites.

For example, an image for a position that's individually 30x30 pixels must have an image that's exactly 120 pixels wide (or 4x30), and have a height divisible by 30 (30, 60, 90, 120, etc) pixels.

Each row of icons is one player, whereas rows are used for duplicate players of the same position. I believe this is done in sequence, so the first player on the team of a specific position will get the first row of icons. The second will get the second row, etc (wrapping back to the top if there are more players than available icons).

The images also need to be approved (manually by staff, like any other uploaded image) before they become available to the client.

What I do for my custom icons is to take a working sprite sheet from a current team ie: Image and use it as my template for new icons, trying to keep the spacing between and the canvas size the same.

Hope this helps.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!

Yes that helps a lot.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Also keep in mind, anything you upload goes into the approval queue. Only you will see it until it's approved.
Not sure, but they probably won't show up in the client until approval.

Bio template here.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2017 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I can put together a zip of all my icon files, including the layered Photoshop files if people would find it of value. I usually start new icons of the base of other icons that way.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
I can put together a zip of all my icon files, including the layered Photoshop files if people would find it of value. I usually start new icons of the base of other icons that way.

I would find that incredibly helpful! I'm in the process of making my own custom league and am currently working on the player icons but don't really know what I'm doing yet
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2018 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Any software is ok. Icons are pretty basic. However if you are having to make new icons what's the concept? For example if it was something like marvel then maybe you could rip them.
 Jump to: