74 coaches online • Server time: 22:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Skill for yeti
Mighty blow
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Block
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

Jopotzuki

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi. I'm going to a TT tournament with the following rules: 1100tv and extra 100k for skills, extra players and staff. 20k for nprmal skills 30k for doubles.

Yeti
2x Ulf, 2x block
Runner, dodge
Blitzer, mighty blow
7x linemen, 2x tackle
Apo
3x RR

Then I'm thinking of taking 2x doubles and 1 normal skill with the rest of the monies. Should I take either block or mighty blow on the yeti? MB + claw is a tempting combo but on the other hand block gives a lot of reliability. With the remaining skills guard on linemen?

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

block on yeti and both ulfs, and give an ulf MB. I didn't do the math, but whatever min lineup gives you this. Probably can't get the runner but oh well.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go w/

yeti - juggs / mb
2x Ulf both with block / guard
Runner , dodge, sure hands
Blitzer
7x lineman (one with tackle, one with dirty player)
apo
3x rr

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I just reread the rules. Only 1 skill per player and no free skills, only the 100k to buy skills/players.

With that combination of players it leaves me with 80k for skills. Yeti MB, ulfs 2xblock, runner dodge. What do you think? Or should I drop something to get that extra 20k for skills?

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
Kondor

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

As it is a starting team that will not have much time to skill up, I would consider dropping the Yeti and getting two runners and two blitzers. Give both runners dodge, both ulfs block, and one blitzer MB.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Get an extra 20k for skills. You can always have a Leader reroll instead of an actual reroll for example.

Oscar Wilde
Kondor

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and listen to whatever Arktoris has to say on the matter. No one knows Norse like he does.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Why skill the Troll at all?
Is it really worth it? are you going to activate it that much? There are some key players in your team, that you need a lot more... maybe it's better to help them out, instead of taking a skill on a snow troll.

I played TT tournaments With, and without snow troll. And the only skill I really loved for him in a TT tourney is "guard". People that get MB or Block... well, they ussually go all berserk with the troll... hoping to remove some pieces (essentially gambling) before it gets removed itself. Hoping that he won't fail (with MB it's a 1/9 chance for turn over). With Block... well it's just the same troll, it doesnt fail that much, but are you really going to lean on him for the important rolls? Don't ulfwerners and berserkers do a way better job since you have the chance to reroll the dice?

Annyway. IF I take a snowtroll... I run:

1x Snowtroll
2x Ulfwerner
2x Berserker
7x Lineman
3x Reroll
30K = stuff

You can choose to ditch a berserker... which is great in some occasions. It will free up 40K if you replace him with a lineman... I'm a huge fan of the apothecary (still 20K left) ... since apo saves a key piece and most importanly keeps a KO on the field. Which is huge with armour 7.

Annyway... skills in table top is way diffrent then leagues or fumbbl. What you want to do, is win games, not skill up. Metagaming is pretty important.

Over here you always find someone playing either woodies or skaven. These players take at least 1x Stripball. At least most of them do. They prey on greedy builds that don't take "sure hands". So I like to take at least 1x Sure Hands. Next to saving you from the "leap - stripball" defence... you save some rerolls over time. And keep your rerolls for block / blitzing and dodging (yeah you will want to dodge from time to time).

I like Guard a lot. There is this discussion between Mighty Blow and Guard... But Guard increases your chances of making good blocks, also protects your ball carier. While MB will increase the casualty count. Against some teams like "Dwarves" , "Chaos" , "Orcs" ... your mighty blow will be strong... but GUARD will be a lot stronger.

If I don't take berserker number 2, I give "guard" to the snow troll. If I take 2x Bersker... I add guard on two of them. You are going to like guard, everyone likes guard... after "block" it's probably the best skill in the game.

You want to have your ulfwerners save from turn overs (as much as you can) ... I like Block on these. But this gives you a small problem with blodgers. Sure you have frenzy... but taking 1x Wrestle is pretty cool. I like wrestle, but you don't have to overdo it.

So my built would look like:

1x Snowtroll
2x Ulfwerner (1x Block ; 1x Wrestle)
2x Berserker (2x Guard)
7x Lineman (1x Sure Hands)
3x Reroll
30K = stuff

If I choose to take a bit more man power... because I'm afraid of facing off to much bashers... then it would look like:

1x Snowtroll (1x Guard)
2x Ulfwerner (1x Block ; 1x Wrestle)
1x Berserker (1x Guard)
8x Lineman (1x Sure Hands)
3x Reroll
1x Apothecary
1x Coach
1x Cheerleader

I still like the Snow Troll... It solves some problems to a certain extent that norse may have. BUT I don't believe in the snow troll. Ussually (with me) he's just trying to move. He does it 50% of the time. Every block and blitz that is to important, should not be taken by the snow troll. It's fun, but it will fail eventually... and every member of your team can do it better... EXCEPT removing high AV pieces. But it's not that the troll will automatically get them off... you still need to roll dice... I rather gamble a bit less, and make my blocks as good ast they could be by taking "guard". Norse suffer a lot vs ST4 guys... and guard just helps your guys that can use rerolls out a lot.

I dislike wasting another important skill that can help your better players out on a troll that has a higher fail chance. Yes "block" suppresses the chance of failure... but he's still not the best piece on the board.

I also love the fact that it has disturbing pressence. When desperate stuff starts to happen, that -1 for catch can be really nifty Very Happy... Just move and fill the gaps. Don't go for it, don't take unnescesary blocks... and if you do, go 3D.

good luck to you!

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Block or MB. This is a religious matter. If you want a canopener, then go MB. I prefer that. If you go Block, you go for stability. That can be nice also, especially with block on everybody on the team.

If you choose MB for Yethi, then I would go Guard on blitzer, as you want to blitz with the Yehti as much as posible. Then Guard on the blitzer could be more usefull. Again, it is up to your playingstyle what works for you.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Oh, and listen to whatever Arktoris has to say on the matter. No one knows Norse like he does.

I still have a losing record. I click stuff and try to make the ball go that way -------->

that's all I know.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2017 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

if I can't go more than one skill per player than I'd take MB on the troll
drop an ulf as they are expensive and take two more linemen...the more linemen the better.

I'd go with a dirty player lino
block on ulf
guard x 2 on the blitzers

no doubles, waste of cash. no tackle as frenzy deals with that. no dodge as ppl always have tackle...let that be a wasted skill for them.

the troll is important as he punches through the opponent's 9av. Same with dirty player.
the guards allow me to maximize blocking and protect troll from being hunted.